Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No 110v power in 2011 Revolution

As our Aqua Hot diesel won't work, and we wanted to be in the coach, I had the Aqua Hot electric element on and had plugged in two small electric space heaters. A few hours later I go out to the coach and I have no 110 to ANY of the outlets.

One of the two inverter panels is reading "AC Overload". I called Coach Net, they had me check everything I already knew to check - all the (6) ground fault outlets, all the breakers (in the 110v breaker panel) and then try to reset that inverter. The inverter came right on but after about 5 seconds kicked off again.

The tech, I'm sure, rightly concluded that there is an open circuit someplace, but he had no idea where to look for it. They'll see if they can find a local service shop that can help and get back to me tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, I thought I'd check here. Any ideas?

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

With 2 electric heaters going probably 20-25 amps how much power are you plugged in to?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
50 amps.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
KIX

J MOnroe,
Are the two space heaters plugged into different circuits? You probably are aware that several receptacles can all be on the same circuit.
So, here's my thougths that may or may not be correct.... Should the two space heaters be plugged into the same circuit that passes through the inverter when on shore power you could very easily be overloading that circuit. Different inverters have different amperage "pass through" amperage capabilities. So, my suggestion is to reduce the pass through load
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Seems that every 110 outlet in the coach is on the same circuit. Every one is dead.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Remove both heaters and turn off the electric hydrohot, then reset the inverter breaker (or reset button). Then try plugs. I can only use one heater on mine. All plugs are on one 20 amp circuit, except our bedroom slide, which is not on the inverter. Ours is a Monaco.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The power limit through the inverter is considerably less than the overall power limit for the coach. In mine, it's 30amps no matter what. You were probably pulling more than that with the Aquahot elements and the space heaters. If you don't have any non-inverter outlets to plug the space heaters into, you'll need to run extension cords in from an outside source.

Look at your main breaker box, and see what size the breaker is that feeds the inverter.

joe
Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check circuit breakers on your genny.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #9

You need to take a systematic approach trying to isloate the circuit that is open,

Turn all breakers off. Turn on the invertor ,if it does not trip, then turn each breaker on till the inverter breaker trips. That will tell which circuit to check.

I am not sure but is the invertor ground falted or any of the circuits ground faulted?

Loose connection on a white, ground or black wire will cause a breaker to trip on a ground fault.

Shore power polarity? Could be numerous causes, please let us know the cause of your problem and how it was repaired. I am keeping a log of these types repairs may save me lots nof time and money.

Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could it be the fuse on the inverter? Had a similar problem, and that was the problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #11

Can't hurt have you tried resetting 50amp breaker. Sometimes they look good but are thrown.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are plugged into 50 amps do you even need the inverter turned on. On my Newmar if I plug into shore power I don't use the inverter.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
If you are plugged into 50 amps do you even need the inverter turned on. On my Newmar if I plug into shore power I don't use the inverter.
On my Monaco, the power still runs through the inverter when the inverted is off. I have blown several breakers there consuming more power than allowed.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Jay,
We usually run 2 electric heaters and the electric element on the Hydro Hot for most of the winter and we have no trouble. It's usually when one of us forget and put something in the microwave that will trip the 30 amp breaker(marked “Inverter”) on the main AC electrical panel. Do you have a 2000 watt or greater inverter??

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote