Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
JSW

No 50 AMP

We are plugged into a good 50 AMP outlet but I am only receiving 30 AMPS. When I switch over to the genset I get full power. I've checked the outlet with my multi meter and it checks out good. Could the fault be with the transfer switch?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

"It checks out good", what exactly does the test show? It must read according to this testing procedure. Click the "outlet testing" page.
Before suspecting the transfer switch, insure you actually have 50A service at the RV-end of your power cord.
It can be burned contacts in the transfer switch, which might be remedied by cleaning.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It could be any of the following:

Fake 50 amp pedestal
Bad 50 amp plug on the end of your power cord
Bad power cord
Bad transfer switch relay or control board

Start at the pedestal and verify each one working towards the transfer switch.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

The " Fake 50 amp pedestal " is hard to check with a multi-meter.
When you say your only getting 30 amps, is that what your EMS says?
If your EMS, sees both legs of the 50 amp in the same phase ( exact same voltage) it assumes you are plugged into a 30 amp outlet, using an adapter.
Many older parks ; faked 50 amp plugs; rather than rewire the park properly.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
JSW

I am not at a campground with a pedestal, I'm connected to a 50 amp rv plug at a church. The connection is through a portable Progressive surge protector which also reads correct wiring and 50 amps. It's coming through the cord and into my MH at 50 amps but then my ems meter only shows 30 amp. That's why I suspect the transfer switch.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Here is real 30 amp service on the left.

Then real 50 amp service in the center.

On the right is FAKE 50 amp service.

Testing is simple.

If L1 is the only one, 120 volts to neutral.

If L1 and L2 = 240 volts, it's real.

If L1 and L2 = 0 volts, it's fake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473524649889.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	138559  
Old 09-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

[QUOTE=twinboat;3248282]
On the right is FAKE 50 amp service.
Testing is simple.
If L1 and L2 = 240 volts, it's real.

Thanks , Twinboat.
I've been relying on my surge guard to do the testing for so many years, I'd forgotten , the testing for 240 portion .

EDIT: Also missed post 5 , while I was away typing.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW View Post

I am not at a campground with a pedestal, I'm connected to a 50 amp rv plug at a church. The connection is through a portable Progressive surge protector which also reads correct wiring and 50 amps. It's coming through the cord and into my MH at 50 amps but then my ems meter only shows 30 amp. That's why I suspect the transfer switch.
You could still be losing one leg from your PLUG.
Your cord could be the cause.
Your transfer switch could be the cause.

But first, I would reboot the EMS control board by removing the 5 amp fuse located on the board for a few minutes and then insert the fuse.

The EMS could be confused.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
JSW

Twinboat, I think you are right. When I get back from lunch I'll try another test and see if I can get 240 across both legs.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about your coach but in my Winnebago, the EMS senses the power from connections to 2 breakers in the box - one on each side of the line. You might want to check that all of your breakers are turned on so the EMS can see both sides of the line. If it can only see one, then it will show 30 amps when connected to a 50 amp service. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

If you have a w/d make sure the breaker is on even though you may not be using it. Has the same issue in a bounder, would only read 30amps on the power management display until I turned the w/d breaker on then it showed 50amps.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
JSW

Thanks everyone for all the help. We moved to another location and everything works fine here. This proves what some of you suggested, it was the wiring in the 50 amp receptacle. You're helping me learn more good stuff and I've been doing this for 15 years.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So essentially you were hooked up to Fake 50 amp shore power which could be either 30 amps or 60 amps depending on how the church did the wiring.

Plus the Progressive Industries EMS unit will NOT indicate whether you are hooked to 50 amp or 30 amp. It has no way of displaying that information. Plus it will NOT shut down for "Fake 50 amp" power as it has no way of checking for that either. I think they were working on a prototype unit that may have that capability but haven't seen anything yet.

Either way it wasn't 50/100 amp which your coach is wired to use.

I built a Power/Pedestal Tester to quickly check any pedestal I am about to hook up to PRIOR to pulling into the site.

You stated in your very first post that you had "checked" the 50 amp power receptacle and it was "good". I mean no disrespect but perhaps you should review the correct procedure for checking a 50 amp r 30 amp power pedestal with a DVOM meter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Tester Modified Digital Model-03.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	138775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Tester Modified Digital Model-02.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	138777  

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
As a quick check, if the pedestal has only a single 50A breaker then it's a 'fake' 50, and your power control panel will show 30A. It must have a double breaker to have 50A per leg.