Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 01:31 AM   #1

No AC / No Aux battery / AC hooked up

Hi folks I have a 2008 Fleetwood Expedition. I'm hooked up to a 50 amp circuit and this after noon I noticed that my fridge which is dual AC / LP started flashing LO DC. I went to the control board and noticed that the AUX battery when toggled said 9 volts. Both AC units were running and didn't see anything else lit up. Everything looked fine on my EMS display panel and showed the service type as "GEN SET" and all the power status lamps were lit and everything appeared to be working. I then thought I may have changed the inverter to off and attempted to toggle that as well as the charge. I thought I fixed it once i turned the inverter to on. A few hours later it did it again. Thinking something might be up with the supply I changed to another hookup nearby with the same results. I then started the engine and with a few cranks the generator finally kicked over but it sounded as the battery had been drained. We left shortly thereafter thinking the generator would at least recharge the batteries. We came back five hours later and the generator shut down with almost a half a tank of gas and the aux battery down to 5.2 volts with the main battery still at 12.8v. I'm currently without aux batteries, the lights that are on are very dim. I have the Magna Sine MS series Inverter / charger and once i'm outside looking at the inverter the light seems to be in a medium flash which says it indicates connected loads are being powered from the batteries which seems odd to me. Am i even looking in the right direction? I mean it seems that the Magnum should understand what needs to be charged and such? I'm really at a loss here and don't want to fire up the diesel at 1:30 am and wake up my neighbors but could really use some thoughts here. Help me with this nightmare of a trip. Thanks folks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:53 AM   #2

If your gen set is like mine , it has no 12v output , it relies on the , inverter charger to charge the batteries when it is supplying 120v power to the coach. If your coach batteries are that low I would expect that your fridge isn't running on propane either , because 12v is required to keep the propane solenoid open.
Check for circuit breakers on the inverter charger, trip and re-set any you find, check the main , 120v power center , in case there is a C/B tripped there.
Do you have , jumper cables ? A toad with you ? a battery charger?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 AM   #3

Thanks. Flipped all the CB's in the bathroom just in case and nothing was tripped. Too dark out to go rummaging around in the other outlet box but I did see there might be a relay or two earlier in the day. I just ran out of LP when I arrived at this campsite. For some reason I thought they'd have a tank to fill up but not the case so I was relying on the AC which is now out too. Defrost coming my way!. Yes, i bought a charger the other day and I have a toad I can jump from.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 AM   #4

Doug ; I'm shutting down for the night, if you have jumper cables and a toad. Connect the coach and chassis batteries together, with the cables , to supply 12v overnight so the fridge will run, turn off all other 12v loads , you may have to connect the toad to jump start the coach in the morning, but you could manage to save the food in the fridge.
I'll check for up-dates in the morning.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #5

Your post came through while I was typing.
Get the battery charger hooked up to the coach batteries , the fridge needs 12v even to switch to 120v.
Remember the charger has limited amps so reduce the loads , as few lights as possible till the batteries are in better state of charge.
I survived 4 days on a 10 amp charger waiting for a converter charger to be delivered.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:27 AM   #6

Good Luck , I'll check in in the morning to see how your doing.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #7

I have had a similar problem with my unit. The AC works but no power is going to the inverter, which is also my battery charger. The house batteries drain and the generator does not help. In my case, the problem was a bad breaker that supplies 110 to the inverter. The AC units are 220 volt and use different breakers. This is done so that no load is applied to the inverter from the AC units. If you have a meter or other power sensing device, verify that you have power going to your inverter. If you have power going in, then check for a breaker or fuse on your inverter. Hope this may be of some help. I know this was a very frustrating problem for us. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #8

thanks folks. just woke up. didn't get to try any of that but will take a look now. I believe there are more fuses and maybe a relay or two in a small cabinet next to the inverter in power hold of basement. The inverter acts as though its working as the green light has a slow flash.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not familiar with your inverter but it should have some type of internal circuit breaker that you might need to reset. I believe the problem is definitely tied to the inverter itself. You said you have power to the AC so would not be your EMS if you have one. It will not be your transfer switch for the same reason. You have lights on the inverter so the circuit breaker feeding power to it has to be on and not tripped. Get a manual on the inverter and see what it takes to reset it.

this is URL for one of the units not sure what wattage you have but they are all probably about the same. http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pro...verter-charger has a troubleshooting section in it. One of the things it does is talk about resettingunit for DC problems mentions unplugging from shore power. remove fuse. turn unit on for 30 seconds then back off replace fuse and turn on power
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #10

[QUOTE=cdchristie;2751474]. In my case, the problem was a bad breaker that supplies 110 to the inverter. The AC units are 220 volt and use different breakers. This is done so that no load is applied to the inverter from the AC units. QUOTE]

cdchristie; Welcome to iRV2. You haven't filled out any "about me" info , so I can't say what coach you have , but I'm not aware of any coach air conditioners that operate on 220v. Needing 220v would mean that if you had a site with only 30amp service , you would not be able to run your air conditioning even if you plugged in using adaptors..
The power for your air conditioners will definitely be wired independent of all inverted circuits in your coach, and I may be wrong , but they should only be 120v air conditioners.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

Your "inverter" is also a converter and charger. My first thought is that the charger function is not working. Check all the circuit breakers on the inverter and be sure it is "on". If you cannot find any blown breakers or fuses, you need to have the output of the charger checked with a volt/ohm meter. You may have to replace it. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

Hey everyone! All is not lost but thought it was. I ran through all of your ideas and to be honest I'm kind of embarrassed and ASSUMED too much. Probably stared at it too hard and too long. So here goes the end game. So to follow everyone's threads I checked all the relays, CB's, fuses with an ohm meter etc and was about to throw in the towel then thought a bit harder. "the batteries were saying they were being charged, the inverter was flashing as it was charging etc etc...but yet the Aux battery kept saying 5 volts vs 12 or higher. I then kicked the engine over, then the generator and watched the line voltage to the aux battery showed 12 volts. I ran it this way for about 30 min then shut the diesel down and watched the aux battery slowly but surely trickle down again! Ureka. Ok, more like damn it. Even though the batteries were brand new in May and I bought the coach three weeks ago it never dawned on me that the batteries might be dry. Sure enough. All four batteries took almost a gallon of distilled water. I'm up and running but with a red face and almost scared to poke my head out of the coach. Thanks so much for everyone's help. I hope others see this and don't discount one of the easiest things to overlook, at least in my mind. Thanks again! So where do I stand in the running for the Darwin award anyway...???
Old 09-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I would be concerned that batteries only 4-5 months old were totally dry. Your converter/inverter may be overcharging and cooking the batteries. It would be worth checking.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

Thanks that is a good point. Will keep an eye on it.

Tags
battery