Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

No Air Conditioning with Generator Running

I went down to Crestview, Florida Wednesday, where I keep my motot home covered/stored to do my semi-weekly start up and system run up. One thing I found was that the air conditioners were not running with generator only. With 50 amp ground power on, they ran like a champ. I got home, baffled, because I distinctly remember overnight camping last summer in a rest stop with generator only. After I got home, trying to figure out where to go next, I realized that I did not pull the 50 amp plug out of the power receptacle, I just turned off the circuit breakers. Would having that receptacle still plugged in cause the air conditioners not to run with generator power? Thanks for reading.

jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

The auto transfer switch , should disconnect shore power and put the gen set power through to all the coach systems.
There are circuit breakers on most gen sets that will have to be checked.
What else did you check to see if the gen set was supplying power to the interior . Microwave , clock lit up , other 110 volt system operation ?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

I checked all system breakers and they were all in. I actually pulled them all and reset them to make sure. I checked all systems except the microwave, and everything seemed to work OK except for the AC's.. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

The circuit breakers I checked were the main house breakers inside in the hallway. Are there breakers actually on the generator itself?
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

Now that you mention it, I noticed that one of the night lights plugged into a 110 vac power receptacle beside the bed was also inoperative. Could you tell me more about the generator circuit breakers? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Can you post your gen set brand and size ?
My unit 99 Onan 7500 only has one , right beside the start button on the gen set itself.
Your year and model may be different and may require access to the manual to be sure of location.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

One downside of buying a used MH is that you don't get all the manuals. I didn't get one for my unit when I bought it. According to the Thor website literature, my MH has an Onan Microquiet 4000 watt unit, model number RV QG 4000. I am Googling that now to see what I can find out about it.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Are there breakers actually on the generator itself?
There are breakers on my generator, your motor home may be different.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

I found a manual for the generator on the web. It didn't show a specific place where the breakers are located, but says it has two 100 vac breakers and one 12 fuse. I am sure they are on or around the generator somewhere. My MH is stored about 50 miles from my home. I will go over there tomorrow and see if I can find them. Thank you Skip426, I believe you have sent me in the right direction to look. Will post again once I can get over there and look.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Also if the microwave clock isn't flashing that's a pretty quick clue that you're not getting ac power. On an old class c we had the power plug was removed from pedestal and had to be plugged into a receptacle at the back of coach or no ac. It would vibrate part way out of plug and DW learned to quick look at microwave to see if no power.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I need to ask although given the relative youth of your rig I think I know the answer. Do you have an auto transfer switch or does your power cord plug into a receptacle inside your power bay when not plugged into a pedestal. My admittedly older rig doesn't not have a transfer switch. Generator power is sent to the coach by being plugged into an outlet inside the bay where my my power cord is stored.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #12

I would also recommend starting at the generator breaker. It is probably located near the start/stop switch on the generator itself. Had the same exact problem and it was the breaker on the generator. Second place that I would look would be the transfer switch. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a very similar situation. We had unplugged from shore power, started the generator, but the AC's wouldn't come on. When I checked the Magnum control panel, it indicated that I was still inverting from the house batteries. For some reason, the generator was running, but had not pushed power to the "grid." I called the trusty servicemen at Tiffin in Red Bay. They advised that I should confirm that the Generator Breaker switch hadnt tripped. I slid the generator out of its compartment, and low and behold the breaker switch was in the off position. I have no idea why, but once I switched it to the on position, all functioned as designed. This breaker switch was located on the top of the generator adjacent to the local start/stop switch. Good luck!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The Onan 4000 genset has a circuit breaker near the generator-mounted Start Switch. It is very clearly illustrated in Figure 7-1 in the Onan Microlite 4000 (model KY) Service Manual. See www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

Also on page 2-3 of the 4000 Operator manual, in Figure 2-1. See www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0159D.pdf

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, air conditioning