Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #15

Its weird the auto brake light would come on sometimes when driving and sometimes when parked, when I first bought the mh I thought the auto brake was on when driving it home cause I smelled brakes for a couple of minutes, but it went away, no light came on but when I got it home I noticed the brake light on, maybe it was on all along and just didnt notice it.
So now im going to pull the whole unit, master and hydro, but I really dont think its the master cylinder, something tells me that ill put a new one on and it will do the same thing...pedal goes to floor, the pedel never gets hard even with the engine off.
And im wondering...is the hydro unit supposed to come on even if the key is off? Cause I can put my foot on the brake and hear the electric motor kick on.
Krazzykitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzykitt View Post
Its weird the auto brake light would come on sometimes when driving and sometimes when parked, when I first bought the mh I thought the auto brake was on when driving it home cause I smelled brakes for a couple of minutes, but it went away, no light came on but when I got it home I noticed the brake light on, maybe it was on all along and just didnt notice it.
So now im going to pull the whole unit, master and hydro, but I really dont think its the master cylinder, something tells me that ill put a new one on and it will do the same thing...pedal goes to floor, the pedel never gets hard even with the engine off.
And im wondering...is the hydro unit supposed to come on even if the key is off? Cause I can put my foot on the brake and hear the electric motor kick on.
Krazzykitt, Ok lets not start changing parts ...think for a minute...even if you had no hydraulic assist you still should have brakes...not good brakes but a brake pedal feel.the electric motor you hear running is the backup for the hydraulic or hydro assist ,if the engine dies.....If the engine dies you have no power steering .....which feeds the hydro assist with oil to work...the electric motor is supposed to keep fluid flowing.. so you can stop the rv...
Do you have power steering and does it work properly? Is the reservoir full?..cause this is where your brake booster gets the fluid to work..
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #17

See heres the thing, the power steering works just fine, under the hood theres a power steering reservior, normal size, and next to that is the hydro boost reservior that holds about half gallon of dextron 3, so theres 2 seperate systems, the hydro boost seems to be a stand alone system, is this right?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #18

The hydroboost gets it pressure from the power steering pump. You should see lines going from and to the pump..That is unless john deere used only an eletric pump. When you open the bleeders does the pedal go to the floor? When there closed does the pedal get real hard?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
See heres the thing, the power steering works just fine, under the hood theres a power steering reservior, normal size, and next to that is the hydro boost reservior that holds about half gallon of dextron 3, so theres 2 seperate systems, the hydro boost seems to be a stand alone system, is this right?
Krazzykitt,...........Ok,The brake booster has to have a pump... where does the lines from the reservior go to? the power steering pump ? or does it have its own pump?.....Just so you know I have no manuals for your RV so we are ....as we say! Flying by the seat of our pants.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #20

It looks like it has its own pump. A mechanic I know just told me that if the seal in the hydro boost is blown then its not allowing the rod.to push the master cylinder, therefore no pedal. Does this sound right?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It looks like it has its own pump. A mechanic I know just told me that if the seal in the hydro boost is blown then its not allowing the rod.to push the master cylinder, therefore no pedal. Does this sound right?
Hey Krazzykitt.........But you still should have brakes ...even if the booster or pump quit working.....Back up a little.. you said the brakes worked but you smelled burning brakes..and the brake light was on....that was maybe the parking brake burning as you drove, the park brake is hydraulic released and spring applied........Try this fill the hydraulic tank and open the bleeder on the emergency brake.. and try to bleed the hydraulic system.. see if you have air in the system.........(But I think you still have air in the brake fluid side of the system)...you should have brake pedal... maybe hard to press the pedal... but a brake pedal.

Not to add more to think about... but there are recalls on the auto brake lines for your JD chassis. You need to yahoo.. JD rv chassis auto brake recall.......
Richard
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #22

This all started because the front brakes were dragging, has anyone ever had a problem with the propertional valve going bad? Im throwing a lot out there but my brakes dont work, maybe thats why I got the mh so cheep, lol. So heres what I got, started with front brakes dragging...only after driving for 10 min or so... Went to bleed system, had pressure first few pumps then the seal went out on hydro boost, now no brakes...
Old 06-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
......Heres the story, over the last couple of weeks when I would drive it short distances the brakes would start dragging, the peddle would get hard and it would get to the point where id have to stop, when the brakes are cold they work fine........
I have seen this part before. there are 2 possiblitys.

1 has anyone done any exh work lately?? I have seen cars where a new pipes have heated the brake fluid to the point of pressureizing it and that applys the brakes slightly make the problem worse.

2 with the age of the vehicle one or more of the flexable brake hoses may have gone soft inside. this can sometimes lead a hose acting like a check valve and holding pressure on a caliper.
This can also lead to makeing it hard to get anything out of the lines.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #24

If wrong fluid was used then i question the effect of it on the seals/rubber parts of the system. Suspect there could already be damage exsisting
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #25

I just read about electric assist brakes, someone was having problems with their mh brakes and apparently john deere used the electric assist in the late 80s, so now im more confused. So I have electric assist brakes? there is an electric unit by the master cylinder, even if the key is off and u press the brake u can hear the electric motor kick on. Ive never heard of electric assist, can someone confirm this?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #26

So is all that hydraulic fluid must be for the auto parking brake? Im lost...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Krazzykitt, Maybe this will help....Please note even if the booster fails you still should have brakes!...As said before you still have air or other problems on the dot3 side .....but check this out SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS Recall for 1988 RV1200 JOHN DEERE Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls
Richard
Old 06-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may also help
Operation, Diagnosis and Repair of Hydro-Boost Power Assist Systems
Richard

Tags
brakes