Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #29

You didn't say what year your coach is, but since it's built on a John Deere chassis I'm guessing it's mid 1980's. It's not unusual for a master cylinder of that age to go bad especially if the brake fluid hasn't been changed on a regular basis. The seals get weak or deform and can't develop enough pressure to apply the brakes. If you're sure there is no air in the system have someone look into the master cylinder when the brakes are applied. A classic symptom of a failed master cylinder is tiny bubbles rising to the top of the fluid reservoir as the pedal is depressed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #30

Thank you very much She and I, youve been very helpfull, it looks like I need to fix the seal on the hydro boost first then go from there, but from what ive read these systems are a nightmare!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzykitt View Post
Thank you very much She and I, youve been very helpfull, it looks like I need to fix the seal on the hydro boost first then go from there, but from what ive read these systems are a nightmare!
Your Welcome, I would fix the dot 3 side first then the seal...
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Your Welcome, I would fix the dot 3 side first then the seal...
Richard
Not to beat a dead horse...

But there is not a power assist system on earth, or even the space shuttle, whose failure will result in the total loss of all braking.

If your pedal goes to the floor, you are not building pressure in the hydraulics.

If you used to build pressure and then you opened up the hydraulics, you have intriduced air into the system.

You need to properly bleed the brakes of all air.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I just read about electric assist brakes, someone was having problems with their mh brakes and apparently john deere used the electric assist in the late 80s, so now im more confused. So I have electric assist brakes? there is an electric unit by the master cylinder, even if the key is off and u press the brake u can hear the electric motor kick on. Ive never heard of electric assist, can someone confirm this?
Electric assist is just another way to make hydro boost brake assist work.
Most of the time with hydro boost brakes the power steering pump (a belt driven hyd pump) does double duty as the pump for the steering assist and the hydro boost.
This is just a electric powered hyd pump.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #34

Ok heres whats going on... Took out the hydro unit and master cylinder, the hydro unit has a bad seal causing a small leak, the main problem is that the master cylinder piston is stuck in, we tried everything to unstick it but its done, rebuilt unit costs 63 bucks, not bad, im gonna try to find a seal kit for the hydro unit, if I cant find one then I can get a rebuilt for 183, again not bad at all, so there it is, the main problem was the master cylinder. Now i hope that everything works when its put back together.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok heres whats going on... Took out the hydro unit and master cylinder, the hydro unit has a bad seal causing a small leak, the main problem is that the master cylinder piston is stuck in, we tried everything to unstick it but its done, rebuilt unit costs 63 bucks, not bad, im gonna try to find a seal kit for the hydro unit, if I cant find one then I can get a rebuilt for 183, again not bad at all, so there it is, the main problem was the master cylinder. Now i hope that everything works when its put back together.
I'd just go with the rebuilt unit with the age of your vehicle. you will have some kind of warrenty that way.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #36

KrazzyKitt, My master cylinder went bad about a month ago. Parked the motorhome, had good brakes, cranked it 2 weeks later, Put foot on brakes to put in gear, no brakes, all the way to floor. Bad master cylinder. 89 Coachman, John Deere Chassis, Ford motor. Should be same master cylinder you need. NAPA had the master cylinder for $100. It did look a little different, but it bolted right up and works fine. I was told there was about 5 master cylinders that would work. Make sure that you bench bleed it good before putting master cylinder back on. Sorry to just take so long to reply to your post but just found it. There is no seal between the master cylinder and the hydro boost. Any questions you can PM me, and I will try and answer them for you.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #37

Thanks for the info, I havent decided to get the rebuild kit or just get a reman, the kit is 28 bucks the reman is 68.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #38

OK. So I bought a new master cylinder but decided to just replace the gaskets in the hydro Max unit... I guess its called a hydro Max and not a hydro boost. The difference being that the hydro Max uses an electric motor in case of pump failure. Anyways got everything back together and wouldn't you know it the hydro unit still leaks. I guess ill be replacing that. But the good news is I have brakes. At least the leak isn't bad just a few drops. I'd probably loose a quart of fluid over a 2 month period.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #39

If you do not have the 82-89 John Deere (Oskosh) Chassis Service Manual, you can obtain a pdf version in the site store at CWVRV Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!

I verified it covers the brake system you have and miight save you a whole lot of future headaches.

Dave

Tags
brakes