Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #15

I don't know any PA drivers that got caught without a class B endorsement, because everyyone I know with over 26K lbs have the "B".
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!

When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
KC

I went out and got my CDL, it was not that hard. The real expense is getting the over the road test.

KC
Old 06-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #17

RE what Cricco stated:

Ignoring your home state's license requirements is wrong. A ticket, fine or jail is not for me. The biggest concern I have is, what would your insurance company do, post-accident, when they realize you were NOT in compliance with your home state license requirements? If a driver/owner was required to have supplemental/class B or ? license endorsements on his/her license, and he/she chose to not comply with state law, do you really think an insurance company is going to stand behind you if you were involved in a crash, especially if there were injuries or MAJOR damage involved? Insurance adjusters get rewards/bonuses/high fives etc for mitigating claims, and if they can find any reason to deny or mitigate a claim, they will jump on it.

No excuses here.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
But to the OPs point, do you know of a case where any of what you've listed above has happened? Can you site real life examples? ...and when I say that, real life examples that involve a motorhome?
Yes. Lots of times. It happens pretty often.
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricco View Post
Yes. Lots of times. It happens pretty often.

Awesome... Site just one!

That is what the OP is asking for. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the original request. Just lots of comments about what we should all do... But we already know that!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
My Texas registration states mine is 25,800lb .... what do I need in the state of Texas ?
Nothing special..just a normal license.

To the original post, I would say if you're asking yourself "why do I need a class B" it's no different than saying "why not get an identity card instead of a class C to drive my car".

I have a class B because I work closely with multiple DPS troopers and I asked them about it. They said depending on the trooper you may/may not get asked..if so you would get a ticket (not arrested). I have a class B mainly for liability and insurance reasons...If I get in a wreck I don't want any fights with insurance companies saying I was not qualified to be operating the vehicle.

It's a free country..do what you like and accept a level of risk you are comfortable with.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #21

I know the OP is looking for info specific to Motorhome operators but in reality it doesn't make any difference on the type of vehicle. Be it a Motorhome, motorcycle, car, or semi truck, if you don't have the proper license/ endorsement you are unlicensed and subject to penalties. In Calif alone there are numerous citations written everyday to unlicensed drivers and many vehicles towed. In accident cases license status is scrutinized and violators are prosecuted. Any civil or insurance obligations or consequences are a separate matter. It makes no sense to base a decision regarding obtaining a proper license on the experience of others "lack of consequences", I don't think you want to be the first to find out what they are.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Awesome... Site just one! That is what the OP is asking for. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the original request. Just lots of comments about what we should all do... But we already know that!
Well, Standby while I dig through my arrest records. Would you need any other information? Social security numbers? Credit card info? Geez.
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a CDL (B with Passenger and School Bus) because I drove a school bus for the county. Since they paid for the medical they kept the records (did not need the med card as I was a government employee).

So, the training was helpful, especially the air brake portions, safety, etc.

Now I am in Fl. I had two options; get a medical exam (card) and keep my CDL OR just get a "normal" license. I asked the counter agent and was told my CDL endorsements were entered into their computer so I could get my CDL returned without retesting.

Why not keep my CDL? 1)did not want to find a Dr that could do the medical physical/eye/hearing test. 2)Having a CDL and getting any ticket, has higher fines/points. I got the "normal" license.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, Standby while I dig through my arrest records. Would you need any other information? Social security numbers? Credit card info? Geez.

No. Just a story about what happened. Even the original poster indicated that second hand knowledge is fine.

... and sarcasm doesn't get us any closer to an answer. If you're incapable of answering the question that's ok too, but up to this point you haven't told us anything we didn't already know.

"We need to have the proper license for the vehicle we are driving."
I believe we all agree!

That's the laws on the books.

Now let talk about what happens in reality. In reality, most motorhomes sit idle 95% of the time or more. So during that time, no one has any consequences for not having the correct license. Can we agree on that?

Now let's talk about what happens when that motorhome gets driven by some one with the wrong license.

I'll start... I know of no one who has ever gotten a ticket, or not had an insurance claim paid for not having the right license. What's more, no one else on this thread has sited a case where negative consequences have occurred as a result of having the wrong license.

I'm in no way advocating that someone should forgo getting the correct license, I - just like the OP - am curious. Think of it as an academic exercise.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
RE what Cricco stated:

Ignoring your home state's license requirements is wrong. A ticket, fine or jail is not for me. The biggest concern I have is, what would your insurance company do, post-accident, when they realize you were NOT in compliance with your home state license requirements? If a driver/owner was required to have supplemental/class B or ? license endorsements on his/her license, and he/she chose to not comply with state law, do you really think an insurance company is going to stand behind you if you were involved in a crash, especially if there were injuries or MAJOR damage involved? Insurance adjusters get rewards/bonuses/high fives etc for mitigating claims, and if they can find any reason to deny or mitigate a claim, they will jump on it.

No excuses here.
Not saying its a good idea to not be legal, but as for insurance not covering you, the answer is yes they will just as they will cover someone who is driving under influence. Now they may raise your rates or even drop you, but that is after the fact.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Not saying its a good idea to not be legal, but as for insurance not covering you, the answer is yes they will just as they will cover someone who is driving under influence.
Good point.

A while back, I was curious about this so I talked to a friend of mine who's been a personal injury lawyer for 35 years. He's never had an RV case, but he said that in a lawsuit, lack of the proper license to drive a certain vehicle could be some evidence that the driver was not properly trained, but that's all. Nothing like the "you will automatically lose if you're sued and don't have the proper license" that people often claim.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
I had a CDL (B with Passenger and School Bus) because I drove a school bus for the county. Since they paid for the medical they kept the records (did not need the med card as I was a government employee).

So, the training was helpful, especially the air brake portions, safety, etc.

Now I am in Fl. I had two options; get a medical exam (card) and keep my CDL OR just get a "normal" license. I asked the counter agent and was told my CDL endorsements were entered into their computer so I could get my CDL returned without retesting.

Why not keep my CDL? 1)did not want to find a Dr that could do the medical physical/eye/hearing test. 2)Having a CDL and getting any ticket, has higher fines/points. I got the "normal" license.
I'm a firm believer that it's critical to have the knowledge required to pass a CDL exam ... as well as have the skills to pass the road test. But I'm with Playtime in that I'm happy to NOT "over-license" myself if there's no legal requirement for me to do so. We all live with enough government oversight - I see no reason to voluntarily subject myself to any more.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #28

Quote:

Please do dig through your state's arrest records for instances where the driver of any RV type vehicle was ticketed or arrested for not having the proper license . Just date, location, and type of equipment cited will do.

Since 99 out of 100 LEO's and most state DMV departments have no idea what license is required to drive a RV over 26,000 lbs. I would be very interested in real world statistics.