Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
The fact that they give you a better price if you do have the Class B license says the insurance company doesn't require it to insure your RV.

This is just what I posted about upthread--the lack of a motorhome endorsement on a person's driver's license could be used in a lawsuit as some evidence the driver wasn't properly trained, but that's no different from the other ways they were trying to determine whether your brother was partially at fault for the crash.

I assume your brother had the proper license for what he was driving. If he had been driving a motorhome with the proper license, the same thing could happen--questioning the driver's level of experience.

If the driver doesn't have the proper license, that could be some evidence the driver isn't properly trained, but the driver could rebut that. No automatic "you lose because you don't have the right license," in any case.

Just to make sure...your location is listed as Canada. Did this happen in the U.S.? If so, which state?

I'm assuming the insured (your neighbor) is Canadian--was his insurance company also Canadian? Was it his insurance the claim was filed under, as the owner of the vehicle who had given another person permission to drive his vehicle?
Yes this did happen in Canada. Yes, it was the British Columbia ICBC insurance (mandatory for basic coverage in BC) plus the private insurance. As soon as the police ticketed his son for no driver's license,
he was deemed at fault. ICBC refused to pay and so did the private insurance.
The other vehicle did not have "underinsured drivers insurance" so ICBC would not repair his vehicle also

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Yes this did happen in Canada. Yes, it was the British Columbia ICBC insurance (mandatory for basic coverage in BC) plus the private insurance. As soon as the police ticketed his son for no driver's license,
he was deemed at fault. ICBC refused to pay and so did the private insurance.
The other vehicle did not have "underinsured drivers insurance" so ICBC would not repair his vehicle also
So going back to the original intent of this thread, which was to site negative consequences of not having your Class B License in hopes that it would motivate the OP's fellow Texans to get theirs... we have now sited one case... and it was in Canada!

Good thing there's no expectation of a scientific survey!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #59

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
It is not the RV dealer's responsibility to communicate what requirements are needed in order to legally drive a product they sell. They may (not intentionally I hope) provide incorrect information.

It is the responsibility of the consumer to exercise their due diligence as to the requirements need to be met (special class driver license or driver license endorsement).
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Merely for the sake of continued discussion I would ask for some sort of facts and figures that verify the positive results of testing. In my former life as a working stiff I was required to take an exam to be hired. Over my 31 plus years I found that the test only proved the ability to pass the exam. The common sense factor and the ability to actually do the job didn't always correspond. In my career I drove some box trucks on occasion. Never anything bigger. My first RV was a 27' class C. From there we moved to a 32' class A. The only training I ever received was an hour or two on the box truck with no official state license issued. I'm not convinced that a program of training would improve my abilities. I'm not saying that it absolutely wouldn't but I feel as though I am a safe driver, observant, do not speed and keep our bus in good condition maintenance wise.

I was required to get a motorcycle endorsement but I feel that if you look at the numbers of accidents on bikes, it shows that the bike training does little to reduce any cycle accident numbers. In a very recent short time period here in VT we had an alarming number of motorcycle deaths. Yes it is likely very true that it isn't always the bike drivers fault just as the same would apply to RV drivers.

I would also throw out there that it would seem that most RV owners know what they are getting into and consider the pro's and con's of handling such a large vehicle. I also believe that, overall, government intervention in such a case as this, does nothing to improve any problem no matter how large or small.

My state of VT requires no special endorsement yet I am permitted to drive anywhere legally. I don't necessarily understand the thought process there. If I chose to live 5 months and 29 days in a state that requires a special license I'm still legal since I would still be considered a resident of VT.

Again I understand the importance of training but I'm just not convinced that the feds taking it over is the answer. I'm willing to put my abilities up against any driver. I believe I am a safe and conscientious driver without any specific endorsement.
I'm with you in this regard! There's no question that anybody/everybody on the road today needs to have the knowledge and the practical skills necessary to safely drive the vehicle they're operating. If that vehicle happens to be a large motor home - then that means possessing the knowledge necessary to pass the written test and possess the practical skill necessary to pass the road test.

I've got no issues with requiring folks pass tests (written and/or actual road tests) - I take exception with any sort of mandate of training. Mandated training often does little except line the trainer's pockets. If somebody feels that they personally need to work with a trainer - I'd certainly encourage them. For others, who are comfortable obtaining the necessary knowledge by reading, watching videos, practicing in a parking lot, etc. - the test sets the bar.

Although many of us are legally permitted to operate our motor homes without additional training and/or any additional licensing requirements - I'm skeptical that there's a significant increase in real risk as a result.

Most of the folks I meet who are driving large rigs - are reasonably intelligent people, who were able to work and save enough $$$ to by a very expensive motor home. They're smart enough to recognize the potential risk to people and property - and typically recognize when they're in "over their heads". The few that don't - have a DW that sits in the co-pilot seat and tells them about it.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #61

I found the folks at PennDot to not be in touch with what the law actually says in Pa. I called several times and got conflicting information every time. I finally researched the actual law myself and found I needed a Class B non-commercial endorsement to be legal in Pa if the RV was over 26,000lbs. Took the test and now I have no fears that I am not licensed correctly. You will be legal to drive in Pa if you are properly licensed in your state even without a Class B. The RV sales people simply tell you that a regular license is all you need - they are not properly informed as each state has its own requirements. Buyer beware.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
State licensing has nothing to do with safety, it's about control and fees IMHO...

I can guarantee I know nothing different having or not having the endorsement (except that a farm trailer needs reflectors on.... )

That's SO applicable in my city life
Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #63

No CDL class B consequences

The benefit of testing is ensuring that all drivers are properly and equally informed to handle all conditions while operating any vehicle within each license class. It is not intended to humiliate anyone.
I learned a great deal about handling and maneuvering, having gone from a 32 to a 42.
If you knew everything you simply confirmed it via the test.
My B test took about and hour and was 15 bucks. I'm betting that did not cover the administration cost, let alone the examiners time.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Search your state DMV website for the latest, most accurate regulations
That's what SpaceNorman did, but the information on there didn't cover every single contingency. It was just a general statement about driver's licenses, and would cover probably 99% of people's questions. It was accurate, but it didn't cover the this particular situation.

In fact, I wondered why SpaceNorman was using the Secretary of State's website as authority, but I looked around and found out that's who issues the licenses in Michigan.

Regardless, there's no substitute for finding the statute itself, and as I pointed out upthrad, if it says "except as provided..." you have to keep digging to find out if your situation is one of the exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
So going back to the original intent of this thread, which was to site negative consequences of not having your Class B License in hopes that it would motivate the OP's fellow Texans to get theirs... we have now sited one case... and it was in Canada!
And the only reason we found that out was because I noticed the poster's Canada location and asked about it. Until I did that, even you thought it was an "excellent" example the type of personal experience the OP was looking for about the ramifications of not having the proper license in Texas.

I'm not criticizing you in particular (although I will point out that it's "cite" not "site"), but it's a good example of the need to not take things at face value. Just like the "plain language" version of the driver's license requirements on a website--if you have a possibly anomalous situation, you can't take that information at face value and need to get the specific information for your specific situation.

But I will criticize the story about the Canadian incident a bit, and say that in a thread about Texas driver's licenses, it would be nice if a reply about a situation in Canada revealed that from the start. I have no problem with it being included, because it is interesting, but there's no reason not to include a caveat that it happened in Canada.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

I'm not criticizing you in particular (although I will point out that it's "cite" not "site"),
You are so right. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I Was an insurance adjuster and was never offered a bonus for mitigating claims. I was told to always pay what we owed, no more and no less.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #67

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
My Texas registration states mine is 25,800lb .... what do I need in the state of Texas ?
What is the posted GVWR, not what it actually weighs. Empty our coach weighed in at 25860, but the GVWR is 31000 - that's why we have an enhanced license.

I'm not sure what state the person was in who took 4 tries to pass the driving test - or where they were in that state. Ours was a simple process in Tyler, TX - computer test one day, driving test the next. Not a problem if you know how to handle your rig.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
You are so right. Thanks for the correction.
Hey, just want to help you look smart!