Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #29

I would struggle most regarding insurance issues. Every policy I've ever read refers to coverage when the vehicle (any vehicle) is driven by a properly licensed driver.

If your license is inadequate, I don't see where you have any coverage. Pretty simple from where I'm sitting.

Those seeking instruction for a better understanding of coach systems, go for it. Should it be required? Tough call. I can read through a manual and gather a pretty good understanding. Others, maybe not so much - making it a pretty personal call.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
I believe Canada is standard across the country.
If you drive anything with air brakes you require
an air endorsment.
In some Provinces you now require a special license
to tow a fiver over 10K
Ontario requires a Class D for anything over 24000lbs. You need to go to a special test center and do the same driving test as a CDL with a medical required as well (technically I could get a job driving a dump truck tomorrow). Only difference is a MH doesn't need daily logs.

"Z" endorsement on license required for air brakes. I took a weekend course at a community college which included the exam. Well worth it.

Ontario recently changed the laws on the 5th wheels, I believe made it easier.

Of course with the reciprocity agreements between states/provinces as long a you are legal at home you are normally fine on the road.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #31

In California if you are required to have the commercial endorsement or driving a vehicle that requires the endorsement the limit for driving under the influence of alcohol goes from .08 to .04.
I was on a jury trial where we found the driver of a passenger car guilty of dui having a bac of .05, but possessed drivers license with endorsement. Law holds drivers with commercial license to a higher standard.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #32

No CDL class B consequences

Asking forum members to provide proof why driving with an invalid license is, by itself, invalid.
Why? What's the big deal?
Worried? Paranoid? Afraid of the test? Shy of calling your state authorites with questions? Need an excuse to whimp out?
Those that choose to accept the risk are free to go without the B. I do hope that the forum is advised how it goes.
I got the B because it's required and because I am safer having the knowledge and skills.
I sleep well. YMMV

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Asking forum members to provide proof why driving with an invalid license is, by itself, invalid.
Why? What's the big deal?
Worried? Paranoid? Afraid of the test? Need an excuse to whimp out?
Those that choose to accept the risk are free to go without the B. I do hope that the forum is advised how it goes.
I got the B because it's required and because I am safer having the knowledge and skills.
I sleep well. YMMV

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
The OP has a CDL.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
My Texas registration states mine is 25,800lb .... what do I need in the state of Texas ?
You are good to go with a standard Class C operator's, unless you are towing something over 10K GVWR. Then you would need a Class A.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my insurance company gave me a break in pricing on my rv policy because i do have a non com class B license.
for me its a no brainer,
protects me if an accident occurs and saves me a few dollars

now the funny this is i drove around a whole year with an expired inspection sticker,
passed hundreds of police and never was pulled over
i forgot about it..until a border agent asked me if i knew it was expired, he was very polite and was just asking me a question about south texas when he saw it and smiled

now the law changed and you cant register the vehicle without a current safety inspection. prior to this change.my tags were due every three years, so inspection (lights, horn, treadwear) sort of fell by the way side
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #36

Not to be critical, but this topic is basically "Does the risk outweigh the cost and aggravation of following the laws". Come on guys, if the law requires you to get a class B license, or an air endorsement, bite the bullet and take the class and test. It's not like it's that expensive, and the knowledge my save you either on the road or in a courtroom. Once it's done, you are good to go. One less thing to worry about. JMHO
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #37

The real problem as I see it is! today class B ,next year med endorsement ,the next hazmat because you have propane ,then some 26 yr old just elected politician will try and pass a law that you cant have cdl after age 70 .So you need to think about what you give up everyday and Fight Just A little before you roll over play dead.Just saying!!!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #38

I think the thought that because we cannot show an example of someone who got caught in this mess,,,, is silly. It is the law. It is always a good idea to be legal.

Sorta related example of how bad things can go.....Some years back my brother borrowed my truck and trailer. He used it to tow his race car to the races. On the way home, a drunk driver came in his lane, and they collided head-on. My brother rubbed the right side guard rail for 30 feet before the collision trying to move right and avoid the collision, he had not been drinking and he had done nothing wrong. He received no tickets.

The drunk driver was dead at the scene. He was a known offender, left the bar 3 miles down the road. There were 3 witnesses in my truck, and a number of witnesses in the bar when the drunk driver left. He did not have his seat belt on, and collided with 7,500 lbs of truck and trailer head on in his small car.

The family of the drunk sued us. (us included me as I owned the truck and trailer, therefore my insurance). Also one of the passengers in my truck sued me and my brother. Large sums of money in both of these attacks.

Both insurance companies came after us, weighed the truck, trailer and race car trying to prove we were over weight. As it turned out we were within 200lbs. They also accused my brother of speeding, a professional investigator was hired,, and his calculation showed my brother was within 5mph of the limit. Twice they interviewed my brother on his level of experience towing trailers. This all dragged on for many months. I asked, I had a lawyer, had any of these things contributed to the accident, we (my brother and I) would have been assigned a % of the fault.

Both my truck and trailer were a total loss.

In the end the insurance companies settled out of court. Paid large sums to just make it all go away. I dumped my insurance company shortly after. They were a major carrier, but they were more concerned with reducing their claim then doing what was right. The drunk driver was drunk, he killed himself and nearly those in my truck. Yet his family got a check!!!

My take away from all that. Be legal. You never know when it will all go wrong. When you start talking large claims, the insurance companies go into overdrive to reduce what they pay, with no regard for what is right. They call them accidents, cause they are exactly that. You only have so much control.

L.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Awesome... Site just one!

That is what the OP is asking for. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the original request. Just lots of comments about what we should all do... But we already know that!
My neighbor and his wife left on a holiday, got 300 miles from home
and he became ill. She put him into the toad and drove back home so
he could see his own doctor.
Three days later their son took the bus to get the MH.
On the way back he was involved in an accident. He did not
have an air endorsement to allow him to drive the MH.

Result...No insurance, charged with no drivers license, and
all the expenses fell on him. Luckily there were no injuries.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
My neighbor and his wife left on a holiday, got 300 miles from home
and he became ill. She put him into the toad and drove back home so
he could see his own doctor.
Three days later their son took the bus to get the MH.
On the way back he was involved in an accident. He did not
have an air endorsement to allow him to drive the MH.

Result...No insurance, charged with no drivers license, and
all the expenses fell on him. Luckily there were no injuries.
Excellent information... and excellent example of exactly what the OP was looking for! Downside consequences of not having a Class B license, in hopes that these stories might motivate others to get their Class B license.

Nothing silly about that!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Then you have some states (like Michigan) who send conflicting messages regarding licensing requirements.

The Michigan Secretary of State Web site defines what a driver with a "plain" drivers license may operate as follows:
(1) An operator's license is what most residents mean when they use the term "driver's license." An operator's license allows you to drive passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating capacity of less than 26,000 pounds.
In general terms - once a vehicle hits the 26,001 pound threshold - a CDL is required. However, when you visit the CDL Section of the Michigan Secretary of State web site you'll find the following exemption:
Exemptions

The following people do not need a CDL:

Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.
Anybody want to take bets that the lawyers won't battle long and hard over which takes precedent ... the 26,000 pound limit on a "regular" license or the RV exemption of the CDL requirements?

I contacted the Secretary of State to ask about this specifically. The manager I spoke with affirmed both requirements. (Mod Edit)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Then you have some states (like Michigan) who send conflicting messages regarding licensing requirements.

The Michigan Secretary of State Web site defines what a driver with a "plain" drivers license may operate as follows:
(1) An operator's license is what most residents mean when they use the term "driver's license." An operator's license allows you to drive passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating capacity of less than 26,000 pounds.
In general terms - once a vehicle hits the 26,001 pound threshold - a CDL is required. However, when you visit the CDL Section of the Michigan Secretary of State web site you'll find the following exemption:
Exemptions

The following people do not need a CDL:

Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.
Anybody want to take bets that the lawyers won't battle long and hard over which takes precedent ... the 26,000 pound limit on a "regular" license or the RV exemption of the CDL requirements?

I contacted the Secretary of State to ask about this specifically. The manager I spoke with affirmed both requirements.
In our legal system, once a precedent is set, it's the law until overturned by a higher court. I'd bet the contradiction between these two laws has been settled and can be found in westlaw.