Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

No Cold or Hot Air from Dometic AC / Heat Pump

So while in California my front AC stopped producing cold and hot air. Since I had a second unit, which is new - had it replaced before I headed to Cali, I wasn't to concerned. Since it was so cold heading back I did not test it. This week the temps got up to the mid 60's. Went back to RV and tried it again and sure enough no cold or hot air. The fan goes on, the ac goes on, the compressor sounds like it goes on as well, but no cold or heat. Any ideas? I have searched the site but haven't found anything recent. I will most likely send it out to be diagnosed this week. I am guessing it has something to do with the refrigerant. Since the RV is less than 2 years old I think I am still covered under the dometic warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The original heat pump in a 2015 coach should not have failed so soon, and it doesn't sound like the replacement ever worked (or at least you didn't ever see/hear it working).

If the fan runs but the air temperature doesn't change, the compressor must not be running. It's hard to conceive that two near-new a/c units had the same failure, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like blown capacitor, I keep several on hand, I replace 1-2 a year.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #4

Based on my research it appears that these units are not as robust as the old ones. Since they are sealed it appears to be a mostly replacement option more than search and fix. Thanks for the heads up on the capcitor clyon. BTW there appears to be several owners experiencing these fast faliures, there is one guy who has had 5 sets replaced, that 10 units. Seems to be an issue with the chinese manufacturor.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A blown capacitor means the compressor fails to start, which certainly would lead to a lack or cooling or heating. Your first step is to determine whether the compressor is running or not. Should be able to tell "by ear".

I don't think capacitors are any less robust than they used to be.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Based on my research it appears that these units are not as robust as the old ones. Since they are sealed it appears to be a mostly replacement option more than search and fix. Thanks for the heads up on the capcitor clyon. BTW there appears to be several owners experiencing these fast faliures, there is one guy who has had 5 sets replaced, that 10 units. Seems to be an issue with the chinese manufacturor.
Heat and voltage spikes are the leading cause of failures. Electrolytic capacitors are more sensitive to temperature and have a propensity to expand, causing premature failure. Polypropylene capacitors generally are more temperature-resistant*AND can self-heal. When polypropylene capacitors have an internal short, they tend to just vaporize the local area, leaving the rest of the capacitor to function normally.

Some datasheets of polypropylene capacitors I found state that 90-94% of the capacitors will last >=60,000 hours. Electrolytic capacitors are often used as "start" capacitors and are only used for a short time (on the order of a second) each time the AC unit turns on. They are often rated for on the order of 40,000 starts.

What I'm not sure of is, if polypropylene start capacitors will last longer than Electrolytic, but I would assume so.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vanslam..... I just a few minutes ago posted a reply to this identical thread posted by you in another section of the forum.

While I understand your quest for knowledge, I don't think double posting is considered proper.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

That's because I received no response from Newmar owners here and wanted to get Newar owner responses.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
So while in California my front AC stopped producing cold and hot air. Since I had a second unit, which is new - had it replaced before I headed to Cali, I wasn't to concerned. Since it was so cold heading back I did not test it. This week the temps got up to the mid 60's. Went back to RV and tried it again and sure enough no cold or hot air. The fan goes on, the ac goes on, the compressor sounds like it goes on as well, but no cold or heat. Any ideas? I have searched the site but haven't found anything recent. I will most likely send it out to be diagnosed this week. I am guessing it has something to do with the refrigerant. Since the RV is less than 2 years old I think I am still covered under the dometic warranty.
If the compressor is going on then your coolant has escaped and the unit will need to be replaced. If the compressor is not coming on then then the capacitors would be my first suspect.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #10

So I finally got the ac checked. It appears that the gas had leaked out and the unit must be replaced. These things are considered throw away. So I had to order a new one to replace the old one. These things are not cheap but it needed to be done.

Tags
dometic, heat, heat pump