Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

No dash, running and clearance lights. '97 Endeavor

Hi Dave here. I have 97 Endeavor and on our way to Daytona after dark, I noticed the tow dolly running lights acting erratic, then my dash lights went out and my tail lights and clearance lights went out. My headlights are working fine, my turn signal and brake lights are working fine but with one click of the headlight switch I get nothing with the second click of the headlight switch I get headlights but nothing else. I checked all the fuses, and they are good. I'm thinking headlight switch? Any ideas of where to even start trouble shooting or how to find a switch, Thanks in advance, Dave.
ARCA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

I would start at the headlight switch, you might try not quite pulling it all the way out and then slightly pull it in and out to see if you can get your taillights to work. I have had problems with these in several different models when towing. they get hot and short out from the extra draw of the trailer lights.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

Dave
What chassis? If Freightliner, they have an excellent helpdesk. I think it's manned 24 x 7. It's no cost - 1 800 385-4357. They can help with troubleshooting and possibly give you manufacturer and model of the headlight switch.

If you can get the headlight switch out, take it to a good auto parts store and see if they can match it. The last one I removed was many years ago, but there was a push pin on the switch body that allowed the knob and shaft to be removed...then the trim ring unscrewed from the dash panel.

I have some photocopies of HR Endeavor diesel wiring diagrams for 1997 and for 2000. I can attach them to an email to you if you think having them would help.

Fred
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #4

Thank you Fred, I have the Frieghtliner chassis and will call the help line when we get home. We are in Daytona for our ARCA race Saturday. I haven't had any time to troubleshoot since we got here but it should be severe VFR for the return trip back to Charleston. With brake lights and turn signals we should be fine. I think you had sent me those diagrams before but if I don't have them I will certainly let you know, thanks for the advice, Dave.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Dave
What chassis? If Freightliner, they have an excellent helpdesk. I think it's manned 24 x 7. It's no cost - 1 800 385-4357. They can help with troubleshooting and possibly give you manufacturer and model of the headlight switch.

If you can get the headlight switch out, take it to a good auto parts store and see if they can match it. The last one I removed was many years ago, but there was a push pin on the switch body that allowed the knob and shaft to be removed...then the trim ring unscrewed from the dash panel.

I have some photocopies of HR Endeavor diesel wiring diagrams for 1997 and for 2000. I can attach them to an email to you if you think having them would help.

Fred

Hi Fred, Dave here. I just wanted to let you know that I tried the Freightliner hotline several times and according to them, unless it is an "EMERGENCY" to call back later due to limited staffing during the recent ice storm. Well it was day severe VFR clear for the drive home and I got home and pulled very slowly on the switch and just in the dead spot between running lights and head lights the running lighs come on and when I pull a tad farther the running lights go OFF and the headlights come ON. At no point are the running lights and headlights BOTH on at the same time, it seems to be one or the other. All of you were right and it appears to be the switch. My next delima, I got home and you are right about the panel. I took the screws out of the panel and got access to the switch. Any ideas on how to get the shaft and knob off of the body of the switch housing? I will go fight it again shortly I just figured I would see if anyone has any shortcuts to getting the shaft and knobs off..Thanks, Dave..
Old 02-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

should be a button somewhere on the switch body to push that will let you pull the rod all the way out. your welcome.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

That did it...now I need to try to figure out a part number a try to get a replacement. when I was looking for front amber turn signal housings, I traced the part number to a 1984 Chevrolet Cavalier. It seems like they used a mish mash of parts from different vehicles on these things!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Try this to see if it looks like yours

Advanced Auto Part # 5970857 for 73 Chevy C10 Truck AC Delco D1588

I found it on the Monacoer's parts list.

Fred
Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #9

Thanks for the part number. I did some searching last night before total exhaustion and frustration got the better of me....and of course it was not the same switch. I was looking at the wireing diagram and it doesn't tell me anything. I've got bigger problems and won't have much time to search for a couple of days but when I find out something I will let yall know. Thanks for all the suggestions...Dave.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #10

Well I found the replacement switch. I took the old one down to the local O'Reilly's and the assistant manager used to be a parts guy for Freightliner custom chassis and he knew what to look for. He pulled me a switch and it is an identical physically to what I pulled out, down to the terminal lettering. I got it $22.00 and some change with my military discount. I put it in and the connector went right in place. Well one pull, and nothing, second detent and the headlights came on. I pulled it back in slightly on the "hump" between the parking light position and the headlight on position and EVERYTHING came on as advertised. I push in slightly and everything goes out, pull out ever so slightly and the parking lights go off and the headlights stay on. I told him about a clicking I hear when the dash and parking lights pop on and it was a theory that the relay we hear clicking on and off as the parking and dash lights come on and go off might not be holding power like they should. I will take the wifie out and trouble shoot tomorrow or wednesday and Dave at O'Reilly's said it was probably that relay not holding power and it should be easy to get another relay. If not..OMG>>>>WIREING NIGHTMARE !!!!!!....We will see how it goes, but I will post results here. By the way, the switch is BWD part number S453 and it fits Ford Trucks from 1981 through 1986 Broncos, F100s, F150s and F250s. Glad to see it has some Ford in her...LOL...Catch yall later fellas..I will keep you updated. Dave.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #11

the first time I came across this problem I had a 88 f250 that I towed a enclosed trailer with and would burn the switch every few trips. never a problem until it got the extra draw of the trailer. that's how I found out about pushing and pulling the lever until you got both head/taillights. I ended up getting sick of the problems and put the taillights on a separate relay with its own power source and just used the taillight hot wire from the headlight switch to activate the relay. never another problem. have done this to a few customers rigs that towed a lot with the same problem. those switches aren't the greatest, I'd try another one before I got any further into the wiring ,have seen more than one bad right out of the box.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #12

I got the only one they had so they will have another one this afternoon. With my work schedule I will get it probably wednesday and see. Dave at the parts store said I could take the new one and try another one just to see and if it does the same thing do further troubleshooting but if it fixes the problem, he said he would mark the one I have now as bad and send it back, so he is pretty smart and working with me for sure. I will let you know how it goes...Catch ya later, Dave.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #13

You may want to pick up a new relay also
BWD Headlight Relay

Part No. R647P

Tags
dash, lights