Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #29

Tfry, I believe the AIMS unit was supposed to replace both the stock inverter and charger so neither are present - unless they are located in different places?

I feel like I know less about RV electrical systems each day I work on them.
cairnclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnclub View Post
Justin, where would I look for those items?

How do I test the 3 battery solenoids? Does it sound like 1 or more of them could be malfunctioning?

I don't understand the gauges not working.
My 2000 pace arrow came with a converter/charger, it was located beneath a drawer under the stove. I replaced it with a 2000W inverter/charger. I also bypassed that 3 solenoid POS black box and solved my charging issues.
randyxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnclub View Post
Justin, where would I look for those items?

How do I test the 3 battery solenoids? Does it sound like 1 or more of them could be malfunctioning?

I don't understand the gauges not working.

Disconnect the batteries and check for continuity. There shouldn’t be any continuity between positive and ground.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
If the charger puts out more than 45 amps and it is run through the BCC it won’t let the current pass through. The charger will need to run directly to batteries.
I had my charger die while out west this year and learned the hard way when I replaced my 60amp charger with a 100 amp unit. Had charge current at BCC but not at batteries.
You should also hear a solenoid clunk a few seconds after plugging in charger/shore power. It is behind the BCC on my rig and hard to see.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
If the charger puts out more than 45 amps and it is run through the BCC it won’t let the current pass through. The charger will need to run directly to batteries.
I had my charger die while out west this year and learned the hard way when I replaced my 60amp charger with a 100 amp unit. Had charge current at BCC but not at batteries.
You should also hear a solenoid clunk a few seconds after plugging in charger/shore power. It is behind the BCC on my rig and hard to see.

Yeah that’s how mine is. If you do that you should put a manual disconnect in however.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #34

Well today, my gauges started working again so I suppose I can bank on that being a bad ground or dirty connection somewhere??

Also it seemed to work when I had both battery switches in the off position?

Meanwhile, only 1 out of the three AC GFCI circuits (sets of outlets) works when the inverter is on and shore power is disconnected.

ANNND the other 2 out of the three AC GFCI circuits work when the inverter is off and shore is connected.

So does that mean the ATS is not working? I am so lost
Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #35

I do NOT hear a clunk when connecting to shore power. No sound at all.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #36

hi, the charger/inverter being installed by the manufacture is rare, except on high end coaches. You must start to isolate possible problems and eliminate them one by one. If the coach batteries will charge from the engine, that is a good start. And they do not charge from the charger. That is another fact. So it looks like the charger is not putting out charging voltage to the. You need to fine it. in fleetwood coaches they put it under the refer or mounter on the floor under some adjacent drawer. It is actually a simple battery charger just like the one you connected, only built for MHs. It is plugged into the 120 volt line from shore power. It is going to be covered with dust dirt, ect. You need to determine it it getting power and is putting out DC. The output goes to a buss bar and is distributed to lights, fans, pumps, etc in the coach. It also charges the vehicle batteries when on shore power. The coach builder uses the least expensive one they can find and they do quit working. That would be my first thing to check.
charlesking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #37

So the bounder never had an inverter from the beginning??

There is a charger/converter under the fridge?

I pulled the AIMS unit today hoping that they can repair it.

I believe I traced my gauges issue to the freightliner VDC because they will stop flicking on and off if you tap the VDC. I also cleaned the connections that go into it.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #38

If anyone was still wondering, I have solved this. The AIMS unit was defective in the charging side and I have replaced it with another aftermarket 8 stage smart charger.

I apologize for not seeing the problem earlier/being stubborn on and would like to thank everyone on the forum!

As for my gauges - now they are not working again and I believe I will start another thread or look through old ones.

Thanks