Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

No heat/won't turn on?

Still kinda new at this rv thing and only owned lessthen a year, so thanks for the help.
1999 holiday rambler 40' 2 units on the top.
Last time I used the roof top units was mid summer and ac worked great. Now cold out was trying to use heat and it doesn't work. It has 1 thermostate for both units. It's a 4 button thermo and you hold the top 2 buttons in to switch from zone 1 to zone 2.
Go to fire up the heat this weekend, turn the on/off switch on the bottom and the display lights up like normal. But when selecting the mode... only goes to fan, cool, mode off. Nether unit kicks on, it doesn't say which zone its controlling like normal and nothing happens.
checked the breakers in a small box between the bathroom, and bedroom. Nothing else i could find that may go to the units.

thanks guys .........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Look on line for a reset procedure for the four button unit. It's most likely blown it's mind. If that doesn't work unplug the units phone line after taking it off the all and then replug. Might also reset power by turning batteries off for a few then back on.

LEN

Old 11-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #3

I have the same thermostat.When it acts up(very often) I remove it from the wall and open the switches very carefully cause they are full of tiny springs. I then spray carefully with tuner cleaner and reassemble.Unless you are very mechanical you may not want to try since the thermostat is no longer manufactured and if you goof up you can't go to the local hardware store for a replacement.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

On ours it has high fan, low fan, cool, heat. We have heat strips in our AC units. It sounds like you might not have them. Do you have another thermostat located somewhere else? When it gets to cold for the heat strips it turns over to propane and we have a thermostat above the ac one.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

I'm very sure it used to say heat .... Tried reset procedure and did not work.
Tried resetting also by turning off batteries.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Going to pull off thermo now .... Be right back
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Still not working... But there is a few solder spots are not shiney like all the others and kinda looks like it may have got hot. I think it's on the capacitors r4 and r5 maybe. How of who fixes these things.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

R4 and R5 sound like resistors. Very cheap component. Check with a local electronics repair facility, it should only take a few minutes to solder in replacements if both sides of the circuit board are easy to get at.
You can also Google "HAMFEST xxxxx" (xxxxxx = your zip code) for local ham radio operator meets. Most likely they would do it for free. Nice folks.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

Just went out to check my thermostat.Second button down changes from heat to cool and sometimes it skips a cycle.Also I'm sure you know you can not have one zone on heat and the other on cool or nothing will work.My buttons can be very moody .I just keep trying till the mode I want shows up. Take aan extra patience pill and keep pushing.Tried a bigger hammer but that didn't work.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #10

i cycled 10 times and no heat ,,,,,,,,,,, doesn't say zone at the bottom either
Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

My solution was to remove thermostat and take it apart from front cover. Spray electronic cleaner into switches and reassemble.I have had to do this a few times.The switches are strange and seem to send impulse signals to change settings.Try touching buttons quickly and gently.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

Can't the thermostat just be replaced with a different newer unit that works?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

So I purchesed a remanufactured thermostat and still does not work. Both units have 120v, and 12v, both 3 amp fuses in the control panels are good.
Thermostat turns on, you cycle through the modes only has mode, cool, fan but nothing comes on and does give you an option for heat pump of furnace.....
Help?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #14

I believe the thermostat uses the information provided by the switches in your AC units. They have a row of selectable dip switches that may have gotten dirty. Somewhere on these forums I've seen that info.

Have a nice day - Darrel

Tags
heat