Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

No hot water

Sometimes when turning faucet to hot side .no water?
Flush toilet it sometimes works.
Otherwise I need to burp the drain.
Anyone have any idea what causes this and a fix???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

I don't understand your problem could you explain a little more? I'm sure someone will be able to help just not sure what's happening.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #3

You said sometimes it happens. Does this mean that the other times it works fine? Does it do this on all the faucets or just one. Are you saying the water will work fine when you flush the tiolet? If you have an outside shower in the water bay make sure you have the valves turned off. Not just the faucets. We do need a bit more info from you, like what type of MH you have etc.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #4

Did the 'no hot water' issue just start or is it a 'left over' issue from being in storage? As has already been asked, it is just one faucet our all of them? Was the hot water tank properly filled and does it still have an air void in it?
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

All faucets are affected. 2005 HR Admiral 36DBD.
How do you know if the air gap is present and if not how do you re-establish it?
It can be fine for days and then it's not.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check to make sure the the outside shower taps, not the shutoff at the shower head, are closed. Sometimes people shut off the water at the shower head outside and forget to turn off the actual taps. This can cause problems.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

have not used outside shower..so it's off. how do you know if air gap is present or how do you verify if it's present??
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is sounding more like a mechanical problem than just a simple air lock. I believe the if it were an air lock that once it cleared it would be done.
The fact that it appears random indicates to me that a tap or valve, like the HW heater bypass or outside shower taps, aren't set properly. In other words valves or taps that are supposed to be fully open are not and ones that should be closed aren't.
Just wondering, does this happen only while hooked to city water or does it occurred while using the water pump?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another question, how is the cold water pressure?
Another thought, if you do have air coming into your system you may have a cracked joint fitting.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

Not sure if all water heaters have them but there is a check valve on the out side of the heater that can either stick or break causing water flow problems ( google rv water heater check valve) for location. I've never changed one but it's my guess it will be a pain to get to.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #11

Is the bypass valve on the tank open?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #12

I would suspect a leak somewhere in the hot water line is causing a pressure loss, assuming you have a traditional hit water heater . Do you see any signs of leaks anywhere or is the hot water pressure weak?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
can I ask a couple of questions. When you turn it to the hot water side no water comes out if you immediately put it back to the middle or to the cold water side do you get cold water out ?

If you turn off the water heater and put it in bypass mode do you get water out of the hot water side all of the time ?
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #14

If my memory is correct the water heater is on the Pass side under the counter by the sink it should have a single lever for bypass and yes it uses a check valve on the output. first open the water heater door and carefully open the T&P valve ( the overflow) if water comes out you have water in the system. In the wet bay you should have a blue and red low point drain valve open each and see if there is water coming from each one. Any water from the red valve is from your water heater and should be in the entire system on the hot side. All the by pass will do is choose whether or not water goes thru the water heater. The only exception is if it is in between positions. There is supposed to be a panel partition to keep people and stuff away from the Water heater I have seen them removed and then stuff will move around and knock the valve out of place causing water issues.

Tags
water