Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

No Hot water and don't know why

In my 39 years of having an RV this is a first. We are camping for the first time this season and I'm having a problem with the hot water that has me totally baffled. To start with I did my usual winterizing last fall, blew out the lines, bypassed the water heater and opened the water heater pressure relief valve and pulled the drain plug and left it out all winter. When I put water to the system everything seemed OK with no leaks. I opened the water heater by pass valve and thought I was set. WRONG... I turned on my water heater and could hear it running.. I open any of my 3 hot water faucets and I get cold water and it acts like there is air in the lines even though it's run for several minutes. I loosened the drain plug in the water heater to check and the water is hot in the water heater. For the life of me I cannot figure out why I'm not getting any hot water out of my faucets. What am I missing???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

recheck the bypass valves and also check that the handle is not just slipping without turning the valve.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

Assuming you have put all the by-pass valves back in the proper position--its possible that the in-line check valve at the top oulet of the water heater has failed. They are made of plastic and when they fail, they usually block hot water from leaving the tank...
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Assuming you have put all the by-pass valves back in the proper position--its possible that the in-line check valve at the top oulet of the water heater has failed. They are made of plastic and when they fail, they usually block hot water from leaving the tank...
If it were the check valve he would get no water at all
Old 05-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Not always true--if you check a mixing valve fixture, the cold water fron the other side will mix at the faucet....still think its the check valve--unless your by-pass valves are still turned??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
If it were the check valve he would get no water at all
Not always, mine was trickling hot water, both check valves were degraded. Its at the shop now to remove them.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

Long shot, but do you have an outside shower with a quick connect fitting on your rig? Check and make sure the H & C handles are both closed. If they are left open, it will cause hot & cold water to mix.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

To all of you Thanks for your input. Although it shouldn't matter forgot to mention that this problem is on a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome. I will tear into the check valves this afternoon and see what is going on. Have a great Holiday weekend to all of you...

Tags
water