Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

No Hot water pressure in motorhome

Hello All,

I have a 1997 Itasca MH on the Chevy P30 frame.

We are on our first trip and everything was working fine. All of a sudden we have no hot water pressure. We have plenty of cold water pressure in all of the faucets, but the hot just drips. I have tried the following:
  • switch between holding tank water with pump to the camp water feed.
  • pull the plug on the hot water tank and the tank was full of HOT water.
  • left the plug out and kept running water through the tank with the pilot off.
  • opened the overflow valve while doing the above.
In short, the rig is making hot water and storing it in the tank, but it won't make it to any of the faucets (at least not more than a few drips at a time.

Any help as to how this could have happened and most importantly, how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Some hot water tank bypass systems for winterizing have a one-way valve built in. Perhaps yours is stuck closed? Also, maybe someone accidentally turned off one of the bypass systems valves?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree sounds like the by pass valve. Ours is located in the sewage bay.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

I checked my owners manual and apparently my coach has 2 seperate valves that do what you mentioned.

One is called a "Water Heater Bypass Valve" and is basically a T valve located beneath my refrigerator. Wen I turned it, it completely bypassed the hot water tank and runs the cold water to all of the hot water lines.

There is also a "Water System Winterization Valve". This valve comes straight out of my fresh water tank and has a see through plastic hose for siphoning winterizing fluid. I turned it and nothing happened to the hot water pressure.

By the way, when I try running both hot and cold water together it almost seems like there is air in the system because it keeps sputtering.

Any other thoughts?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

he sticky valve in question is an "antibackflow" type valve. It would be found in the plumbing from the hot water heater in the opposite side from your single valve bypass valve.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shot in the dark...If you have one, is your outside shower water on but the on/off slide on the shower head off? Not sure if that would effect the cold water at the same time tho.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

IMD Sailor,
no, the outside shower is working fine (cold water only) I had already checked it.

Darrel,
can you provide more information about this antibackflow valve? I checked my manual and it does not list one. I also looked at the water heater panel and see that there is an overflow pressure valve. I tested it and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpro23
Thanks guys.

I checked my owners manual and apparently my coach has 2 seperate valves that do what you mentioned.

One is called a "Water Heater Bypass Valve" and is basically a T valve located beneath my refrigerator. Wen I turned it, it completely bypassed the hot water tank and runs the cold water to all of the hot water lines.

There is also a "Water System Winterization Valve". This valve comes straight out of my fresh water tank and has a see through plastic hose for siphoning winterizing fluid. I turned it and nothing happened to the hot water pressure.

By the way, when I try running both hot and cold water together it almost seems like there is air in the system because it keeps sputtering.

Any other thoughts?
Our water heater bypasses have all been three valves, one that does the bypassing and one each at the in and out of the WH. If the WH out valve is mostly closed (and the bypass is closed) you would get the symptoms you describe.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #9

I just double checked the connections into and out of the HW tank.

Basically, the system consists of an input line coming from the fresh water tank. it has 1 splitter that feeds the input of the hot water tank, and the other end goes to the bypass valve.

There is a HW line that exits the tank (this one is colored red). this line also has a splitter with one end going to the faucets, and the other end going to the bypass valve.

The bypass valve is the only thing that can be adjusted, and when I turn it on, all of the hot water faucets have full pressure with the cold water.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Plastic check valve coming out of tank. Looks like a short nipple. Mine came apart which allows little plunger to move to next fitting. Which stops flow. I used to be a plumber but still blew my mind till I found it.

Tags
motorhome, water