Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I'm currently in 800 miles of a 1800 mile trip and am also a x trucker. In that 800 mile part I was thanked all but 2 times flashing my lights to let them know they can pull back into our lane. I drive 60-65 and get passed like I'm standing still... I also have a dash cam to film the morons that pull in front of them or me and jam on the brakes, and wonder why they get re-ended. Just like a trucker you can't stop 80,000 lbs on a dime.
Give them room we are retired and they are still "trying" to make it out there.
I'll be back out there tomorrow.
JS
Merry Christmas,
Tim
I agree on the thanking. Also on the speed. Coming back thru Atlanta a month ago and was coming up on a wreck my waze informed me of. As we were funneling down to one lane I passed truck number 1 stopped, car number one behind him, car number two behind them and truck number 2 smashed into car 2 and launched it on top of car 1 and accordioned them. Then truck number 3 rear ended truck number 2. It was awful and all caused by too much speed and inattention. Made me sick to see it. No reason for this if they slow down and pay attention.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
I have been wondering about the tandem trucks with one tractor pulling two medium size trailers. It seems like a large percentage of these have a problem swerving all over their lane, much more than a conventional semi. Are these really just that unstable? Jim.
Yep. I've had a CDL since the early '80's and there's nothing I'd rather drive less than a set of doubles. On a standard semi, you have one pivot point under the front of the trailer. On a set of doubles, you have three; one under the first trailer, one where the tow bar hooks up to the rear of the first trailer, and the third under the second trailer. All of those pivot points are controlled only by drag, either under acceleration or braking. Not only that, they are more susceptible to side wind influence. Basically, just stay the heck away. LOL.

BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #59

I agree John Boy. My MC made me a better driver and I must say our coach has made me an more defensive, respectful, more patient driver.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
People are way too much in a rush. If you threw away the cel phones and stopped texting many would have a another couple hours a day.

Too many leave late and try to arrive early on a drive. It seems they think it is their right that everyone else get out of their way. Sign of the times I guess.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #61
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
So funny that so many folks get their "wittle feewings" hurt (little feelings - for those who couldn't get the humorous spelling) and unsubscribe from posts or call the forum names. Remember that we don't have so much time on a forum to spell check let alone to check for your feelings. Want your feelings validated? Check out Drlaura.com. Want to discuss issues that affect RVers? You're in the right place. Play nice. Drive safe.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Well there are ways of saying things and then there are ways of saying things. I think most people know the difference and choose their words to be offensive. After all the best offense wins.

When stuff like that happens it becomes apparent that continuing to write meaningful dialogue is best done elsewhere.

Next we are going to see some kind of "police" statement used by folks who cannot logically defend an undefendable position.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #63

"at least". well "at least" you didn't call us all pigs like another poster did.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #64

Wow. I can't believe my experiences are so different. The truckers I have encountered on our travels have been really great traveling companions. We pay particular attention to the lanes they choose when going through towns and use the same ones they do. I particularly like FedEx trucks because they drive the same speed I do (around 60 mph) and are very courteous traveling companions.

Automobile drivers, however, and particularly in the Salt Lake City area, scare the living daylights out of me. I will take a trucker over these folks any day.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Osborne View Post
Been in a truck stop diner lately? half the place not speaking English, lots of Russian conversations going on.
Don't call me racist...just sayin
That's too funny!

My company hires lots of trucks to haul all across the country every day. And yes, much Russian, Polish, Yugoslavian, Hungarian, and Romanian being spoken these days by the long haul truckers. There is even a developing "mob" mentality that has very quickly pushed American and Spanish speaking drivers out as hired drivers for the most part, (owner-operators are tolerated).

And, they really like to wear flip flops while driving!

Our safety regulations require steel toe boots at the pickup and drop locations, so we constantly get drivers putting on boots before they "emerge" from their cab!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
There is no use fighting traffic and in turn aggravating yourself. When the highway is only 2 lanes I just drive 65 or less. Getting into city areas, traffic increases and so does the level of incompetence. 3 or more lanes, you are just banging your head against the wall by trying to stay in that right lane. Move over, and stay in the middle. Let everyone else fight with the inconsiderate morons who can't merge properly on the highway, and the other morons who refuse to let you move left to accomodate the merging traffic.
Dittos. Nothing pisses me off more that someone that's merging on to a busy freeway not up to speed and then they hit their brakes right in front of you instead of speeding up and matching the flow of traffic and I drive 63mph even if the speed limit is 70. That's why I stay in the middle lane going thru cities. They think we're able to slow 34,000+lbs down in a heart beat. As for commercial trucks I stay as far away as possible from them. When passing one of them I don't drag race I put my foot in it and move out. I know that I hate having cars sit on my corners or beside me. If I have a blowout or a big gust of wind hits me I will need room and by being there it doesn't give me any wiggle room. I try to give other drivers the same courtesy. Ok rant over.

Happy New Year my friends. Keep the rubber side down and shiney side up. Safe travels

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #67

I have a question for the professional truckers who have posted in this thread.

Why do so few of you flash your headlights after one of us passes you? And why do you not acknowledge us when we flash our lights to let you know it's OK to pull in after you pass us? It's as if most drivers don't want to bother with this small courtesy any more.

I'm old enough to remember when almost every pro driver did this every time. Today I'll estimate it is less than 5% of drivers do this. What is the reason?

Rich
Old 12-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #68

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
Let me start by saying their is no doubt I piss my fair share of fellow motorists off every time I get behind the wheel of my motor home. That being said, I used to think professional truckers were the King of the Road. They had the experience to maneuver those huge trucks through traffic like it was nothing. I know many drivers still have that skill. Lately, though it seems a lot more truckers have crowded me out of my lane, cut me off, tailgated, refused let me in, and generally caused me to nearly soil myself every time I hit the road. Is the trucking industry so short of veteran drivers they are putting these guys out there before they're ready? It sure makes for some white knuckle moments.

End of rant. Merry Christmas everyone. Stay safe out there.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Glad you brought this up and has become one of my pet peeves on the road.
Have you noticed that the good ones have a sign on the back that says....how's my driving, call 800-xxx-xxxx and the bad ones do not. Also the very worst have next to nothing written on the back and the vehicle needs a good cleaning, as well. Are these the private owners that no one will permanently hire, because of their attitude or what. It can't be for lack of expertise, for driving and after all this isn't rocket science we're talking here and for all the above, these are ???????? that needs an answer.
I propose that the DMV require all these trucks to have a name, truck number and a centralized DMV phone number along with and especially if there's no company involved for one to call. This info would be in plain view and subject to law enforcement and the interstate inspection stations, as well. Things like truck numbers of some sort, could already be in place, but not for easily calling it in on your cell.
Now, most sure some will call and holler foul at every opportunity, but they'll eventually figure it out, after getting more than average calls on certain trucks in particular.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I have a question for the professional truckers who have posted in this thread.

Why do so few of you flash your headlights after one of us passes you? And why do you not acknowledge us when we flash our lights to let you know it's OK to pull in after you pass us? It's as if most drivers don't want to bother with this small courtesy any more.

I'm old enough to remember when almost every pro driver did this every time. Today I'll estimate it is less than 5% of drivers do this. What is the reason?

Rich
I am also of the age that remembers the flashing lights from pretty much all the truckers. Now it is realy unusual to see so I also would like to know what has changed. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fxsts View Post
I am also of the age that remembers the flashing lights from pretty much all the truckers. Now it is realy unusual to see so I also would like to know what has changed. Jim.
Headlight flash is a distraction and some folks simply use their high beam which blinds the forward driver. I get clearance light flashes once in a while but then again I could care less if some flashed me as I use my cameras to determine my passing distance. other than my cameras I just judge my time passing and know how long it takes to get 64 feet of MH and Trailer past the other guy.

There are plenty of thing to worry about and consider when passing besides reaching over to flash some lights. I have to drink my coffee (beer, soda or other beverage), read my text, google traffic conditions, answer my cell phone, read my gps, set my next course travel on the computer and change the tunes on my Iphone. Then I have to look at the monitors, mirrors, talk on the CB and maybe flash my lights.

For the OP who speak a different language - it does not make them a worse driver. All my grandparent spoke a different language, Polish, Slovak, Italian, German and Irish my first wife was a foreigner. they all worked hard and help our country grow into a better place. There are plenty of stupid Americans that can't drive well. So if you think, where you come from or that your language matters how you drive - then try driving in another country and see how you do there.