Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #71

The pay for these drivers has not changed since the 90s. I have several family members and one close freind still driving. The pay is still the same as when I gave it a try back in 1995. The industry trying to lower the driving age to 18, due to the demand for drivers.
I slowdown, speedup, change lanes, or do what ever it takes to just let them go on their way. Unlike them, I'm in no hurry.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #72

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
The pay for these drivers has not changed since the 90s. I have several family members and one close freind still driving. The pay is still the same as when I gave it a try back in 1995. The industry trying to lower the driving age to 18, due to the demand for drivers.
I slowdown, speedup, change lanes, or do what ever it takes to just let them go on their way. Unlike them, I'm in no hurry.
And so very scary, indeed
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How many of you have an I.C.C. switch on the dash and use it? You know that is mandated by the Commerce Dept. on all big rigs and diesel motorhomes.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #74

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No longer King of the Road

cwqsbm is right. I have dreamt of driving all of my life. I refuse to be treated like they are, so I drive a motorhome instead. You would be horrified to know how many hours of actual drive time some of these students get before they graduate.

Good discussion. Thanks to all for your comments.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No longer King of the Road

powderman: That is part of the problem. Younger truckers cannot drive standards so companies are buying automatics. People don't know how to spell anymore so everyone uses text shortcuts and spellcheck. Cars park themselves so lazy people don't have to learn how to do it manually. Many don't want to acquire new skills or work hard to move up the ladder, so just increase no skill pay (minimum wage) to mid level. we are heading for a society full of fat, lazy, poor, and dumb people.

sjac55 and all veterans - thank you. Also, sejac55, that is an incredible record. I have not been able to get the first million in a car, and many accidents were rear ends when I was stopped at a light or stop sign. ( at least five times).
Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
powderman: That is part of the problem. Younger truckers cannot drive standards so companies are buying automatics. People don't know how to spell anymore so everyone uses text shortcuts and spellcheck. Cars park themselves so lazy people don't have to learn how to do it manually. Many don't want to acquire new skills or work hard to move up the ladder, so just increase no skill pay (minimum wage) to mid level. we are heading for a society full of fat, lazy, poor, and dumb people.
You could not be more wrong regarding the new auto shift transmissions in trucks. It has nothing to do with fat, lazy, poor, dumb or age. It has everything to do with safe efficient operation of the equipment. You see the new automated transmission operate the drive train at a level that humans cannot. It is more fuel efficient and easier on the entire drivetrain. Most importantly it allows the driver to focus his or her attention to the safe operation of the truck. No longer do they have to reach for the shifter, watch rpms and speed. Now they can keep both hands on the wheel and watch both mirrors and the road ahead. How they use this advantage is up to the driver. Hopefully they don't use it to text or use their phones while operating the equipment. That's where intelligence and skills come into play. Automation, spell check and technology is a great thing applied properly.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those may be some advantages, but I would still prefer a standard today, and would never own a car that drove itself. Actually, the epidemic of ignorance can be demonstrated by asking simple questions on the street. Thinking seems to be optional today. How many cashiers can even give change anymore without the computer telling them how much, etc. but that is another subject.

Perhaps the lack of skill is a local thing, but a friend of mine has driven all of his life and says many young drivers just cannot operate the standard transmission properly.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #78

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Those may be some advantages, but I would still prefer a standard today, and would never own a car that drove itself. Actually, the epidemic of ignorance can be demonstrated by asking simple questions on the street. Thinking seems to be optional today. How many cashiers can even give change anymore without the computer telling them how much, etc. but that is another subject.

Perhaps the lack of skill is a local thing, but a friend of mine has driven all of his life and says many young drivers just cannot operate the standard transmission properly.
No argument here. I'm an old guy so I've see the change and agree it's not a step forward. Maybe it's just the "generation gap" maybe not. Like Bush Sr. said awhile ago "it's a good time to be old". Happy safe motoring.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will have to agree with much that has been said. As a 50 plus year motorcycle rider and having gone near 50 years without an accident or violation, (knock on wood) , I absolutely think the quality and mindset of many drivers, young, old, foreign, or other has diminished through the years. Especially now that we're retired, I have the time to slow down and smell the roses. That said, i'm "always" looking at the surroundings at least two vehicle distance ahead and also behind and beside. If I see a bottleneck coming or other unsafe senerio developing I will more than gladly slow, speed up, change lanes (if possible) to avoid and possibly avert an accident. Also, as to possibly why drivers don't flash lights as an indicator anymore may be because of legal liability. When I was a mechanic for UPS, had to take a drivers training course from them. At that time they didn't allow for any kind of communication with other drivers in regard to passing or any other kind of blind condition communication to the other driver.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:12 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
How many of you have an I.C.C. switch on the dash and use it? You know that is mandated by the Commerce Dept. on all big rigs and diesel motorhomes.
not all MH have one and moreover, The ICC Termination Act of 1995 is a United States federal law enacted in 1995 that abolished the Interstate Commerce Commission.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
not all MH have one and moreover, The ICC Termination Act of 1995 is a United States federal law enacted in 1995 that abolished the Interstate Commerce Commission.
Good info. Did not know that.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #82

I have to ask...what is an ICC switch? I only have those 4 million miles OTR and never had one. Pray tell, what piece of equipment was missing? I'll guess it is the marker lights breaker switch for flashing of marker lights. I will have to get my DOT regs out for the issue of lights as signals. The DOT does not approve of headlight flashing as signal and this is what entry level drivers are taught. Gonna check on that ICC switch though, that's a new one on me.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
I have to ask...what is an ICC switch? I only have those 4 million miles OTR and never had one. Pray tell, what piece of equipment was missing? I'll guess it is the marker lights breaker switch for flashing of marker lights. I will have to get my DOT regs out for the issue of lights as signals. The DOT does not approve of headlight flashing as signal and this is what entry level drivers are taught. Gonna check on that ICC switch though, that's a new one on me.
after a lot searches it seems the only people who really want more info on the ICC Switch is MH or RV owners who wish to be like a big truck because they have a switch or want one.
There is no requirement in DOT or other agencies rules that require such a switch but some OTR manufacturers do offer a switch and contact to flash the clearance lights for operators to convey a "thanks" after passing if given a headlight flash.

I get a head light flash once in a while but have no such switch or time to flash while making such serious lane changes. I use my rear camera view for safe returns to lane after passing.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
I assume the ICC switches are the buttons on the smart wheel that flash the headlights or the marker lamps?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote