Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

No more never cold

I did the best mod of all times on my Rv, I removed the never cold and installed a Samsung RF197 Stainless still it looks great and it performs even better. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-679176097.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	24336

Name:	image-1559466008.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	24337

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe, these are electric only?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Looks great!

That freezer portion...when it's full of food, does it try to open on the road?

18CuF...10 more then my Dometic. How big an inverter did you put in?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #4

ninos, looks great ! I plan on doing the same to my rig.

But let me put this question out to the techs out there, I heard they only use about 180 watts of power, does it make sense to have it run on it's own 300 to 400 watt inverter in stead of running it off the house inverter which is 2000/ 3000 watt. With my MH layout it would not be hard to hardwire a small inverter.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinflorida View Post
ninos, looks great ! I plan on doing the same to my rig.

But let me put this question out to the techs out there, I heard they only use about 180 watts of power, does it make sense to have it run on it's own 300 to 400 watt inverter in stead of running it off the house inverter which is 2000/ 3000 watt. With my MH layout it would not be hard to hardwire a small inverter.
You should be able to run it on it's own inverter but you would need to double the startup load,not just the running load, for your inverter size to insure you won't damage the compressor.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Joe, these are electric only?
Yes, electric only...I have one in my coach and it works great off the house inverter (2000W). My wife loves the built in ice maker Mine came with a lock to keep it from opening while we are on the road.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinflorida View Post
That's up to you. How often do you use your inverter power and is being down 180 watts (probably double that at start up) impact anything else you're using the inverter for? If not, keep it simple and do nothing...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just recently did this mod to our coach as well. I used the black unit though.
Behind my Norcold there were 2 outlets. One was 120 (shore power) the other was 120 (inverter). I plugged it into the inverter outlet. As the power goes thru the inverter when plugged into shore power I have power while either on shore power or traveling down the road on inverter. My inverter was replaced 2 years ago with a 2500 watt pure sine wave Magnum unit. I've seen no problems so far, but we've only traveled from park to park, but some of that was 8 hrs of driving. I think the electrical load is very similar (if not less) than the Norcold was. The upper doors we secure with a velco strap. The freezer will come open on you, so we currently block it closed with chair laying in the hallway. The Arnolds, would love a pic of that latch!

Overall, one of the best modifications I've done to the coach. Current temps in the fridge are 40 in the fridge and -6 in the freezer (makes ice quicker and keeps the Ben & Jerry's just right) .

Kerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	189.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	24345  
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

BABrede said: "The Arnolds, would love a pic of that latch!"
Our Whirlpool frig was original equipment on our coach and it has a screw "in-between the doors" latch. In fact we found this thing in a drawer and had no idea what it was until I watched a video on line about our coach and the person made mention of the locking device. I will take a picture tomorrow or Sunday and post it for everyone.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We are having a Samsung 197 installed this next week. We are using an automatic transfer switch per another members suggestion to go from inverter to 110 house and are really looking forward to the new fridge!
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I had my Samsung RF197 installed into my coach here is how I keep the upper french doors locked for travel and the second photo is how the freezer drawer is locked for travel.

The first photo shows an 18 inch Gear Tie used for the doors and the second photo is a small L bracket attached to the fridge body with a straight pin inserted through the L bracket into the top of the drawer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0301.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	24354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	24355  

Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the pics. Did you have to drill a hole for the L bracket?
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it requires two. One for the screw to secure the top of the Corner L Bracket to the fridge body and the other is through the bottom hole of the Corner L Bracket to fit the straight pin into which is the LOCK preventing the drawer from sliding out.

When drilling the two holes ONLY drill deep enough to puncture the surface of the fridge and drawer. When drilling the hole for the straight pin, use the L bracket as a guide to place the hole in the correct position.

Also allow a slight clearance between the bottom of the Corner L Bracket and the top of the drawer surface such that when opening and closing the drawer it does not scrape on the top surface of the drawer.

Two very simple methods that provide excellent locks for the Samsung RF fridge. By using the 18 inch Gear Tie, my wife can still get into the fridge quickly while traveling or at a rest stop and quickly re-secure the doors easily.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
paz

We use Velcro for the doors of the refrigerator section (left) and child-proof latches we got at Walmart for the freezer. You can lock the latches in the open position when you're not on the road. Latches are held on with double-sided adhesive. No holes to drill. Over 4 months and almost 4,000 and no problems.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote