Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I extended mine forward as well...you will love how much cooler the front is in summer.

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #16

Dr did you remove everything on the roof first? If not how did you get under the solar panel? I see you have a pod also do you use it?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #17

We have a new coach with the one piece fiberglass roof and is kept in a garage while not being used.

Anyone ever use any of the polymer based polishes on the roof to prevent the white streaks and oxidation. I'm thinking along the lines of nu finish, wash wax all etc....

Would these types of products work?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #18

I was thinking a good quality boat wax would work. However also am considering applying a clear coat of urethane using spray cans. With proper prep and application I bet you could get good results. However a can typically only covers 20ft sq so it will take 20 cans to paint a 40ft mh. So you could have $100 in spray cans.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post

Dr did you remove everything on the roof first? If not how did you get under the solar panel? I see you have a pod also do you use it?
Gary,

No, I did not remove anything from the roof except the old Norcold Vent cover so the painter could easily access the area underneath. For the solar panel, I removed the screws from the bracket holding the curbside end of the panel and loosen the roadside screws so the painter could rotate it up when needed and lay it back down on the brackets. The painter was able to coat all surfaces that were visible. For those that are under the pods and A/C's I am not worried about them causing a problem.

I have two storage pods that were installed at the factory by the original owners. They used the coach for 18 months traveling abound the country promoting a new business and book called Creative Memories. After 18 months they wanted to sell the coach and I wanted to buy that model at the same time.

Since we are full-time RVer's the storage pods are full as is every nook and cranny inside and outside this coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
That is an awesome roof job! My old Monaco Diplomat used to get the streaks. I wish I'd done what you did. I saw some vendors at the Tampa RV show last week selling Rhino Lining or Forever Roof coatings. The typical price was $3000-$5000 for a 40 ft motorhome. That was for 3 coats. My new Entegra has a thick plastic covering that does not promote streaking but as the years go by if it starts to get chalky or faded I'll look at coatings similar to what you did.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #21

Looking good! Would you mind sharing materials costs for you coach? (Install labor is so variable by location, we can go with time estimates it took to calculate costs for our regions.)

And, what other products did you consider before going with this one, and why this one?

We've had Bus-Kote now for about six months, and pleased with it. I was looking at some of the higher end boating deck paints - but went with the Bus-Kote due to positive feedback from several who had used it. It was pricey, and of course the labor effort seemed similar to what you outlined.

Glad you got this one behind you... and as one who no longer bounces like I used to, I too minimize trips to the roof!

Smitty
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

Looking good! Would you mind sharing materials costs for you coach? (Install labor is so variable by location, we can go with time estimates it took to calculate costs for our regions.)

And, what other products did you consider before going with this one, and why this one?

Smitty
I did a lot of research on the Internet for a coating that met my criteria. Most were discounted immediately for one reason or another. The only other one I seriously looked at was a marine deck paint called Interlux Interdeck Non-Skid Paint available from West Marine. However, the Ultra-TUFF appeared to be a more durable product BUT a lot more expensive too. So I had to look at it REAL close with lots of questions to the sales and tech rep prior to purchasing their product.

The company estimated 5 quarts of CP-10 Primer and 7 gallons of the paint for my 300 square foot coverage. That cost was $743 including shipping costs. That included a special roller to apply the paint.

I had a lot of extra primer left along with one gallon of paint leftover. We mixed the gallon of primer first and applied a good coating but ended up with a little less than 2 quarts left in the can. It was brick hard the next day so in the trash it went. The painter applied three coats of paint because I wanted to use as much of the paint as possible because it was so expensive.

I now have one quart of primer and one gallon of paint leftover for any problems that may happen this coming year.

The project could have been done with less product both primer and paint but their calculations were based on many different surfaces.

The labor charge was $375 which covered a total of 15 hours of labor. He spent 5 different days about 3 hours a day working on the project.

The first day included sanding and cleaning the roof. The second day included taping the perimeter and applying the primer. The next three days were used for one coat of paint each day.

Glad it's done and now I'm onto the our next project of replacing 13 year old carpeting with new carpet in some areas and vinyl planking in other areas.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I did a lot of research on the Internet for a coating that met my criteria. Most were discounted immediately for one reason or another. The only other one I seriously looked at was a marine deck paint called Interlux Interdeck Non-Skid Paint available from West Marine. However, the Ultra-TUFF appeared to be a more durable product BUT a lot more expensive too. So I had to look at it REAL close with lots of questions to the sales and tech rep prior to purchasing their product.

The company estimated 5 quarts of CP-10 Primer and 7 gallons of the paint for my 300 square foot coverage. That cost was $743 including shipping costs. That included a special roller to apply the paint.

I had a lot of extra primer left along with one gallon of paint leftover. We mixed the gallon of primer first and applied a good coating but ended up with a little less than 2 quarts left in the can. It was brick hard the next day so in the trash it went. The painter applied three coats of paint because I wanted to use as much of the paint as possible because it was so expensive.

I now have one quart of primer and one gallon of paint leftover for any problems that may happen this coming year.

The project could have been done with less product both primer and paint but their calculations were based on many different surfaces.

The labor charge was $375 which covered a total of 15 hours of labor. He spent 5 different days about 3 hours a day working on the project.

The first day included sanding and cleaning the roof. The second day included taping the perimeter and applying the primer. The next three days were used for one coat of paint each day.

Glad it's done and now I'm onto the our next project of replacing 13 year old carpeting with new carpet in some areas and vinyl planking in other areas.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Thanks for sharing that info! And yep, Interlux was the main marine deck product I had considered. Felt it would have probably done well, as we are not walking on roofs as much as people are walking on decks! I know some RV owners that did not want a white roof, and went with a color Interlux paint that matched their paint scheme.

I wanted more cooling, and a as funny as it sounds for being a liquid roll on product, a bit more insulation and sound proofing too.

Great labor rates in the area you had this done!!! I paid shop rates of $100+, but had lots of other things going on too, and I trust the shop. The shop owner did give me an overall discount due to all the 'packaging' of the total work. The roof, I could have had done for probably 65% less labor costs. But I got it done with people I trust.

Appreciate your sharing the costs info on the product used.
Smitty
Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
I use NuFinish on my roof a couple of times a year and it works great with no streaks! Takes about an hour and a half. Put it down with a buffer and off with a towel.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Dr4Film:
-No more white streaks
-Additional sealing and protection on the roof
-Solves peeling laquer challenge
-Limited-skid non-slip surface
-Cooler (if you extend all of the way to the front)
-Dicor sticks to it, so can still manage roof maintenance the same way
-Won't chip or crack when walking on it
-Relatively maintenance free

Sounds like a great product. Thanks! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
When I did my roof with Dicor roof coating I screwed a paint pad to a long piece of sheet metal. It was flat enough to get under my roof solar panels.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks really good Richard, and also solved the paint issues. Great idea.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Looks Great

Very nice results. Thanks for sharing the research. I've looked into some other coatings and found them way too expensive or not practical for us. I too am looking for something to cure the problem and not just temporarily ease the symptom. Did the painter have access to a building or was it done outside in full sunlight/heat.