Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

Looks really good Richard, and also solved the paint issues. Great idea.
Chuck,

Thanks.....

Sometime this spring I'll be calling to come over for a visit and see your coach. We are headed to Hearst Castle and the Big Sur Highway next week for a few days. A much needed break from our volunteer host job at the park. We will be here for another year before heading back to Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBeemercouple View Post

Very nice results. Thanks for sharing the research. I've looked into some other coatings and found them way too expensive or not practical for us. I too am looking for something to cure the problem and not just temporarily ease the symptom. Did the painter have access to a building or was it done outside in full sunlight/heat.
Leroy,

The painter did all of the work while the coach was sitting at our site in Deukmejian Wilderness Park. See LINK below in my signature for our location.

The temps are not that hot this time of year and we are presently above normal temps plus we are way under for rainfall this year so he didn't have to deal with moisture or morning dew which is a killer when applying this product.

The only problem we had was a delay between the first coat of paint and the next two coats. We had significant Santa Ana Winds with gusts to 70 mph. Once the winds subsided, he had to hand wash and hand dry the roof before applying the second coat of paint. The third was done the very next day.

It has been 7 days now since the third coat went on so it is now fully cured and usable.

This week I plan to wash the sides of the coach before our short trip next week up the CA coast. Then hopefully February will bring us some rain. That will be the real test for streaks. I don't expect to have any as this polyurethane surface is ROCK hard and very durable.

Also, I have no fear of slipping on the smooth fiberglass anymore. The smooth rubber aggregate really gives a nice textured surface to walk on.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Richard, that looks GREAT! I have the same problem with the streaks from the roof, but fortunately they come off the full-body paint easily. I may decide to do that mod in the future!

You mentioned about replacing your carpet. I really want to do that soon, but there's no one around here that does floor work on RV's, so it will be a DIY project. I'm a pretty good handyman, but I've never done any floor work. Since our coaches are identical, I will be very interested in what you do.
I would love to replace ALL the carpet and the ceramic tile in the kitchen & bath with a premium vinyl tile. I think the laminate flooring would be beyond my capability.

Good luck, happy trials, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Richard, that looks GREAT! I have the same problem with the streaks from the roof, but fortunately they come off the full-body paint easily. I may decide to do that mod in the future!

You mentioned about replacing your carpet. I really want to do that soon, but there's no one around here that does floor work on RV's, so it will be a DIY project. I'm a pretty good handyman, but I've never done any floor work. Since our coaches are identical, I will be very interested in what you do.

I would love to replace ALL the carpet and the ceramic tile in the kitchen & bath with a premium vinyl tile. I think the laminate flooring would be beyond my capability.

Good luck, happy trials, and God bless!
Joe,

Go to Lowe's and look at their vinyl planking. I was initially planing to replace all the carpet with new carpet. I only have carpet under the dinette and sofa in the salon area and the entire bedroom and closet in the rear.

After giving it some thought PLUS finding a vinyl planking that matches our laminate flooring for color, I decided to reduce the amount of carpet I would need to purchase. Instead I plan to install vinyl planking in the closet, on all of the vertical surfaces which includes the bed frame, the vertical area in front of the closet, also under the toilet and on the sides of the entry next to the stairs and the stairwell cover.

Lowe's has a color called "Carmel Roughcut" that matches our laminate flooring and our oak wood throughout the coach for color. I was really fortunate to discover the planking.

Each piece is 4 inches by 36 inches. It comes with an adhesive on the back and only needs a good clean sealed surface for application. It can be cut easily with a floor knife or razor blade and a T square.

I would think the vinyl planking would be an easy "do-it-yourself" project. After seeing it I would not hesitate to try it myself even though I plan to have the entire project, carpet/padding and vinyl planking, all done the same day by the same installer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Richard, I'll look into that! I didn't know there was any planking that could be cut with a knife. Are you saying that you will be replacing the carpet on the slideout where the dining table and couch is? I couldn't see how that could be replaced with tile or laminate and make it look good along the edge.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

I have carpet under the sofa and dinette now and will be installing new carpet in its place. The rest of the salon, kitchen and bath areas have laminate wood flooring that was installed at the factory.

I know that others have installed laminate and vinyl planking in the slide area successfully. I know Ernie Ekberg has done it many times.

Here's the link to the vinyl planking that we are installing.

Shop Novalis 4-in W x 36-in L Caramel Oak Commercial Vinyl Plank at Lowes.com

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Richard, I'll look into that!