Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #15

We had this problem when we first bought our rv. The light on the booster box would light up when turned on. The problem was that there was no 12 volts at the antenna. Replaced the selector box and all worked fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #16

There are some small holes on the bottom of the oval bat wing antenna unit. I had wasps or hornets or something get in mine and build mud nests on the foil circuit board in the antenna head. Whatever spittle they use to build the nest corroded away the foil and caused the antenna not to work. I was able to repair the circuit board and but some small pieces of window screen over the holes to keep them out. The amplifier circuit is actually up in the antenna head. The switch in the MH just turns on the power to the amplifier up in the head. Also check the F-connectors on the roof of the MH. They can get loose and corroded.
Greg

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Does your TV have a digital tuner? If it's the original TV in the Motorhome it most likely won't have one and you will not be able to get off the air channels. You can get an inline converter that will allow you to gt the stations.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Maybe try purchasing a digital converter box. I purchased one from radio shack and got nothing. Took it back for refund with receipt. Got another from Best Buy and it worked. Just a thought.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In response to some posts. I just got this rig so it hasn't been tested. I eliminated the antenna connections by running a coax from antenna to the distribution box. And I did measure the 12v at the antenna connection at the dist. box. I do have a rear TV. I havent tried that on yet. If I could use a test antenna, that would prove it the antenna was the problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #20

It's not hard to disconnect the coax at the antenna head and check for 12v there (coax side!). That will tell you if you're good to go right there at the end of the line! If you have power there, the antenna head itself has an issue. Maybe one you can fix yourself as mahon1993 did, but if not, I think you'll find there's an updated antenna head available that's priced pretty reasonably, is a direct bolt on.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #21

Worst case, a new head with wingman is about $60 and takes 5 mins to install.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #22

Sounds like you don't have a digital tuner in your TV. If not they can be purchased at most electronics stores.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TV update -some success

I had the chance to check the rear TV (Vizio) yesterday. Scanned fine and I have a boat load of channels with a good picture. So I'm pretty sure its something with the Samsung TV or with the operator. I have selected antenna type air, and cable, and scanned for every combination of those settings. It shouldn't be this hard. The rear TV took me about 5 minutes to set up. so I know my antenna is good and cable is good. I may try to call Samsung today.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
As mentioned by other users, to pick up OTA channels you NEED an ATSC tuner - if you don't have one, you need a digital converter box (from what you've said so far, my guess is that you do not have an ATSC tuner). If you do have an ATSC tuner, it's possible that you have 2 inputs for the antenna and it must be connected to the right one.

What's the model number of the TV?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
As mentioned by other users, to pick up OTA channels you NEED an ATSC tuner - if you don't have one, you need a digital converter box (from what you've said so far, my guess is that you do not have an ATSC tuner). If you do have an ATSC tuner, it's possible that you have 2 inputs for the antenna and it must be connected to the right one.

What's the model number of the TV?
It is a Samsung LN-T2632H
I think you are right. I was able to look up behind the TV with a mirror and the cable is connected to ANT 2 in (cable) and it should probably be hooked up to ANT 1 in (air). The previous owner should have put two cables in. I tried to reach my arm up in there to conncect another cable but I'm short by an inch. Not sure why its like that, the Vizio just has one cable and works fine. I don't want to pull the TV. At least not now.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your TV have a selection for multiple inputs? If so select ANT 2. JM2...

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote