Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
No Power

I recently purchased a 2003 Dolphin 5320. Over the last week we have cleaned it (to our specifications) and putting things from our old camper into their new spots. We checked everything earlier in the week. TV, etc. The other day my wife was checking out buttons and could not get the power to go off on the DVD, VCR, Satellite boxes. After pushing a few buttons everything went off. Since then we have not been able to get the TV to come on. The receptacles in the bedroom area now do not work. I have checked the breakers in the hallway and they seem to be okay. There are no fuses glowing in the compartment with the inverter. I have tried resetting the GFI on the Inverter, but nothing happens. Am I missing anything? Any ideas? Thank you for your help

beetlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club

You say you checked the GFCI 'on' the inverter.....is the inverter hardwired into the breaker panel? If it is, check/reset all of the other GFCI outlets 'within' the rig. If the outlets in the bedroom are not working as well, more than likely it will be a breaker (you checked, and they are good) or a GFCI in the series is tripped. Try resetting them, then go from there. Good Luck

Ken Himes
NRVIA Certified RV Inspector #523
2003 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD -
2013 Honda Fit
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Did you just look at the breakers or MANUALLY flip them off and back on? Often you can't tell by looking at them. Are you sure you don't have a GFI on a circuit that you don't know about yet? Like under the bathroom sink or in the basement?

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
No Power

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not looked thoroughly through the coach for other GFI breakers. I found one in the kitchen area and another by the sink. Did not think about looking underneath in compartments.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Is there a simple way to check if the inverter is working. It has a power on and off switch. If I am plugged into my home 50amp reduced to 30amp, should the inverter be on? If I don't have it on do the house batteries charge. I have read the manuals and other RV books and I am one confused person.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
What you described sounds like you lost one leg of the 50amp system. Our ’05 Dolphin is wired that way. Possibly the inverter system, if you have four house batteries on a slide-out tray just fwd of the entrance door. I have very little use for inverter systems, since we don’t boondock, however it should be turned off whenever you are on shore power. Keep in mind your house batteries need to be fully charged and connected to the “house”. The “Battery Disconnect” or “Battery” rocker switch close to the entrance door controls this function. (Red light indicates connected)

The house batteries should charge with the inverter “Off”, however the “Battery” system must be on.

Let us know how it goes.
Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

The batteries are right under the steps as you enter into the coach. So loosing a leg of the 50 amp system - are we talking rewiring, breaker or something else.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, you said "nothing works" I will give you a guideline.

Generally TV, Microwave and Air Conditioners run on 120 volt, HOWEVER the A/C may need 12 volt for control operations (That's what turns it on and off)

Fridge is 120 or gas but again 12 volt control, same for water heater.

Lights are 12 volt

12 volt is supplied either from the battery or from a converter or both.

If NOTHING works.. First trouble shoot the 12 volt system.

SOME RV's have special devices called energy managers that may need 12 volt to operate as well. (They are computers). SO 12 volt is the first thing you shoot.

Somewhere in your RV is a switch that turns off the 12 volt, Depending on how it is wired it may disconnect all 12 volt when turned off or it may disconnect the batteries, leaving the converter to maintain power if you are plugged in .

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote