Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

No power from battery to generator

No power to my generator from house batteries , the batteries have 13.8 volts . Is there a reset button, Circuit breaker , fuses, or anything else.Jayco 31ul 5500 generator 2018 Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Dan Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Look all around the battery tray for a cigarette size box. Its a breaker with a, often red, button and a small trip lever.

Typically has one of the positive cables going to it and close to the batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

Dan , Welcome to irv2.

Sorry you're here with problems for your first post.

As twinboat says there should be a manual re-set 12 volt circuit breaker within 3 feet of the batteries . Look like image below.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

No luck on my gen. with no power from battery ,all reset, fuse good . Power on both sides of siloed, but no power to the gen. 🤷🏼*♂️ Thanks to all who posted to help me. Any other ideas on what it could be? Thanks for any help with this. Dan
Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

There is a start solenoid on the generator that should have battery power on one side. Of its not there, follow it back to the battery.

Check the ground cable from the generator to the chassis and the small fuse on the generator start panel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dan! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have suggested. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

did you find that circuit breaker in the cable between the battery and the generator? please confirm yes or no. on ours this breaker is withing an enclosed box and you cannot see it unless you take the cover off the box.

by change has any work been done recently involving the batteries? are the generator cables hooked up properly?

there was a suggestion about checking for power at the generator. you originally said no power to generator. can this be confirmed? you may have power but for some reason the start switch is not activating the start solenoid.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

No work on the battery or gen . All looks good, ground is closed complete circuit , Power to both sides of the Breakers and solenoid from battery in to solenoid & out , I can’t follow the battery cable from the generator to the solenoid or breaker it’s all underneath my coach .
Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

There is power from the battery to the solenoid in and out but no power to the generator cable from the solenoid. The ground is good there must be an open circuit between the out side of the solenoid to the generator itself I’m puzzled a lot . Last week it started and ran great about a half hour or more , than it stopped running , it just stopped and no power to any of the start button to inside the coach ( two)and one outside on the generator itself . I want to thank all my new friends for helping me with this problem . I have an appointment on Tuesday with Manteca RV and hopefully they can troubleshoot it I’ve been in contact with one of their technicians and he’s not sure without seeing it but he did give me some great advice the same great advice I’ve been getting from all my new friends . Thanks again for ALL GETTING BACK TO ME it means a lot to me . When I find out what the actual problem is I will be sure to post it on this form thanks again . You’re friend Dan 🤔
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #10

Oil level good?
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #11

i'm replying based upon memory. i am not at our trailer with the generator.

you seem to be saying that power is passing thought the solenoid but not arriving at the generator. that would only be one cable with connections at the solenoid output and the generator input terminal. you have already said power is leaving the solenoid. just double check the cable connection there to make sure it is tight. then go to generator and see if you actually have power at the generator input terminal. you have to take the cover off and the terminal is on the lower left hand corner of the generator under the start /stop switch. check that the cable connection is tight. if you have power at this terminal the problem has to be within the generator (control board?). onan has a full two year warranty on the generator so it looks like you would still be under warranty. check with your tech at the rv company to see if they will cover the work under the onan warranty. if not, and you prove that the power is actually making it to the generator input terminal, you could contact cummins to have it serviced under warranty.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 AM   #12

Yes oil is good, I saw a y tube about the gen and he was saying that sometimes the oil level are too high and too drain to the add line. I have not tried that yet but I have a appointment on Tuesday to have it look at. Thanks for all the help. You’re friend Dan
Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #13

please let us know what you find out
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

No battery power to gen.

Hi friends, got my gen. Fixed got power from the battery to the gen. The battery cable terminal on the gen. starter was not crimped all the way, it was taped so it didn’t feel like it was Loose it was taped up if I would’ve checked the cable instead of terminal I would’ve realized it but it was just loose enough for a bad connection. Sounds like a easy fix if you know where to look. Time to put it in the memory banks.Thanks for all your help my friends. Dan

Tags
battery, generator, power