Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 12:46 AM   #1

No Power from Shore Power and will not charge batteries

I have 110 volt to my direct outlet near the transfer switch when plugged in to shore power. the entire electrical system worked a week ago when I parked it but now all 4 coach batteries are totally dead with no voltage at all. The coach was not plugged in for about 4 days. The generator will not start and everything inside the coach is dead. I have tried the cutoff switch by the door and have nothing. I would have thought even with this situation that I would get power when shore power was plugged in but I have nothing. This just came up out of the blue. Any ideas would help. Tomorrow I am going to charge the coach batteries and get the generator started and see if it will power up the system. If it does then at least the inverter is still good I would think. Please help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream14 View Post
I have 110 volt to my direct outlet near the transfer switch when plugged in to shore power. the entire electrical system worked a week ago when I parked it but now all 4 coach batteries are totally dead with no voltage at all. The coach was not plugged in for about 4 days. The generator will not start and everything inside the coach is dead. I have tried the cutoff switch by the door and have nothing. I would have thought even with this situation that I would get power when shore power was plugged in but I have nothing. This just came up out of the blue. Any ideas would help. Tomorrow I am going to charge the coach batteries and get the generator started and see if it will power up the system. If it does then at least the inverter is still good I would think. Please help
I had the same thing occur and I couldn't get the "emergency battery switch" on the dash to help. I concluded that a relay somewhere use 12 volts to allow the shore power thru.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #3

It sounds to me like you have an issue with the transfer switch. Unplug coach and take cover off of switch and move contactors with a pencil or something. It may need replacing. I just had a similar problem where 1/2 the coach was dead and only showing 30 amp service. Fired up genny and it showed 50a on power panel but still 1/2 coach dead. Had loose connection on transfer switch. Also,check breakers on inverter if you have them as on some coaches if that is tripped power to coach dies
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks for your posts! This morning I put a separate battery charger just on one battery of the four and as soon as I did that the inverter started charging
For the first couple min. it was bulk charging but it then went to float right away Since they were all four totally dead last night I am going to let them all charge for a couple hours before I disconnect shore power and start the Generator. I hate to stop it from charging now that it has started BTW shore power has all the lights working now and the both the AC's are able to run. I am not sure why the charger would go to float right away.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Oh JW We were in Brown county 2 weeks ago and it was great as it always is when we get a chance to go there. We are from Wabash Indiana and have been there 50 times I would say. There is something about the place that is very relaxing as soon as I get there
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for your posts! This morning I put a separate battery charger just on one battery of the four and as soon as I did that the inverter started charging
For the first couple min. it was bulk charging but it then went to float right away Since they were all four totally dead last night I am going to let them all charge for a couple hours before I disconnect shore power and start the Generator. I hate to stop it from charging now that it has started BTW shore power has all the lights working now and the both the AC's are able to run. I am not sure why the charger would go to float right away.
If it was in bulk just for a couple of minutes and then went to float, something else is wrong with your system. Four dead batteries should be in bulk charge for several hours before switching to float. Generally, when all are dead, the invertor/charger will not charge. Each battery needs to be brought off of dead and up some with a separate charger before the invertor will charge correctly. One shorted battery could draw the others down. After they have charged for a few days, do a load test and get the specific gravity of each cell. That will identify the bad one or confirm they are all good and there is some other problem.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

You have a good point. When I unplug now from shore power The batteries show 12.5v not connected to shore power and 13.5 conected to shore power and float charging indicated. I have never seen 4 batteries charge up this fast just on float, it's kinda strange. The next question is do I need load tester? Are you talking about the portable one with the knob on it that I have seen at the Auto Parts store? I have tried to buy one there and they don't have any in stock. I just counted that I have 15 batteries around here with fishing boat and mowers and vehicles lol. it would be a good investment I think. Ort is this not what you are talking about? Btw the batteries are just one year old.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #8

Just an update in case anyone is interested. I bought a load tester. All the batteries including the engine start batteries are good and the 4 coach batteries show that the charging system from the inverter is working properly. The engine start batteries do not show as being charged by the inverter and I am not sure they are supposed to. The engine start batteries show being charged when the coach engine is running only. I may have had a basement light on not sure about that. That may have caused the problem to start with.
So far I can say for sure that the inverter will not accept any current from shore power without at least some small voltage from the 4 battery bank. Possibly to open a relay or something. Also good news the generator charges the system just like the shore power does. I feel happy to not have much expense. Auto Zone $44.00 for the load tester which will come in very handy in the future I am sure.
Thanks to everyone that posted on this and I hope this will help someone else with the same problem
Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

I too am surprised that four deep cycle batteries could be recharged in such a short time. Something is not right. Depending on what invertor you have, bulk charging should be up over 14 volts and the float would taper back to 13.4-13.7 volts. A load check is good to check for a bad battery, but the specific gravity will tell you when they are fully charged. Get a SG tester and follow the directions. I think 1.265 is considered fully charged and a difference of .02 between cells can indicate a problem battery. It's the only way to know when any battery is fully charged. Research SG to learn more about how to interpret the readings.

Edit: For your chassis add a Trick-L-Start between the house and chassis batteries. When plugged into shore power or when the generator is running, it will bleed power into the chassis batteries charging them too. Pretty simple hookup and it will not discharge either battery bank. The Amp-L-Start will charge at a higher amperage then The T-L-S.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will give you a list of things to check..Plus an IF. then list as well.

Shore (hosue) outlet make sure the breaker or GFCI feeding it is not tripped (#1 Problem when plugging in at home).
2: adapter
3: Shore cord if detachable
4; Transfer switch.. To check here start at the main breaker panel, The MAIN breaker to teh White wire buss should show 120 volts, IF YOU ARE Not comfortable working around live wires. Find someone who is to do this.
If you have 120 volts there Transfer is working.. IF not you need to locate the switch and check it.. SOMETIMES these switches stick.

Now.. You said the batteries were also dead.. SOME RV's have an energy managent system which runs on 12 volt, IF the batteries are dead it will not work.. HOWEVER. the converter (If yours is independent of an inverter) may not be controlled.. AN INVERTER, on the other hand, might be. (I can make an argument for why it should be)..

As for the batteries going to float.. Might have been good all along, just not connected.. Or it might have been a poor connection between charger and batteries.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your batteries were never completely discharged or they would not have reacted the way they have. I suspect what you really had was a bad connection somewhere. Check all battery connections.

Applying the external charger probably supplied the voltage necessary to bridge the bad connection and also close the disconnect relay/solenoid re-applying power to the system. Batteries simply do NOT recharge that fast.

The problem will return if you don't find that loose connection.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #12

Do a complete check on battery cables & end fitting/connections. The non-start condition & rapid trip to float probably mean batteries were not getting their voltage to the system. Connections & corrosion into the ends of cables are funny that way, works one day and doesn't the next. Often this starts w/an intermittent presentation, then gets worse over time or just craps out.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brown County

Quote:
Oh JW We were in Brown county 2 weeks ago and it was great as it always is when we get a chance to go there. We are from Wabash Indiana and have been there 50 times I would say. There is something about the place that is very relaxing as soon as I get there
Airstream, glad you enjoyed it. I've lived there all my life - my wife and I have lots of ancestors there. Come again anytime...we try to find similar areas when we travel.

Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Had similar situation. Turned out to be a bad battery cable.

This had also caused the fuses mounted on the converter to blow. Replaced fuses and bad cable and now all is good.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, batteries