Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

No power to dash radio

2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V. I replaced the coach batteries before this years across the country trip. To make sure that they were connected the same way as the originals I marked each wire with a tag indicating where to connect it. I also took pictures, So I am 99% sure that the connections are correct. Now to the problem. The dash radio and clock do not work. I checked the 10 amp radio fuse in the box under the dash and it is good. There are two small gauge (14 ga I think ) wire and one ribbon cable connected to the terminals along with the battery cables.

Does any one know where the primary power to the radio originates ? Is a designated wire run directly from the battery terminal to the radio ? Any other fuses to check ? (location please)

Thank you
WoJo
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Call Fleetwood @ 800-322-8216 and have your FIN # handy. They are very helpful and also will send you wiring diagrams.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Did your radio go off and on with the ignition? Most radios have two 12v(+) connections. One is full time, it maintains clock and memory settings. The second 12v(+) is switched through the ignition. Also, many radios have a fuse in the wire or newer ones have a fuse on the back of the radio case itself. Good luck with it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

No knowledge specific to your coach, but often there is a power selector switch that gives you the option of having the radio turn on and off with the ignition switch, OR, be run from the aux./coach battery system. If equipped this way, maybe switch is set incorrectly?

Call to Fleetwood a good plan otherwise.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

no power to dash radio

Thank you for replying to my post.

WAROLAND. We are on a trip from South Florida to Utah. My phone reception changes from poor to none. I will call Fleetwood when I get to a stop with stable reception. Fleetwood has been helpful before.

BFLINN181
I am familiar with the 12v power system used on the radio. I do not have power to the radio or the clock. I need to know where the two leads source their power. The radio should(?) come from the ignition switch( ?) . Is there a second fuse for this wire? Where is the constant power sourced from. The radio and clock worked before I replaced the house batteries .

Thank you
WoJo
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #6

On fleetwoodrv.com under the owners center section they have a format to send an e mail. If you can at least get wifi or enough of a cell connection then they may have something for you by the time you can get to civilization and could follow up with a call then. Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Smile No power to dash radio

is your radio the Jensen? Mine did the same thing as I was playing with it one day. I hit the tiny reset button and all sprung back to life. Good Luck
fedsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #8

no power to dash radio

To fedsales.

Yes my radio is a Jensen. Yes when I pressed the reset button the clock and radio work. Yes you are a good guy for taking the time to post a reply to my post. IRV2 is a great forum.
Many Thanks

WoJo
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

I know this post is a couple months old but maybe you can help me. I have a jensen radio that wasnt working although power was to the plug. Didnt try reset (i will asap) but bought a new radio. As soon as i plugged it in the dial lit momemtarily and then went blank. Have 12v igintion and memory wire and doesnt appear to be shorted out because it didnt blow fuse in back of radio. Any idea what might cause this? Possibly a speaker shorted out somewhere???
Narflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you 'bench tested' either radio to see if they operate? If they work that way, then you'll have to trace wiring in RV. Check fuse block to find 12 v sources for memory and switched power. The memory 12 v (+) might be piggy-backed on another circuit, check that all other 12 v works in dash including lights, power plugs, etc. You might include RV type and chassis in your signature to help us know what type RV you're dealing with.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #11

Narflack. After changing the coach batteries our Jensen radio would not work. As suggested by fedsales I used a paper clip to press the reset button. The radio powered up but there was no sound. In the owners manual it states to press the Mode button , it worked for us . I think that I had to press it several times for the correct mode. Furniss
Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #12

Sorry I should have given more info. It is a 2000 coachman mirada on a Chevy workhorse chassis. The power (red) wire is not wired thru the ignition thus like the memory wire (yellow) it stays hot all the time. I have tested both with voltmeter and the have 12v to the radio plug. Wasn't aware of the reset button on the Jensen radio but will try it today. The new kenwood radio powered up very briefly and then went blank. Makes me wonder if something in speaker wiring is causing an overload thus causing both radios to shutdown. Neither the power supply or memory fuse blows. Think I will try resetting old radio, connecting just power and if that holds 1 speaker at a time to see if any one wire causes the failure. Hopefully I can get old radio to work can't risk messing another new one up!

Thanks for your advice and assistance
Narflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your description does not support a shorted speaker lead... I do not think Kenwoods have a reset like the kenwood but I only have worked with one model.

Make sure the 12 volt (Both leads) is good, I would attach test lamps to be sure.. Double check your grounds.

Hook that test lamp between 12 volt leads and the radio chassis.
(NOTE: You may need to upgrade memory fuse if you do this on the memory lead or use and LED on the memory lead)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being that the dash is fiberglass, it might need a ground wire. I would try to run a ground wire from the steel chassis to the metal case of the radio to see if it would power up.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, power, radio