Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No power to toad

Any suggestions? 2011 Coachmen Mirada pulling a 2014 Explorer. I know the toad is not the issue, is there a fuse I need to check? I checked all under dash fuses and they are ok.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #2

Not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean you don't have 12 volt power to keep the Explorer battery charged? Or you don't have turn signals/lights/etc? Was the "power to toad" ever working, or is this a new install?

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power for tail lights, blinkers etc.... They were working last trip, now no lights are working. I did have toad set up two months ago. The toad is not the issue, when I hook it up to a friends Motorhome everything works fine. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #4

Since we have different coaches I'll be as general as I can be. Since you don't have turn signals and/or tail lights and I'm assuming don't have stop lights either. If it was me, the first thing I would look for would be a broken/bad ground connection at the coach plug. All electricity from the coach to the Explorer needs to be returned back to the coach by the one and only ground wire in the plug. I suspect the coach end of the plug is either damaged or corroded.

To answer your question, I do not know of a system where all toad lighting comes through one fuse, unless the coach manufacturer used relays to control the lighting. My first step is to look at the ground connection.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
  1. I would check with the dealer. There is one possibility. A lot of coaches have a separate turn signal light and separate brake lights. Most tow hookups use the brake light as a brake light and turn signal lights. There is a device that is wired into the circuit before the 7 pin hookup on your coach. This is an active device with circuitry and if something happens to it you will not get any power to your toad lights. With that said I thought that my device had gone out and found out there were some fuses that were not listed in the wiring diagram for my coach. These were in a totally separate place from any of my other fuses and were used to fuse the trailer lights.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #6

Good point about the converter box gemini5362. There are several different ways the "trailer(toad) lights" are configured by the RV coach and/or chassis manufacture. Some just take the voltage directly from the coach lighting, others take the voltage from the coach to trigger relays that sends battery voltage to the trailer(toad), others use that converter box to change the way the lighting is applied in the toad etc. Its just going to be a job tracing the problem to the cause.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replays. I had a mini 20 amp fuse that was blown. It was in a spot where I did not know I had fuses!! 150 dollar service call later it is working.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf4865 View Post
Thanks for the replays. I had a mini 20 amp fuse that was blown. It was in a spot where I did not know I had fuses!! 150 dollar service call later it is working.

Sounds like my experience. I had the mechanics working on something else and asked them to check why I did not have voltage. The mechanic at the rv shop says they have one mechanic that is older and is their expert on trailer lighting. The mechanic said he went to him and found out about the separate fuses for the trailer lights. Like your unit mine are in an area that I did not know had fuses. The fuses are not listed on the wiring diagram for my coach. I am glad you got tI fixed and now have some new knowledge. When someone else with a coach like yours has the same problem you will be able to tell them exactly where to go look.

Tags
power, toad