Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

No water pressure

I have searched high and low and can find no answer or solution to my low water pressure problem.

I have a 1988 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 27'. I have very little water pressure when trying to use city water. When I turn the onboard pump on, every faucet and shower has plenty of pressure. I am tired of continuously having to refill the fresh water tank though.

I believe that when the onboard pump is in use some type of "valve" closes not allowing city water to be used. Maybe that "valve" is stuck?...and where would it be.

I have a direct hose from the city water connection to the RV...lots of pressure if removed from RV and tested. The hose itself is very hard...lots of pressure there too.

Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Two things come to mind. There should be a check valve on the connection to the city water hose to prevent back flow. I suppose that valve could be defective or clogged robbing you of pressure. Also, if you have an in line water filter, that could be clogged.

As for using the pump while you're hooked up to city water... I think this typically increases the pressure by combining flow from city water with water from your holding tank which is supplied by the pump. Not sure about your vintage of coach but that's how it works on mine.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I know this might sound silly, but at the place where you connect your hose to the city water inlet have you looked inside the inlet at the little screen that is almost always installed in there. I had a similar low pressure situation occur on a MH a few years ago and the culprit was that little screen that had, over time, gotten clogged with "gunk". Once I cleaned it out, everything was back to normal.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I know this might sound silly, but at the place where you connect your hose to the city water inlet have you looked inside the inlet at the little screen that is almost always installed in there. I had a similar low pressure situation occur on a MH a few years ago and the culprit was that little screen that had, over time, gotten clogged with "gunk". Once I cleaned it out, everything was back to normal.
I just replaced the entire city water tank fill box on ours,, due to that mentioned check valve leaking when the pump was on. Super easy,, $25 on ebay for an "exact" matching part.
Nobody has mentioned you should use a pressure regulator on the city hose to keep from over-pressurizing the system...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Okay, I removed the three screws holding the city water inlet/dish to the RV. There was not a screen inside the connection, that is why I removed it from RV. There was a small white "plunger" which rattled loose inside the connection. I popped it out so there is now a DIRECT flow of FULL PRESSURE going into the RV.

I think I better go get a new water inlet assembly ASAP though. I understand there is a a possibility of over-pressurizing the system.

Anyhow, don't have to run the pump anymore. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleankutken View Post
Okay, I removed the three screws holding the city water inlet/dish to the RV. There was not a screen inside the connection, that is why I removed it from RV. There was a small white "plunger" which rattled loose inside the connection. I popped it out so there is now a DIRECT flow of FULL PRESSURE going into the RV.

I think I better go get a new water inlet assembly ASAP though. I understand there is a a possibility of over-pressurizing the system.

Anyhow, don't have to run the pump anymore. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you got it working !! On ours anyway, that check valve (back flow valve actually) prevents the pump from pushing water back out of the city water hook up. Like I said, shop around. It'll be about twice as much at a camping store... 3 screws on yours ? It might be different than mine. This is where I got it.

RV marine GRAVITY & CITY WATER FILL dish NEW door lock | eBay
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

If you popped out the check valve when you use the water pump it will blow water out inlet.
Hi-Flow Water Regulator
3 screws?
JR Products City Water Flange/Dish - Polar White
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischua View Post
If you popped out the check valve when you use the water pump it will blow water out inlet.
Hi-Flow Water Regulator
3 screws?
JR Products City Water Flange/Dish - Polar White
Yep...3 screws. Exactly like the dish that YOU have a link to. My fresh water tank fill hole is behind a locked door. I won't run the pump anymore...at least until I get the new dish.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...n/100_0876.jpg

The above is a link to what I have on my RV. Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your
RV Water Pressure Regulator in backwards

I did that ---once .
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #10

Some of the pressure regulators really cut down on the amount of water available at the taps (not just the pressure!). That would be my guess. There are hi flow models available for less than 20.00
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
Is your
RV Water Pressure Regulator in backwards

I did that ---once .
How do you do that? Every regulator I've seen has a male and a female end, and can only be attached to the spigot one way, unless you build or buy an adapter to attach it backwards. Then you'd need a second adapter to attach your hose to the regulator.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
How do you do that? Every regulator I've seen has a male and a female end, and can only be attached to the spigot one way, unless you build or buy an adapter to attach it backwards. Then you'd need a second adapter to attach your hose to the regulator.
I have a ton of adapters

some for sewage
some for drinking water
Plus I place the regulator on a hose not on the coach itself
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #13

Reversing water flow through a regulator, if you wanted to go through the hassle, would likely disable it's internal functions and the reason it's there - to limit water pressure? Thinking there should be a better plan available. That's me though. -Al

Tags
water