Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Noise when starting to move the RV in gear

Hi all,
I have a 1995 itasca sunrise with a 454 chev. Engine.
My question is when I start the engine and put it in gear I hear a noise like a wheel bearing is dry. I had the wheel bearings repacked the breaks checked new tires, both exhaust manifolds gaskets replaced. I had the shop look at it to see if they could find it noise but they couldn't find it.
Any ideas as to what it may be with my brief description ?

Bill
Omara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you have a friend walk beside it as you move it slowly and see if they can pinpoint it a little better. If you can hear it it's obviously somewhere up front. Just a thought. Good luck and I hope you find it.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Another area you might want to check is the engine fan shroud. Sometimes the clearance between the fan and the shroud can shift and rub together slightly due to engine torque flexing the motor mounts. Removing the doghouse might help in locating the source. Good luck. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Not clear by your comments if you actually need to move the vehicle to hear the noise. If you do, I would also have the guys check out the u-joints. They are much more prone to drying out than wheel bearings, and they can "squeak" when dry. Unless an inner hub seal or outer bearing seal has failed (and you would surely see the results), it is highly unlikely that a properly packed and maintained wheel bearing would ever go dry. Not the case with ujoints. They all too frequently do. If it turns out to be u-joint(s), suggest you replace them rather than just lube them. U-joints run dry, even after lubed, will quickly go away.....with awful results at 60 MPH. Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omara View Post
Hi all,
I have a 1995 itasca sunrise with a 454 chev. Engine.
My question is when I start the engine and put it in gear I hear a noise like a wheel bearing is dry. I had the wheel bearings repacked the breaks checked new tires, both exhaust manifolds gaskets replaced. I had the shop look at it to see if they could find it noise but they couldn't find it.
Any ideas as to what it may be with my brief description ?

Bill
Hello Omara and Welcome to irv2!

As with all concerns, giving as much info as possible will help others give you the best advice.

Do you here the noise as soon as you put the vehicle in drive?

Does the vehicle have to be rolling to hear it?

Does the frequency of the noise change with speed?

Does the noise go away under any certain driving conditions?

You have come to the right place for help, there are many knowledgeable members on this forum.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi John,
The RV needs to be moving . It doesn't need to be in gear . When I get up to about 15/20 mph + I don't hear it at that point. It may be that the engine noise blocks it out.the noise is constant and does not change in pitch. I did turn the stearing wheel while moving and it didn't make a difference
When I open the driver window I can hear it pretty clear,that's why I had the wheel bearings repacked
Thanks for all your help
Bill
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the additional info Bill,

Okay, I will give my best shot in the dark answer.

I have seen a few vehicles that have a very unusual squeak that comes from the tires flexing on the bead at the wheels. Sprayed a silicone lubricant on the tires along both inner and outer beads and the noise was gone.

If this is not it, others will surely give their opinion.

Good Luck!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

If it has wheel simulators that could be your noise also , if not I would look u joints ... Just a thought good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyyyy View Post
If it has wheel simulators that could be your noise also , if not I would look u joints ... Just a thought good luck

2x on the Stainless Wheel Simulators. I had one on my 1990 Pace Arrow that sounded like a squeaking, scraping noise when moving at low speed. Get someone to listen at each wheel while moving slowly. Once you find the culprit wheel liner, remove and reinstall it or leave it off to see if the noise goes away.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked to see if you have a brake dragging? The simulators are also a good place to start.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all of you. What a great group of people. I have had quite a few suggestions to look at for possible fixes. I hope that in the future that I will be able to help someone else.
I will try each of the possible fixes and let you all know what did actually fixed the problem.
Thanks again
Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
2x on the Stainless Wheel Simulators. I had one on my 1990 Pace Arrow that sounded like a squeaking, scraping noise when moving at low speed. Get someone to listen at each wheel while moving slowly. Once you find the culprit wheel liner, remove and reinstall it or leave it off to see if the noise goes away.

Sammie
3x Wheel simulators. I had a GMC dually that squeaked at low speed. Narrowed it down to the wheel sims. Removed them, squeak solved. (It was a beat up old farm truck, so having wheel sims on it was like putting white letter tires on a manure spreader)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The wheel cover guys have got it. If you remove the cover and it goes away. get some thin sheets of rubber and space evenly around the cover. (just enough to keep the cover from rubbing against the wheel) That will usually stop the noise. Of course, after you discover what causes the noise, you may want to just ignore jt.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I found time to check the noise and it did end up being the wheel covers that made the noise. I reset the wheel covers and reset the nut that holds the cover on and it's gone . Thanks to all of you for the help .
Bill