Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Noises! Squeaks, pops, creaks, and everything else!

Hi Everyone! Newbie here. Just picked up my brand new 2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C and took her on the 1200+ mile drive home from FL to CT. As expected, there was a lot of learning and items documented for my shakedown list, which I will be taking back to my dealer and Fleetwood (nothing major thank god!). The one thing that is bothering me though is the amount of noise I hear all over the coach when driving in different conditions. I'm not sure if these are all normal for a house on wheels and I am just being hyper-sensitive, or if I should actually be worried. Below are some of the things I'm most worried about...

1. When banking left or right, I can hear a crack or a pop from what sounds to be the floor of the house under the driver or passenger seats. Confirmed my passengers hear it as well. Doesn't happen all the time, but happens most of the time.

2. When depressing or releasing the brake I hear a very distinguished single 'CLICK' noise coming from the left side of the dash, very similar to the sound a blinker makes. I swear I didn't hear this during the test drive or the first couple of nights of camping, but I did when I was returning to the dealer for my PDI fixes and the whole drive home. I brought it up with the dealer, but they said it was normal (of course) and was probably just the relay. Maybe something to bring up in the ford chassis forum.

3. Squeaking coming from the convection oven or from the area between the oven and the cabinet. It almost sounds like styrofoam rubbing together. I had passengers try to pinpoint the sound while driving to no avail.

4. Rattling in the wood cabinetry or dropdown bed above the cockpit. Also not able to pinpoint.

Obviously, 1 and 2 are certain situations, and 3 and 4 are on bumpy/poor roads. 684 near Newburgh was BRUTAL! Such a terribly maintained road... Flat roads are just fine.

Am I overreacting? Are these normal? I'm hoping someone is just going to tell me "Welcome to RV ownership!"

Thanks!
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would be happy to tell you "welcome to rv ownership"!
Yes they can be rattle boxes. We had a class c that sure let us know when we were moving.
Some things can be fixed, some of them are like chasing a mouse through a barn.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Normal to me.

Sometimes I hear muffled screaming coming from the direction of the passenger seat. I once told DW that she shouldn't startle me. LOL
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We have had a couple friends buy new, plan on at least 3 trips to the dealer to work out the kinks.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan-Bull View Post
Hi Everyone! Newbie here. Just picked up my brand new 2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C and took her on the 1200+ mile drive home from FL to CT. As expected, there was a lot of learning and items documented for my shakedown list, which I will be taking back to my dealer and Fleetwood (nothing major thank god!). The one thing that is bothering me though is the amount of noise I hear all over the coach when driving in different conditions. I'm not sure if these are all normal for a house on wheels and I am just being hyper-sensitive, or if I should actually be worried. Below are some of the things I'm most worried about...

1. When banking left or right, I can hear a crack or a pop from what sounds to be the floor of the house under the driver or passenger seats. Confirmed my passengers hear it as well. Doesn't happen all the time, but happens most of the time.

2. When depressing or releasing the brake I hear a very distinguished single 'CLICK' noise coming from the left side of the dash, very similar to the sound a blinker makes. I swear I didn't hear this during the test drive or the first couple of nights of camping, but I did when I was returning to the dealer for my PDI fixes and the whole drive home. I brought it up with the dealer, but they said it was normal (of course) and was probably just the relay. Maybe something to bring up in the ford chassis forum.

3. Squeaking coming from the convection oven or from the area between the oven and the cabinet. It almost sounds like styrofoam rubbing together. I had passengers try to pinpoint the sound while driving to no avail.

4. Rattling in the wood cabinetry or dropdown bed above the cockpit. Also not able to pinpoint.

Obviously, 1 and 2 are certain situations, and 3 and 4 are on bumpy/poor roads. 684 near Newburgh was BRUTAL! Such a terribly maintained road... Flat roads are just fine.

Am I overreacting? Are these normal? I'm hoping someone is just going to tell me "Welcome to RV ownership!"

Thanks!
Taking back to the dealer for work? You live in CT and the dealer is in FL? Yikes, long trip. Expensive too. Hope it's not Lazydays - Have you seen my comments about my 5 month ordeal (coach literally on their lot) getting warranty work there????
Regarding the other items -
1) Not sure about this but one thing to check. The pantry drawers are not locked in place. They may be rolling either way and stopping when they hit the door or the back.
2) Click is the brake switch. I was working on the dash and hit the brake pedal, it clicks and then there is also a motor sound.
3) Lots of squeals and rattles. they (the dealer) attempted to fix mine with padding and velcro strips where the offending sounds were coming from. Best of luck on this one. At this price point this is pretty normal.
4) My drop down bed was outright loose. The bolts that attach the bed to the slots where it slides were finger loose. Easily tightened up by the dealer
Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Taking back to the dealer for work? You live in CT and the dealer is in FL? Yikes, long trip. Expensive too. Hope it's not Lazydays - Have you seen my comments about my 5 month ordeal (coach literally on their lot) getting warranty work there????
Regarding the other items -
1) Not sure about this but one thing to check. The pantry drawers are not locked in place. They may be rolling either way and stopping when they hit the door or the back.
2) Click is the brake switch. I was working on the dash and hit the brake pedal, it clicks and then there is also a motor sound.
3) Lots of squeals and rattles. they (the dealer) attempted to fix mine with padding and velcro strips where the offending sounds were coming from. Best of luck on this one. At this price point this is pretty normal.
4) My drop down bed was outright loose. The bolts that attach the bed to the slots where it slides were finger loose. Easily tightened up by the dealer
Thanks computerguy. I'll look into those items you mentioned. I asked about the brake in the Ford chassis thread and you seem to be right on.

Haven't seen your posts yet on LazyDays, but I could only imagine. I did a lot of research before purchasing my MH, and my stress level has been through the roof worrying about all the things I've read happening to people.

My dealer is actually GeneralRV. Based on what I've read, they seem to be just as hated as LazyDays by a lot. ALTHOUGH I will say, so far I am pretty satisfied with my experience and the price I paid for my coach. They knew I was coming from up north and and driving home so they did everything they could to accommodate all of my PDI issues immediately. They had it in the shop for a couple days, but for items that required parts, they documented and said I could go to another location. Also, there was some small body work (paint chips and defects) which they documented to take care of since they weren't able to. I'll be driving cross-country next month and I'm going to be taking it to their OH location for my remaining service needs, and to be honest, I feel pretty good about it after my hour long convo with their service manager today. We walked through each item I needed one-by-one, discussed the needs and timing, and put together a plan. They seem really eager to take care of the rest of my PDI (and new) punchlist items. That location has a near-perfect rating on google reviews, and that is not something you see very often for these volume RV dealerships. Obviously, we wont know how everything goes until I get there, but he seemed very accommodating to take care of my items within the timeframe I needed on my trip out, and any items that go over our agreed upon time, he will take care of on my way back.
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan-Bull View Post
Thanks computerguy. I'll look into those items you mentioned. I asked about the brake in the Ford chassis thread and you seem to be right on.

Haven't seen your posts yet on LazyDays, but I could only imagine. I did a lot of research before purchasing my MH, and my stress level has been through the roof worrying about all the things I've read happening to people.

My dealer is actually GeneralRV. Based on what I've read, they seem to be just as hated as LazyDays by a lot. ALTHOUGH I will say, so far I am pretty satisfied with my experience and the price I paid for my coach. They knew I was coming from up north and and driving home so they did everything they could to accommodate all of my PDI issues immediately. They had it in the shop for a couple days, but for items that required parts, they documented and said I could go to another location. Also, there was some small body work (paint chips and defects) which they documented to take care of since they weren't able to. I'll be driving cross-country next month and I'm going to be taking it to their OH location for my remaining service needs, and to be honest, I feel pretty good about it after my hour long convo with their service manager today. We walked through each item I needed one-by-one, discussed the needs and timing, and put together a plan. They seem really eager to take care of the rest of my PDI (and new) punchlist items. That location has a near-perfect rating on google reviews, and that is not something you see very often for these volume RV dealerships. Obviously, we wont know how everything goes until I get there, but he seemed very accommodating to take care of my items within the timeframe I needed on my trip out, and any items that go over our agreed upon time, he will take care of on my way back.
Take a trip out to Decatur Indiana to the factory service center for warranty repairs, their work and service is second to none. Make an appointment, if you just drop in they will only fix 3 issues, with an appointment they will repair everything on your list. There is no waiting for approval, parts are there and there is electrical in the parking lot along with a dump station and water fill, you can live in your coach while it is being worked on and if for some reason you can't they will put you up in a hotel at no cost to you.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our coach is very quiet on smooth highway. On anything else, there are varying noises coming from different places depending on the type of surface and amount of imperfections in the road surface.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
YC1

Welcome to the best RV forum around.

Yep, squeaks and pops are normal and we chase them down one by one eventually. Owners of RV's have to be handy with tools or a check book. This is a house build on an earthquake fault. Things will rattle loose.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't worry, it's just all those wrenches, screwdrivers, and hammers they forgot to take out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise