Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #15

Agree on the interlocking panels. If that's a no go and you can't wear earplugs, perhaps a "white noise generator". Type "white noise generator" in google. Available starting at around $50.00. Also known as "sleep machines".
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #16

Every motor home has a built-in FREE white noise generator. It's called the FM radio, tuned to an empty frequency. That hissing sound is white noise.

Rich
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"alvo's" idea is pretty good too! Costco, Harbor Freight and many other places sell the interlocking foam floors for garage. They usually come in 4' - 8' assemblies. That would also be a good choice. Again, easy to install and not visible from the ground.
We bought a bunch of them after a cat show many years ago, they used them in the agility cage. I've got a stack about 3' high of them in the garage. If you're anywhere close to Vancouver, WA I'd give you some! Need to clean out the garage anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Agree on the interlocking panels. If that's a no go and you can't wear earplugs, perhaps a "white noise generator". Type "white noise generator" in google. Available starting at around $50.00. Also known as "sleep machines".
A CPAP machine also works or at least my wife says so.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #19

Talking ??

Don't know if we sell that product here in Canada but will look for the foil backed styrofoam when i next get to a major city.. the rubber mats sound interesting will check that out also.. very very windy here.. Can't get apt here.. there are no rentals and no jobs..and very little income.. this rig was supposed to be in A 1 condition but we bought a lemon and now have to fix stuff.. I can put up with most stuff but rain drives me nuts when trying to sleep.. I can not use ear plugs.. they cause severe pain in my ears any kind.. orange.. yellow.. blue.. white.. there is nothing that i can use or that works thats why the roof noise is crazy.. am going to try these ideas. thanks so much and Happy New Years..
Stampedelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 PM   #20

only have 30 amp here and we use heaters.. way to cold for no heat.. its either heaters or other electrics.. cant use both.. thanks for idea though
Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 PM   #21

I don't know what a cpap machine is.. but if it stands for noise reduction I can't use here, not enough electrical supply as stated previously.. thanks though for idea..
Old 12-31-2015, 11:59 PM   #22

too funny..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We bought a bunch of them after a cat show many years ago, they used them in the agility cage. I've got a stack about 3' high of them in the garage. If you're anywhere close to Vancouver, WA I'd give you some! Need to clean out the garage anyway.
I am on Vancouver Island across the water from you lol.. with no way to get there but appreciate your offer.. Could sure use em.. Thanks..
Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually we're not just "across the water". We're some 250 miles South, just North of Portland OR.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:09 AM   #24

I feel for you but other that fans and earplugs I think you are out of luck. People live near airports and railroad tracks and they get used to it. I'm sure they often hear the sound but deep down know that all is normal and sleep through most of it. I think you too would get used to the noise after a while. I hear that on my fiberglass roof too but I tell myself that all is well and no leaks so I go back to sleep. If I have an awning out and the wind comes up that is a different story and I keep thinking about the possibility of the awning blowing off.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #25

I'm surprized that there are so many who don't like to hear the rain beat on the roof.

Like an old tin roof house, That's one of the things I love about being out in the coach when it's raining, the sound of nature.

The DW and I both will leave the house and driveway camp each and everytime it rains just for that reason. Are we crazy or what????LOL
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I'm surprized that there are so many who don't like to hear the rain beat on the roof.

Like an old tin roof house, That's one of the things I love about being out in the coach when it's raining, the sound of nature.

The DW and I both will leave the house and driveway camp each and everytime it rains just for that reason. Are we crazy or what????LOL

I agree with you! I grew up in my grandparents tinned roof house. Even after all the years (I'm in my 70's), I still miss the sound of rain on the roof. I also still miss them, even though they died many years ago.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Love the sound of rain on the roof. Somehow it is very calming.

The fiberglass roof on the coach gives much better sound than the EPDM on the 5er.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rain on the roof is my perfect noise for sleeping well. I grew up in a house with a tin patio roof. My bedroom was about 10' away. I loved hearing the rain on the tin roof and you could hear how hard it was raining or letting up. I just installed a tin roof over our Jacuzzi.....in hopes we can hear it in the rain.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof