Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Question Noisy roof

I have a big problem.. I am a light sleeper and for whatever reason I can not sleep when it rains.. The rain on my roof sounds like someone banging with a hammer and it keeps me awake all nite so not getting any rest at all as it rains alot where we live . My Motorhome seems to have a solid roof but just doesn't block any sound out.. tried all sorts of things from fans to outside tarps.. nothing works and as we live in here full time I need to find a cure sometime soon as I do not have a house I can go to to sleep when needed.. lack of sleep is taking its toll on me.. please can you advise.. there are no RV places here that make housecalls and our RV is stationery so unable to move it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

if you have a couple throw away quilts, put them on the roof and secure. consider it as an annual expense.
or you are in a wrong place

Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Build a roof over it.?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #4

Every MH I've owned ( and a few houses) have been loud in the rain. I suggest get several pairs of ear plugs, or noise cancelling headphones, and then of course there are the drugs....
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our Dutch Stars had the BriteTek roofs and they were very quiet, the '02 even more so due to the extra roof insulation package we specified. The present rig is all fiberglass and even though it's insulated as well as the DSDP's we still hear the rain. Seems the softer texture of the BriteTek held the sound down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the ear plugs and run the AC on Fan to drown out the noise.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

Thanks for info .. I live in a very rainy windy place by the ocean(not my choice but only place that will take my big rig) will try the idea of putting some quilts on roof.. . Secondly can't build a roof in a campground they don't allow it although that would be a great idea and thirdly... I can't wear ear plugs they really hurt ears.. I said i tried other things and fan .. can't run an A/c when it is 10 below zero.. plus its noisier than the rain and on top of that its only 30 amp here.. as we use heaters no propane as its too expensive so can't run too much electric as we would blow our rig fuses and we already have trouble with that.. But the quilts sound promising.. Any other ideas?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's your fiberglass roof. When something (rain) hits a hard surface, noise happens. Either soften the surface or wear ear protection, like comfortable headphones or earplugs.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Both our Dutch Stars had the BriteTek roofs and they were very quiet, the '02 even more so due to the extra roof insulation package we specified. The present rig is all fiberglass and even though it's insulated as well as the DSDP's we still hear the rain. Seems the softer texture of the BriteTek held the sound down.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you go to Home Depot or Lowes, back near the roofing products, you'll find 4' x 8' sheets of rigid styrofoam insulation. It's tinfoil lined on one side and comes in 1/4" to 1" thick, maybe even thicker. Buy two sheets of the thickest ones they sell, which will give you an 8' x 8' square, and place them on the roof, tinfoil side up. Either tie them down or wait them down as they're lightweight. They won't be obvious from the ground and should give you enough insulation so you won't hear the rain.

Here is a link to Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermashe...3010/100573703
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with the aforementioned solutions. Other option it to get an apartment if one can be had at a reasonable price.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

Interlocking rubber floor tiles would be better than quilts. They will deaden the noise and not get saturated with water in the rain, so there won't be an issue with mold or mildew. They're also pretty cheap and if they work well enough for you, you could glue them in place with a little construction adhesive so they won't blow off in heavy wind.

One supplier: Rubber Flooring Inc- Interlocking Tiles, Exercise Mats, Gym and Garage Floors.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"alvo's" idea is pretty good too! Costco, Harbor Freight and many other places sell the interlocking foam floors for garage. They usually come in 4' - 8' assemblies. That would also be a good choice. Again, easy to install and not visible from the ground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you tried the soft orange colored ear plug that you compress and they then form pit to your ears? I've used them for years and never experienced an sort of discomfort.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof