Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Noisy water pump on Damon Daybreak

We are new to owning a motorhome, but it has been our dream for many years. Bought a 2008 Damon Daybreak and are learning slowly all the little tricks of using it. One of our concerns that took us back to the dealer was the noisy water pump which sounds like a miniature jack hammer every time the water is turned on. We were sure this couldn't be right, but were told, yes, that is how the pump sounds. It can be heard outside the MH 100 feet away! Since we do get up in the night for bathroom needs, I feel badly for anyone camped near us with this awful sound. Evidently we can buy a quieter pump. Is this our only hope?

oleandlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You could mount it on rubber isolation pads:
Vibration Isolators | Vibration Pads | Easy Cut Waffle Pad - Natural Rubber 8" X 8" X 3/4" | 238154 - GlobalIndustrial.com
or mounts:Cylindrical Vibration Isolators Rubber by VALUE BRAND - Cylindrical Vibration Isolators by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

add flexible hoses going to and from the pump:
SHURflo Pump Silencer Kit - Hypro-shurflo Llc 94-591-01 - Pumps & Tanks - Camping World
sometimes it is necessary to even add a water hammer arrestor like this one:
Shop Sioux Chief Water Hammer Arrester at Lowes.com

Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to rest easy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
many times the jackhammer sound is not actually the pump....it is coming from the water lines somewhere which are not insulated or secured properly...they pulsate from the water pulses inside the line...the line then bangs against an inner wall (for example) and magnifies the noise. I dealt with this in a toy hauler...I insulated the pump mounting...no help...I installed the rubber flex hoses from the pump to the hard lines...this helped some but not completely...short of tearing out a bathroom wall to insulate and properly fasten the water lines..I was out of luck.
Now with our new to us RV...the water is so quiet...I cant tell if pump is running...and kind of miss the banging...at least I knew water pump was working..lol
96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
1. add flexable lines to each side of pump.
2. use foam pipe insulation to isolate hose from walls and cabinet panels.
3. add accumulator tank, may not help that much with noise but will stretch out times betwen pump runs
4. If still a problem like I had check my mod. at Damon mods
now we can hear it just enough to know it is running
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
You can hear it 100ft away? Really? With the water compartment door closed? Doesn't sound normal to me. Maybe show the dealers tech what it's doing? I have found with mine that when the tanks water level gets below 1/4tank that it does sound a little louder inside, but outside it's still pretty quiet.

I have noticed that new owners often notice the sound of the pump inside the coach, but outside, with the water compartment door closed, it's usually barely noticeable. Having that sound inside lets me know that the pump is running properly.

Good luck with the dealer though. They hear this complaint all the time from new buyers when there is nothing wrong so they generally wouldn't want to just swap out your pump. You'd probably have to prove to them that it's much louder then normal.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We had a 2005 Winnie, pump was pretty loud, but I figured normal.

We bought an old 1992 American Eagle, kind of loud but not loud as the Winnie. It had a leak in it and since it was original to the coach hubby decided to get a new one. I said well get a quiet one. Now I can't even hear the durn thing, and can only tell the pump is on because I have water, I wish it would make a bit more noise so I can tell when its on.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't get one that is quiet. But then this old coach is pretty solid so that could be why too. Hubby just fastened it to a bay wall near where the old one was.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We had a noisy water pump and discovered it was from the filter being clogged. After we cleaned it we could hardly hear it anymore. Hopefully your fix will be as easy.
xbr443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Try one of the variable speed water pumps. These have been around for a few years now, the difference in sound is very significant, and I think they are worth the money.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
This won't work if your pump is mounted on a wall, but if it's mounted on a floor or horizontal surface, you might try just removing the mounting screws all together. The pump's not going to go anywhere while fastened to the plumbing...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
The noise reminds me to tell the DW "SHUT THE WATER OFF"! She just doesn't understand the concept of water conservation.
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Ford Super Duty Owner
CW sells a pump quieting kit for $30 that consists of 2 short flex hoses.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
FWIW I just upgraded to a Surflo 5.7 gpm pump and the instructions say if you have a accumulator tank to disconnect it. I bought the quiet kit and it consists of two pieces of the same hose my pump was plumbed with. The instructions said it would take a little while for the pump to break in. I thought that was kind of wierd. Sure enough after a couple of one week outings it is quieter and the flow is smoother.

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote