Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #43

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wimberleyman,

The first time I did it with my 40 foot MH, I stepped off 14 yards in space to park, 6 yards more to start the turn back, and I stepped off another 16 yards where I thought my nose of the unit needed to be before I started my backup. After a few practices, I was able to shorten up the 16 yards. I was surprised how sharp the turning angle was. Also, I was told that if I hit the curb, I would fail. I never really knew how close to the curb I needed to be, but I think 12 inches is about right. During the test, the examiner said she did not care if I hit the curb. Go figure, either she didn't care if I failed or if I really hit the curb. Because of the shorter angle that she allowed me, than what I had practiced, I stayed about 16 inches from the curb. Not a big deal to her.

Craig
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the information in this topic. I thought I was exempt in Texas because of the exemptions listed in 522.004. Now I also realize that there are several different classifications of non-CDL licenses. If I am interpreting the handbook correctly;
I need a Class A, not because of my trucks GCWR, which is 24500, but due to my 5er's GVWR, which is over 10,000. Both Class B and Class C say "towing a vehicle not to exceed a GVWR of 10K". I plan to purchase a C 3500 DWR in the near future, which has a GCWR of 30500, so I will need a Class A either way.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
There seems to be a lot of confusion, even amongst the Tx DPS personell at the driver's license offices, about what is required to tow a large 5th wheel with a pickup. Each person I dealt with had to confer with their supervisors or above to get the straight scoop. I finally managed to get the correct test and passed the driving test, to get my "Class A Operators" license. I am shocked that the RV industry is not required to disclose this information prior to letting you leave their store, towing a new RV. Glad to have that behind me now.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I am shocked that the RV industry is not required to disclose this information prior to letting you leave their store, towing a new RV. Glad to have that behind me now.
I agree. It is strange how stringent regulations are in some aspects of life and how lax they are in others. Some of the things that come out of RV sales people's mouths are downright dangerous.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
True, but the certificate is a simple self-administered questionnaire. You can even fill it out on-line, then print it out and turn it in to a local DMV office, or mail it in. You don't need to actually see a doctor like you do for the commercial licenses.
Alan the DMV medical form you need for the Class B Non Commercial License in California is number 546 A not form number 546. This form covers more information and must must be filled out and signed by your MD. The DW and I are in the process of upgrading our DL's to Non Commercial Class B's so that we can legally drive our 41ft DP. If you find out anything different please let us know. Thanks
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Anybody have any tips or techniques on trying to parallel park a 37 ft DP?
It's just a bigger "car", in over 20 years of owning MH's (and TT's before that) I've only needed to parallel park a MH once. It wasn't for a DL either as WA specifically exempts RV's from requiring anything but our standard license.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
There is a lot of confusion when it comes to the licensing requirements for RVs. One of the problems is that for years RVs were exempt from this requirement. But more and more states are requiring Non Commercial class A or B licenses for RVers. Or a special endorsement for RVs.

The federal government made an agreement with the states to have a standard for CDL class A,B,C,Hazmat etc. States can make the licensing requirements more restrictive but not less and that is why some states have this and others don’t. This is slowly becoming a reality for the RV world and if your states doesn’t require it now at some point it is going to change.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEGEE1997 View Post
Alan the DMV medical form you need for the Class B Non Commercial License in California is number 546 A not form number 546. This form covers more information and must must be filled out and signed by your MD. The DW and I are in the process of upgrading our DL's to Non Commercial Class B's so that we can legally drive our 41ft DP. If you find out anything different please let us know. Thanks
Yeah it's interesting that the Non-Commercial Class A only requires the 546, which is self-administered while the Non-Commercial Class B requires the 546A, which requires a doctor's signature. And from what I can tell a Non-Commercial Class A is good for driving a Non-Commercial Class B vehicle, but the Non-Commercial Class B will not work for a Non-Commercial Class A vehicle!