Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My eyes are ok, I passed the test last time without my glasses on and that was only about a year ago.

I've been delayed for mechanical work, still am, but its just minor I think and the mechanic getting time to do it. He is always covered up. So I decided I might as well take the test and see if I can get that over with, so I'm studying on the information starting today for when I get it home.

If I can't get out of here in the next two weeks my trip is likely off till maybe August or September. My husband will be home the 13th of July and will be here till the first part of August, we are supposed to go to Indiana and see his mom. I have 2 renters moving sometime next month and there is always painting and some fixing no matter how good they are before releasing. Also a new one to put on the market, my realtor doesn't get home till July 2nd from her vacation and I interview all of my final selected renters. And my pet sitter and house watcher may be going somewhere first of next month as he delayed to take care of my animals. I tried to express my urgency to the mechanic but I think he is short staffed and even though he is the owner I think he does a lot of the work himself.

So I'm having a cap on a tooth redone this week, its been a dull ache for some time now.

Decided to get my frozen shoulder looked at by an othropedic doc this week, been giving me fits for months and it should be better by now. Hubby thinks I pulled or messed up a tendon. (Don't tell anyone but it was when I was taking off all that old crap on the motorhome roof and it really got me when I was tapping into the steel roof and putting the new skylights on.) So now to the orthopedic doc finally to see if something is amiss. At night now I can hardly stand the air from the ceiling fan or AC duct to hit it. I have to wrap my upper arm and keep it warm or I'm in pain all night. Isn't that odd?
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
Also turning left I used to use the outside lane with my 20 ft trailer that I haul stuff on. But a car squeezed up between me on the left and got into my fender of the trailer.
That implies that you cut the corner - you started your turn probably as soon as, or even before, you entered the intersection. The correct way to make a left turn is to pull straight into the intersection until you are almost into the lane you want to end up in, and then cut the wheels hard left - you need to make a single 90 degree turn not two 45 degree turns. For some reason this seems to be a lost art - I've seen people start a left turn 10 feet BEFORE they hit the limit line. They cross over the double yellow line at a 45 degree angle, then straighten up, then finish the turn needing to take up two lanes to get their car straight again.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12
Have a question. If you are a US citizen visiting your country do you need a special licence if your rig has air brakes?
If you are legal to operate your motor home with your state's driver's licence, then you are able to operate your motor home in Canada with your state's driver's licence.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
FYI - In CA, they are also starting to look for/ticket any rigs whose total length exceed 65' - it's easier than you think with a 45' coach and a 22' trailer. Especially on I-15 from AZ into CA around the Palm Springs area. One CHP officer has apparently made it his mission. He carries a rolling measurement device and will A) issue an expensive ticket, B) force you to drop your trailer right then & there and C) have the trailer towed to a yard. We're talking big $$$.

Mark

Oh, and CA requires a Non commercial Class B on any coach between 40 ~ 45'....And YES, a medical certificate is required & needs to be updated every 2 years.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
"Has anyone being stopped by police in Texas or any other state where this is required? If so was the Police aware of these requirements."

I have not been stopped here in New Mexico, but thanks to this thread if I am I will have the required Class E license. Called MVD and all I need to to is fill out a form certifying the weight of my rig, make a payment and convert my existing Class D into a Class E. No Test!

Thanks for bringing up this great topic. I had no idea I needed a special license.
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Oh, and CA requires a Non commercial Class B on any coach between 40 ~ 45'....And YES, a medical certificate is required & needs to be updated every 2 years.
True, but the certificate is a simple self-administered questionnaire. You can even fill it out on-line, then print it out and turn it in to a local DMV office, or mail it in. You don't need to actually see a doctor like you do for the commercial licenses.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #35

This discussion caught my interest because I live in Texas. Before I bought our MH I specifically asked if a CDL was required and was told no. What I didn't realize was there are different classes of Non-CDL Licenses, which the salesman conveniently omitted. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I have to take a written and driving test because our MH is 350 lbs over the limit for class C license. This definitely would have influenced my decision.
That said, both the Texas Commercial Driving Handbook and the regular Texas Drivers Handbook are available on-line for download. The study questions are in the appendix of the Handbook. There is also a form "Exemption Certification for Class A or B Non-CDL Supplement to Texas Drivers License you can download an take with you. Now I just need to figure out how to get the MH to the DL testing office! The link is http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...Forms/DL-7.pdf
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #36

You should check with your state DMV. I live in California and you need a non commercial B license if your rv is over 26,000 gross weight. I just read the requirement
Ichatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #37

One more thing, your insurance co may not cover you if you do not have the proper driver license. I wouldn't take that chance out here in Cali because insurance companies are all about money not customer service. Enjoy your RV
Ichatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had no idea till I read it on here for sure. But my husband thought I did because he has a CDL which he got at his company. He was project manager of highway jobs and sometimes there was noone to move a big semi for heavy equipment so he got one to be legal if it was on a road and I guess he just also wanted to have it. He still keeps it. He has to pass a physical every year, to work out of the country anyway, so I suppose that would cover that part.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #39

Anybody have any tips or techniques on trying to parallel park a 37 ft DP?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #40

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just finished taking my RV endorsement test for New York State. I was told I would need to parallel park my 40 foot MH, so I went to a local State Park and practice parking. I used a bunch of soccer orange cones to mark off the area. I was surprised how easy it was to do. I paced off the area initially and got comfortable on how far I needed to pull beyond the area I was parking in. When backing up, using the backup camera, I used the outside edge of my rear ladder as a guide, keeping it inside the curb area. It did not take me long to get comfortable with the process. When I took the test, I did not actually have to do a full parallel park as I had practiced. It was more of a backup the road about 50 yards and then back in next to the curb. The examiner told me she wanted to make sure I knew how to use my mirrors. Also I had to make sure before I started the backup, that I put my flashers on, got out of the MH and walked around it to make sure no one was in a blind spot, and then back up with my flashers on. If you have a backup camera on your unit, you may want to inquire if you can have it on during the skills test. Hope that helps.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Went to MVD today and completed the necessary paperwork for Class E license. Basically had to check a box for RV, other options were fire truck and oversized farm equipment. Authorized up to 33,000 pounds. Got a license on the spot.
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #42

Thanks Craig1965,

I had already bought a couple of traffic cones and have an empty parking lot scoped out to practice. I just wasn't how much distance I would be allowed in addition to the coach. Mine is 37 ft.