Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #15

Been through the Norcold dance. The reason it increases temp while traveling is poor cooling unit seal. To fix fridge needs to be removed, cooling unit removed and resealed properly. Even after we had the Amish unit install by the Amish we had poor cooling on the road. They removed and reinstalled making sure it was sealed better. It now cools properly on the road. It was a long road to get it right. I had them do it so if there were problems they could not blame the installation but guess what they did everything they could do deny any problem. Finally they removed and found out it was indeed leaking at their installation. If it is leaking you can tell it if there is ice buildup around the cooling unit inside of foam pack after being on the road. No more Norcolds for me!

DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Been through the Norcold dance. The reason it increases temp while traveling is poor cooling unit seal. To fix fridge needs to be removed, cooling unit removed and resealed properly. Even after we had the Amish unit install by the Amish we had poor cooling on the road. They removed and reinstalled making sure it was sealed better. It now cools properly on the road. It was a long road to get it right. I had them do it so if there were problems they could not blame the installation but guess what they did everything they could do deny any problem. Finally they removed and found out it was indeed leaking at their installation. If it is leaking you can tell it if there is ice buildup around the cooling unit inside of foam pack after being on the road. No more Norcolds for me!
They removed the Norcold and replaced the seals on mine at the factory and that did not resolve the problem. After leaving the factory and finding it still didn't work correctly while traveling the factory rep told me to take it to a Winnebago dealer and have it looked at. I felt if they couldn't fix it at the factory why would a local dealership be able to. That's when I decided to install a house hold unit. Looking back I wish I had not tried to have it fixed and installed the Samsung instead.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I would bet that 90% of the "No Cold" issues are caused by sloppy installation at the factory. Those are the hardest to get fixed, especially since few RV techs even understand how the fridge is supposed to work, let alone how sensitive it is to ventilation and sealing problems. They just want to slap in a new part or two and move on, leaving the owners frustrated and poorer. For that reason alone, changing to a residential fridge is probably a wise move.

That said, a careful person (RV owner or tech) should be able to make that Norcold perform quite well by overhauling the venting, baffles, and sealing. Not rocket science, just careful attention to the installation manual. It's probably several hours of labor, though, so not cheap unless you do it yourself.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
dys

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow I guess I didn't do a very good search on-line. There are indeed a lot of posts on what appears to be exactly the same problem I am having. I have already tried many of the "fixes" proposed. I note that in many of the threads there is no final resolution or fix. I have decided to have the refrigerator pulled by an RV tech and I will be right there with him. We will check the baffles and security of the insulation. I am convinced this is an airflow problem, I just don't know how the air is getting inside the box. It shouldn't warm up this much this fast when closed up even if it is turned off. I will definitely post what my resolution is, even if it is to install a residential refrigerator.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again, I still believe your fans are not working properly . Based on what you are trying to do, I still believe you can fix it. When I finally found my problem, it was after three recalls and still was not fixed. I decided to do some checking myself and found that one of the two fans that were supposed to be cooling the coil was not even working. This is when I replaced this fan , added two to the top coil one at the bottom of the entry door and two inside the ref. I put them all on switches and run them as required
I also added lots of insulation on the top and sides of the ref. I also cut away part of the plywood which was restricting air flow near the bottom entry door behind ref.. This has been several years ago and i still enjoy frozen ice cream. Don't give up.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dys View Post
Wow I guess I didn't do a very good search on-line. There are indeed a lot of posts on what appears to be exactly the same problem I am having. I have already tried many of the "fixes" proposed. I note that in many of the threads there is no final resolution or fix. I have decided to have the refrigerator pulled by an RV tech and I will be right there with him. We will check the baffles and security of the insulation. I am convinced this is an airflow problem, I just don't know how the air is getting inside the box. It shouldn't warm up this much this fast when closed up even if it is turned off. I will definitely post what my resolution is, even if it is to install a residential refrigerator.
There are no seals inside of the cooling unit like another poster stated. The cooling unit is in a foam pack that fits into the back, it is sealed with spray in foam insulation. It needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing! Just because they are an RV tech does not mean they have the knowledge to do the repair. The sealing can not be checked by a visual inspection, the cooling unit must be removed, if the unit has been operating no ice should be inside around the cooling unit. If there is ice it has been leaking outside air in, ice also acts as an insulator and blocks cold transfer from cooling unit to metal fined area inside fridge. With this issue air does not get into the fridge, but it gets in around the cooling unit and lets the cold out. Been there and done all of this and was successful in getting good cooling.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #21
dys

Winnebago Owners Club

Okay folks, Here is the resolution to my particular problem. I had the Norcold refrigerator pulled out of the motorhome and pictures of it are above. Clearly the refrigerator had been worked on before. It appears that the cooling unit had been removed and replaced some time ago. I bought the motorhome used and the fact that the refrigerator had received major repairs was never disclosed at the time of purchase. The RV tech said the replacement was very poorly done and not sealed properly. Air was getting in around the cooling unit and the insulation was also waterlogged. Given the choice of replacing the cooling unit or purchasing a new unit, I opted for the new unit. However I went wit a Dometic 1350 instead of the Norcold 1201.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #22

Norcold 1200 Refrigerator Not Cooling While Underway

From my limited knowledge and experience with the Norcold. If it is not completely level while operating on LP there will be cooling issues. I had a similar experience and stopped operating on LP while driving. I use my basement fridge on DC while on the road. Read up on the Norcold vs level positioning. l Hope this helps.

Tags
cooling, norcold, refrigerator