Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 to residential rf18hfenbsp

I know, I know, yet another thread dealing with replacing a Norcold hotbox with a residential type fridge.
It seems the fridge-du-jour was the RF197, but that has been discontinued.
Sooooo....
Is the RF18HFENBSP (RF18 model) a viable unit? It appears to be taller than the old Norcold. Modifications aren't an issue for me, I like to customize.
We do almost no dry camping, so losing out on the propane side gas absorption doesn't affect me that much.
If anyone would like to pick up a stick and swing away at this dead horse, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

I pulled a working 1200 out of my 2006 Revolution and installer the RF18 in its place. I use working loosely as it would be mid to upper 40 degrees in the refrigerator a lot more than we liked , did have the Amish coil and did work as long as you did not open door often. Freezer always 10 or lower. Guess it was just the way we use a refrigerator.
Anyways pulled doors off both units and carried out and in front door. Norcold was twice as heavy as Samsung. Did have to lower floor down by heater, no big deal, removed and capped gas line and slid right in.
Closed off top vent and side vent. Two flat irons screwed to floor and bolted into front adjuster plate and top is secured with two corner brackets attached to top hinge brackets.
We love it and are sure glad we changed. MSW converter, no problems.

I do still have the 1200 in the garage hoping some true boondocker would be looking for one.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Will Stevens, thanks for the insight. I appreciate the response, I plan to move forward with the swap.
Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

We replaced our dead Dometic with the Samsung RF18 model. W didn't do the mods...had it done by an RV shop, but LOVE the new unit. We don't boondock, and it does fine with 6 to 7 hours traveling with the generator turned on for a 45 minute lunch stop.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

I put in a Whirlpool when our Dometic finally died. I blocked off the side vent, but not the roof vent so the heat could get out. I also like the Whirlpool because if any service is needed, it's easily done by just removing the outside panel. You won't have to pull the whole thing out. And it runs fine off our PSW inverter/alternator when traveling.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I put in a Whirlpool when our Dometic finally died. I blocked off the side vent, but not the roof vent so the heat could get out. I also like the Whirlpool because if any service is needed, it's easily done by just removing the outside panel. You won't have to pull the whole thing out. And it runs fine off our PSW inverter/alternator when traveling.
What model Whirlpool did you use?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
I know, I know, yet another thread dealing with replacing a Norcold hotbox with a residential type fridge.
It seems the fridge-du-jour was the RF197, but that has been discontinued.
Sooooo....
Is the RF18HFENBSP (RF18 model) a viable unit? It appears to be taller than the old Norcold. Modifications aren't an issue for me, I like to customize.
We do almost no dry camping, so losing out on the propane side gas absorption doesn't affect me that much.
If anyone would like to pick up a stick and swing away at this dead horse, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thank you!
The RF18 is indeed a viable alternative to the RF197 provided you have enough height available because it is around 70" tall. I'm pretty sure a couple of RV manufacturers are using the RF18 as original equipment.

Whereas Samsung came right out and said the RF197 would work on an MSW inverter, my understanding is they have not said one way or the other if the RF18 will do the same. Therefore, if you plan to run the fridge off an inverter when not plugged into shore power, you may need to consider replacing your existing inverter or adding a small, dedicated inverter just for the new fridge.

Not only will the new fridge have to fit through the door, but it will also have to make the bend at the top of the steps into the rig - a possible problem if you have an overhead TV housing. If the fridge won't go in through the door, you may have to remove a side window or even the windshield.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #8

In regards to closing off side vent and roof vent on my Samsung install.
The original refrigerator was installed sealed on the face so air could not transfer between refrigerator cavity and inside coach. If it was on propane, this would have allowed the air for the fire as well as venting gas out the top. It also allowed air to move across the coils to cool the coil.
With the residential refrigerator it is not necessary to have outside air or venting, and I feel either open vent would only allow hot or cold air to be drawn in from outside. The bottom and top of the residential refrigerator is open and would allow outside air in or inside air out.
Just my reasoning for closing off vents.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

If you decide to go with a manufacturer OTHER than Samsung, check to see if the warranty is voided if installed in an RV. I know for a fact - learned the hard way in our other MH - that Frigidaire won't. I don't know about the others, but Samsung will.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
If you decide to go with a manufacturer OTHER than Samsung, check to see if the warranty is voided if installed in an RV. I know for a fact - learned the hard way in our other MH - that Frigidaire won't. I don't know about the others, but Samsung will.
Good point. Several RV manufacturers, including the one that built our 5th wheel, are using Whirlpool. I'm hoping that means the Whirlpool warranty will cover fridges in RVs, but I hope I never need to find out.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
What model Whirlpool did you use?

The model is WRT111. It's been working fine on a/c & inverter for the past 1 1/2yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Had Samsung on a live chat & they verified rf18 would run on MSW.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #13

We don't boon dock, but sometimes you just have to. I run mine on the inverter all the time and this past weekend we had a family reunion and boon dock for 4 days. Turned off the ice maker and I could go around 10 hrs before I had to start the gen set and run for about 2 hrs. I have 4 6v batteries. Ditching the Not-So-Cold was one of the best upgrades we have made plus I changed out the inverter to a Magnum 2812. I have switched all lighting inside to LEDs to save battery power.
This is just like my install but in an 07 Country Coach
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbandBob View Post
Had Samsung on a live chat & they verified rf18 would run on MSW.
Good to know, thanks!

Tags
norcold