Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 10 32.26%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I would not spend one more penny on the Norcold POC. There are much cheaper options available than installing a new cooling unit, ARP device and lots of fans along with all of the other crap that people waste their money on attempting to make the NotSoCold work better. It is NOT worth your time or money.

Throw the sucker out the door and install a small apartment size residential type fridge and enjoy trouble free cold food and frozen ice and ice cream.

Use AJMadison.com to find a fridge that will fit the opening left by the POS NotSoCold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #16

And now, from the "I **** YOU NOT" files...
Norcold started calling around and finally found an authorized repair facility that was acceptable to the warranty company (Assurant) to make the repairs and address the recall also.
They have the parts in stock and could have done it this afternoon... EXCEPT

I got a phone call from the repair facility, asking if my warranty was through Good Sam (Assurant). When I said that it was, they quickly declined to make the repairs, because they always have problems getting paid by Goid Sam / Assurant.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post

I got a phone call from the repair facility, asking if my warranty was through Good Sam (Assurant). When I said that it was, they quickly declined to make the repairs, because they always have problems getting paid by Goid Sam / Assurant.
Are you surprised?

I'm not....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #18

I have a 1200 LRIM. Wouldn't keep things cold enough in the 110 degree desert. Installed an Amish cooling unit myself. Had problems getting the foam sealant to stick around and seal the styrofoam on the old box with the new styrofoam on the new cooling unit. I had the fridge upright (some people lay it down on its face), and the foam kept falling off the upper seam. Smeared it on best as I could, but I am not sure how well insulated the box is where the cooling plate fits in. Anyway, the Amish unit is better than the original Norcold unit, but still doesn't hande 110 degrees in the desert. Ice Cream melts!! I got the hydrogen Amish unit. The new helium unit is supposed to be better, but was not available, when I did the job. I had two other guys helping me with the Amish install. I also put in two additional fans at the top of the fridge vent. Sounds like an airplane taking off when I turn on all fans. Having 4 fans helps, but still not good enough. But I dry camp mostly using solar panels (hate generators). I would have to have an awful big solar system and battery system to drive a household fridge the size of the 1200. So I guess I keep what I got.

As for fire threat I haven't seen any mention of that with the Amish unit. However, it scorched the fireproof insulation next to the firebox and bottom of the stack. I put sheet metal between the firebox/stack up about 10 inches to try to prevent fire.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #19

It's fascinating to see how many are hooked on residential units. For my purposes, because I'm constantly on the road, up and down canyons and on roads most wouldn't take a car on, I actually prefer the auto locking doors and set up of my Norcold . I know they make after market door latches for residential units, but that's just one more thing to forget. Since I mostly dry camp, WAY back in the woods, I'd have to have one hell of a big solar system to run it , which wouldn't work anyways, because of all the shade from the trees.

After getting the news today, that the repair facility declined once they found out my warranty was through Good Sam, I called the sales manager at the Camping World where I bought the coach.

I started the conversation with a string of 4, 5 & 6 letter words that would've made a $2 whore blush, and ended my rant with "attempted murder". After trying to backpedal his way through some excuses for why they never bothered to address the recall, or tell me about it so I could, he conceded that the work should have been done before they ever sold it to me.

The best part is that while he did contact all of the other CW's within 250 miles , none of them have the parts. So, he asked me if I would contact the repair center where I'm at and sake them if I could buy the unit and bring it with me to the Bakersfield CW where they would install it and reimburse me for the unit AND my gas to drive to Bakersfield. How generous!

What really gets me is that he never even considered the hundreds of dollars of food I had to throw away, or the week I've been stuck at this.campground at $70 /day trying to get this Campibg World debacle resolved.... Like I'd just forgive them for that?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smack.... I feel bad for you. None of the individual parts of your unpleasant adventure should have happened to you (or anyone).

To summarize:
1. You bought a used motorhome from Camping World.
2. You bought a used motorhome that had a Norcold refrigerator in it.
3. You bought a Service Contract through Good Sam.

I've read through the thread twice. While I am sympathetic to your plight, I am not surprised. The saddest part is that none of your unfortunate events had to happen at all. A couple of hours of homework research on this forum alone should have raised a big red flag on each one of the factors listed above, big enough hopefully to have warned you off. Unfortunately, I guess it did not.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #21

Sadly John, I didn't know about this site back then. I wish I had, because I've gotten a lot of good information on here. Nevertheless, nothing you've mentioned excuses camping world for their actions. They conduct business as an RV reseller who represents that the RV's they sell have been thoroughly checked out by their techs and are in a safe and road worthy condition. So many on here have the attitude of, "Well, it's Camping World, what did you expect?"
I expect nothing more than what they represent themselves to be, and I'll accept nothing less. And trust me, if more people stood up for themselves instead of caving in to companies that follow a business model of screwing the consumer, there'd be a lot less Campibg Worlds doing business... I mean screwing business
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #22

I replaced my Norcold going on 3 years now. I feel your pain. Don't know if you filed your claim yet, I did a few days ago. There are just a few days left.
2 stroker
Dear Claimant in Norcold Class Action Settlement,

We are in receipt of the claim(s) that you submitted and are currently processing it.

On September 16, 2016, the Court will have a fairness hearing to determine whether or not the settlement should be granted final approval. The claims period in which class members may continue to submit claims extends through the August 26, 2016 deadline. We hope to secure as many valid claims from class members as possible before the deadline.

Please feel free to remind any other current or former RV owners (with a qualifying Norcold refrigerator or cooling unit) that they can submit a claim on the settlement website at www.NorcoldClassAction.com before the August 26, 2016 deadline.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Class Counsel at norcold@... or the Claims Administrator at norcoldclassaction@....

Sincerely,

Norcold Settlement Claims Administrator
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norcold / Extended Warranty Disaster

Quote:
.....So many on here have the attitude of, "Well, it's Camping World, what did you expect?"......
Of course nothing excuses them. It's unethical business, plain and simple. But the attitude you describe is the attitude that has been learned, either through personal experience or knowledge of others similarly situated.

Quote:
..........And trust me, if more people stood up for themselves instead of caving in to companies that follow a business model of screwing the consumer, ........

Unfortunately, for you it's now a question of standing up or not caving. For others it has been a question of checking things out and refusing to do business with people who operate this way. The surest way to avoid falling off a cliff is to stay the hell away from the edge. But you have to know that the cliff is there, and that requires paying attention.
I'm sorry you got snared by CW. You aren't the first, and I doubt you'll be the last. I wish you luck.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #24

Smack,

I will avoid that Camping World when we are in CA, but where the heck is Vslencia?

The last time I was in a Camping World store, in the PNW, two of the employees, one big female, one male, were screaming at each other and ignoring the half-dozen customers in the store. Their fight pretty much cleared out the store.

Too bad you did not hear about iRV2 until it was "too late."

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #25

Smack - This could turn out to be a win/win for you!

But first, again I feel for you, and sure hope this all works out quickly for you! And I do understand your need for the Propane option of coolant, based upon your heavily shaded area volume of dry camping. Definitely makes sense.

Win/Win? Call the manager back, and ask if him if you purchase and have shipped to his facility an aftermarket cooling unit. (Do a new thread on this, asking for what is the better unit available now. When I bought mine for our 1200, it was over 5 years ago no. I recall that things have changed, and more new and improved units are available.)

Ask him if he will refund the cost of what the Norcold OEM unit would have cost you, to offset the costs of the aftermarket Cooling Unit.

The win? Well you get a better cooling unit then the OEM replacement. This will help your refrigerator run more efficiently.

I would also order the appropriate ARP board, or ask the Manager if he will order one for you to let them get some profit out of the parts cost. And pay the extra labor to have that added too.

And I still recommend the SS-30 Halon extinguisher, and the smoke detector, as cheap insurance.

To me, it is reasonable to offset the costs of the OEM replacement cooling unit, and let you buy a better aftermarket unit. The only thing I could think of, is the CW might get some warranty/recall related funds from Norcold by replacing the OEM cooling unit. If that is the case, I still believe it would be worth you covering that costs for them, and getting the better aftermarket cooling unit.

$.02!

And ongoing best of luck on this one,
Smitty
Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Smack,

I will avoid that Camping World when we are in CA, but where the heck is Vslencia?

The last time I was in a Camping World store, in the PNW, two of the employees, one big female, one male, were screaming at each other and ignoring the half-dozen customers in the store. Their fight pretty much cleared out the store.

Too bad you did not hear about iRV2 until it was "too late."
Typo, he hit the s instead of the a.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Thought I'd give you all an update. Hopefully the final one. After spending the last 6 days on a nonstop three-way merry-go-round,(pronounced screw-you-around), between myself, Norcold and Assurant, the determination this morning was that Assurant will not pay To replace my clogged cooling unit until the recall work is done and no repair facilities want to assume the liability of doing the recall work on a non- operational refrigerator. This was the end result....

Me:
Hello Camping World Sales Mgr.? I'm done being your victim. I spent nearly $4000 on an extended warranty that you talked me into buying, and at this point I would've been better off flushing that money down the toilet. I've gone six days without a refrigerator, and have been getting nothing but the runaround, because you failed to do your job when it should've been done, before I bought the coach. So, I want a new refrigerator and I want it now, so I can get on with what's left of my life and put all this bullsh!# behind me, because I'm sick of It!

Camping World Sales Manager:
Well I don't know if we can do that. It's going to take a couple of phone calls to get authorization to just give you a $3000 refrigerator.

Me:
Well then I suggest you get off the phone with me and on the phone with whoever you need to talk to and make it happen.

Camping World Sales Manager:-5 mins later:
Hello Steve? We have a refrigerator in our warehouse. It will be here Friday morning and we will put it in and get you right out.

The End

My guess is that in the end, knowingly sending a customer out in a rolling time bomb and the risk of paying out on a bad faith lawsuit, would've been much more expensive than a new refrigerator and they knew it.

It's just sad that it had to go this far, before anyone actually did the right thing.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Hopefully I won't have to post another update on Friday...ugh!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. Glad you're final result turned out ok. Too bad you had to resort to that phone conversation but it's good that you goter done. .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall