Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 10 32.26%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #29

Well that is a positive thing for you to hear!

That being said, please, please take the time to research the ARP module, as well as adding the SS-30 Halon and extra smoke detector. A new Norcold 1200, still will have the Norcold less the stellar calling coil unit.

The ARP I consider a safety item for any fridge left on while running down the highway. And the SS-30 is that comfort of sleeping well at night... Snuffing out a fire if it were to start, or at least giving you a few minutes more to exit the rig...

So even if you do not have Camping World do this at the time of the install, do go somewhere else as soon as you can, and get those few extra steps done.

Fingers crossed that this almost behind you,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Folks,

Do not be complacent into believing that you are completely safe if you have a Halon SS-30 canister mounted in the rear of your NotSoCold.

Attached are a few photos from a friends RV which had a fridge fire where the SS-30 never deployed. That's because the fire had started further up the rear compartment near the cooling tubes which had ruptured causing the gas to leak and then catch fire. The rear compartment acts like a chimney and the hot fire burns up not down.

The very best solution is to get rid of the POC fridge. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Slaten Fridge Fire 11-23-2010.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	137004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Slaten Fridge Fire 11-23-2010 (10).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	137005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Slaten Fridge Fire 11-23-2010 (4).JPG
Views:	76
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	137006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Slaten Fridge Fire 11-23-2010 (2).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	137007  

Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #31

Richard points out the risk of depending upon fire suppression equipment. For sure lots of variables.

To me, getting competent advice on what type to use, and where/how to install it for maximum benefit for your target protection area, is as important as having suppression equipment at all.

When I did my research on the 'what type to use', I ended up with just one SS-30. On the 'where/how to install', I ended up about half way up the back of the fridge. If I had been more on the ball before the re-install of my 1200 after the Amish Cooling Unit install, I would have ordered a second SS-30, and installed it towards the bottom of the chamber, and moved the other one up to abut 1/4 way down from the top.

While I did want to protect our coach as much as possible. The primary goal was protection of my wife, and our dog. I wanted every bit of extra time possible, to get the heck out, if a fire did break out. Especially overnight, with us sleeping in the back of the rig. Besides the SS-30, I feel that the smoke detector in the rear cabinet chamber also would provide us with as early warning as possible.

When I reviewed all this with my wife, I told her I felt that we had mitigated 90% of the risk of the Norcold 1200 catching fire, by the change of the cooling unit system. I said the fire sector, and the SS-30, were just added insurance - as anytime you have an ongoing flame, things can happen.

I do support Richards caution. Equipment, even new cooling units on the Norcold 1200, can fail. Fire suppression equipment can fail to. Reducing the risk of ongoing known fire dangers in a coach, or boat, is prudent. The 1200 is such a unit. And always having, and reminding each other regularly about fire safety and 'what to do if' is also important. My wife and I review before each major trip. We also review with friends and family when they come to visit us along our travels. And finally, we do keep a bug out bag ready, including food for the dawg...

Safety does not just happen, it as much work as preparing for a trip, and more important too!

Off my soap box, but wanted to reinforce what Richard said... and I agree with that caution.

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #32

Once you get your new refrigerator... I'd look eye to eye with the manager.. and say to him... you've replaced the refrigerator because you failed to identify the problem when you did the safety inspection before you sold me the unit... and since we both know and understand that Good Sam and their insurance company are slim-balls... I'd now like my $4000 I paid for insurance that is basically a fraud... refunded to me...

If he says no... my first call would be to the consumer affairs division of the state of CA and my second action would be to file against them in small claims court and use all of the above as proof that they attempted to defraud you...
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Once you get your new refrigerator... I'd look eye to eye with the manager.. and say to him... you've replaced the refrigerator because you failed to identify the problem when you did the safety inspection before you sold me the unit... and since we both know and understand that Good Sam and their insurance company are slim-balls... I'd now like my $4000 I paid for insurance that is basically a fraud... refunded to me...

If he says no... my first call would be to the consumer affairs division of the state of CA and my second action would be to file against them in small claims court and use all of the above as proof that they attempted to defraud you...
Even if they decline to refund the full amount at the store level, I suspect there is a cancellation/refund clause in the contract. Very typical of most any service contract. It wouldn't refund you the entire amount, but as you have not had it long, you should still get a very healthy cancellation refund.

The other thing that I wanted to mention after reading through this thread is in regards to selling a motor vehicle with an open recall. I know its a federal offense in the auto industry to sell a vehicle with an incomplete recall. Fines can be stiff. Manufacturers are well aware of this and stay on their dealers to complete the recalls. You might wish to consult an attorney and see how and if this issue affects motorhomes. You may be entitled to some compensation through that avenue.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #34

Sadly your new fridge will be a norcold. Some solace, but not much.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #35

I hope you submitted your claim to etter/vs norcold .the deadline is August 26 2016. Good luck
Old 08-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #36

That claim required me to know my serial number if I recall. Since I threw mine in the trash, I no longer know the norcold serial number.

Am I mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I hope you submitted your claim to etter/vs norcold .the deadline is August 26 2016. Good luck
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post

Tempting advice, but I have to say, having a worthless extended warranty is better than having no extended warranty at all
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Tempting advice, but I have to say, having a worthless extended warranty is better than having no extended warranty at all
But cashing it in early, and recouping as much as possible. Then shopping for a EW that might really help you, is also tempting to consider too!

Look at threads with Wholesale Warranty in the link. They have a good reputation one both providing a bit of a discount on the costs. Guiding you thru the fine print on what really matters. And then if needed, have gone to bat for customers that they felt a specific EW has not been fair too. For sure, they do their best to weed out the EW's that have a high probability of causing you grief, vs support, in the future...

But most of all, first get thru this repair and back on the road! You have more important things to worry about then just the money....

Best,
Smitty
Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #39

So I drove all the way from San Luis Obispo to Santa Clarita and arrived at Camping World this morning at 8 o'clock as they instructed and guess what ....

Evidently Camping World are people of their word and do have integrity ... but not until they endanger your life, TWICE, and get caught for doing it.

Moral of this thread?
Stand up for yourself people! Because people will screw you as hard as you let them
Old 08-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
......Moral of this thread?
Stand up for yourself people! Because people will screw you as hard as you let them

Glad it all appears to be working out for you.

Alternate Moral:
Do your homework, and avoid the fight altogether!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #41

Not sure how old your rig is but my landmark Rushmore 2012 had a build sheet. On it the factory listed the product and serial numbers. Call the factory with your vin
Old 08-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #42

If you can get a refund on the crap/ fake warranty, take it. Then purchase cornerstone extended warranty I paid $ 1800.00 and the latest payout has put the total amount over 10 thousand

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall