Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 11 34.38%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #43

High Temp Sensor from Norcold vs. ARP unit

My Norcold 1200LRIM was subject to the recall and the previous owner of the coach had the recall work completed with installation of the High Temp Sensor (confirmed by calling Norcold). What additional safety benefits would accrue from installing the ARP High Temp Limit/Thermal Switch?

Thanks much.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #44

Well, True to their word, Camping World installed my new refrigerator and icemaker today. No fuss no muss no dragging their feet, in fact, barely even a word from them. But I guess that's to be expected when you have to cough up a $3000 refrigerator because you totally screwed up.
Nothing burning or melted back here... yet

Never expect more than what you've been promised, but never accept anything less either
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #45
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
My Norcold 1200LRIM was subject to the recall and the previous owner of the coach had the recall work completed with installation of the High Temp Sensor (confirmed by calling Norcold). What additional safety benefits would accrue from installing the ARP High Temp Limit/Thermal Switch?

Thanks much.
It is suppose to shut off the NoCold fridge at a lower temp than the mickey mouse fix(s) that NoCold installed thereby avoiding a possible overheating situation. The bottom line is you will still have a fridge that is what it is and has been shown to be less reliable and safe. I have owned different rvs for 20+ yrs but last year was when my patience went out the door. Took the rv fridge out and put a residential one in and realized what I had been missing.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #46

Well, True to their word, Camping World installed my new refrigerator and icemaker today. No fuss no muss no dragging their feet, in fact, barely even a word from them. But I guess that's to be expected when you have to cough up a $3000 refrigerator because you totally screwed up.
Nothing burning or melted back here... yet

Never expect more than what you've been promised, but never accept anything less either
Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
...Took the rv fridge out and put a residential one in and realized what I had been missing.
If yo do the kind of dry and deep woods camping I do, then I can tell you that you're missing turning your generator off at night while you sleep ( if ever)., and getting away from the hustle and bustle of an extension cord. You're also probably missing the ability to travel long distances without having to buy new food or pack an ice chest., but you do have that nice residential refrigerator
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
If yo do the kind of dry and deep woods camping I do, then I can tell you that you're missing turning your generator off at night while you sleep ( if ever)., and getting away from the hustle and bustle of an extension cord. You're also probably missing the ability to travel long distances without having to buy new food or pack an ice chest., but you do have that nice residential refrigerator
I have had my RR frig going on 3+ years have dry camped up to 6 day and drive up to 400mi at a time and my frig has never been turned off. Going down the road it runs on the inverter plus my inverter has been on for the 3+ years, we don't run the gen-set at night while sleeping. Our gen-set runs about to 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs at night, and I have a nice Residential Refrigerator. You could not give me a Not-So-Cold, even a new one.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
The debate between having a RV NotSoCold fridge versus a residential has been tossed back and forth on this forum numerous times. Use the Search function at the top of the main page to see for yourself.

Residential fridges have been installed in motor-coaches LONG before the NotSoCold piece of crap RV fridge was even ever designed by the "pillow fluffing engineer's" at Norcold/Thetford.

For me personally, I have had my Samsung fridge for well over four years now. I have traveled thousands of miles around the country, Alaska to Key West Florida, almost never stop at a RV Park unless I need a two day break from driving everyday, never have had to run the generator at night when sleeping AND having the residential hasn't changed the way we use the coach in any way shape or form. Frankly the generator gets used more for running the A/C's while driving to stay comfortable in the hot humid south versus keeping the fridge cold. My Samsung RF-197 is so energy efficient that it actually uses LESS energy than the NotSoCold and that's a proven fact, NOT hearsay. Yes, my residential won't run on LPG gas BUT your NotSoCold is still a NotSoCold. I don't have to throw out hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of food any longer.

However, it has improved our RV lifestyle in so many ways! But those reasons are for a different thread and discussion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #50

There is a class action lawsuit against Norcold: https://www.norcoldclassaction.com/Home.aspx

We have a 2009 Itasca and have one of the Norcolds that has the recall. We have had the "little black box" replaced 4 times now. It went out again the other day and blew the 8 amp fuse on the motherboard. We were able to salvage our 3 night trip with our grand kids (planned for over a month) by using the fridge on propane. We are going to throw out this time bomb refrigerator and install a Samsung RF 18 household refrigerator. Do yourself a favor and do the same.
somoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I have had my RR frig going on 3+ years have dry camped up to 6 day and drive up to 400mi at a time and my frig has never been turned off. Going down the road it runs on the inverter plus my inverter has been on for the 3+ years, we don't run the gen-set at night while sleeping. Our gen-set runs about to 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs at night, and I have a nice Residential Refrigerator. You could not give me a Not-So-Cold, even a new one.
2 stroker
Ahh. There's the difference. My coach is a 2008 with no inverter. Just straight 12v and 110. No solar (yet) a RR wouldn't work with my set up.
That said, the new fridge operates perfectly and I won't have this coach long enough to worry about the next breakdown (I hope)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #52

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Even though 70% of responses were off topic and this thread was turned into a penis measuring informercial for residential refrigerators, I still found it informative, if not entertaining.
Be well everyone and happy trails!

Poll results:

Poll wins:
Old 08-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #53

My Norcold failed on my 2014 Winnebago Vista during a camping trip a few weeks ago. It was a high temp switch. A roving RV repair tech had to order replacement from Norcold. I understand that the high temp switch was Norcold's remedy to a legal issue concerning possible over heating of the fridge's heating coils. My repair was considered to be under warranty.
mainsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsail View Post

My Norcold failed on my 2014 Winnebago Vista during a camping trip a few weeks ago. It was a high temp switch. A roving RV repair tech had to order replacement from Norcold. I understand that the high temp switch was Norcold's remedy to a legal issue concerning possible over heating of the fridge's heating coils. My repair was considered to be under warranty.
That was their solution for "fixing" a poorly designed cooling system which has failed thousands upon thousands of times, caused thousands of fires, destroyed thousands of RV's and have caused one death to date.

Oh BTW, don't get it wet either otherwise you will be throwing all of your food away unless you can find a bunch of ice coolers to store the food in while you wait for another "Black Box".

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #55

Yep, that is how I salvaged the remainder of the camping trip. I always carry an ice chest plus an oldie but goodie igloo thermal cooler
mainsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Thanks much.
The ARP will prevent the fridge from getting hot enough to trip the Norcold recall unit to begin with. I installed the ARP when I had the Amish replacement cooling unit installed. If my memory is correct, the recall unit trips at +400 degrees c. The ARP trips at around 227c and it restarts. It will go into lockout after 5 incidents of high temp.
Go to ARPRV.com and read everything about the control. It is a very good read and a great product.

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall