Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 10 32.26%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Remind me never to do business with Smitty77.

Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Got the ARP too

Why do you need the arp system since you installed the helium coils cooling system and there is nothing combust let? 🤔

Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Well, True to their word, Camping World installed my new refrigerator and icemaker today. No fuss no muss no dragging their feet, in fact, barely even a word from them. But I guess that's to be expected when you have to cough up a $3000 refrigerator because you totally screwed up.
Nothing burning or melted back here... yet

Never expect more than what you've been promised, but never accept anything less either
Your next failure is going to be the Ice Maker!
See that white water hose is the WAY TOO LONG loop resting against the burner box chimney? That will melt in short order if you don't get it off there.

Also, why they are installing plastic cups resting on the burner box is beyond me, didn't your other one also melt? I threw mine out and put a stainless bowl there, free from Harbor Freight.

I see they are using a steel clamshell now, just like the Pines RV unit.. Good!

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
Why do you need the arp system since you installed the helium coils cooling system and there is nothing combust let? 🤔
The ARP is not, nor was it ever designed for the purpose of a fire extinguisher. It's designed to shut the fridge off in the event of the boiler overheating as a result of parking off level; by far the biggest reason people kill refrigerators. Monitoring Norcolds lousy construction was an adaptation by the RV crowd, and ARP will tell you that in big fat bold lettering

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
When I had my NotSoCold in the coach my drain tube never went into a drain cup. Monaco had extended the drain line out the bottom of the coach so it drained onto the ground.

Plastic anything around the burner is not a good design. Not surprised with what they have for engineers on staff, what a bunch of jamokes. They're the ones that designed the wonderful fire hazard cooling units in the first place.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #76

SCVJeff

1. How did you mount the fan? Did you epoxy it to the top of the fridge or what??

2. Does the fan replace the need for a defrost cycle?? I get lots of ice on the cooling fins in the fridge if I camp for a month or so.

I had never heard that the fridge had a defrost cycle until I read this thread, but I have noticed, from time to time, that coils and the tank inside the bottom fridge vent cool down (don't seem to be providing refrigeration) for a while, while the flame is still burning in the firebox. (I have the hydrogen Amish cooling unit.) Could this be a defrost cycle? If so it doesn't seem to be adequate to remove the ice from the fins.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My Samsung RF-197 is so energy efficient that it actually uses LESS energy than the NotSoCold and that's a proven fact, NOT hearsay.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film,

Would you be able to send me some numbers on how you arrived at this conclusion? Did you include the energy from the propane. If I could get a residential fridge that used the same amount of electricity as my Norcold 1200, I would certainly buy it.

My problem is that I mostly dry camp, I use (almost) only solar panels, and I hate generators (mine and others). During a 6 week trip this summer, we ran the generator once. Is a residential fridge really a possible solution for me??

Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphl View Post
SCVJeff

1. How did you mount the fan? Did you epoxy it to the top of the fridge or what?? No, I used Scotch VHB tape

2. Does the fan replace the need for a defrost cycle?? I get lots of ice on the cooling fins in the fridge if I camp for a month or so.well it used to but the problem might b worse now that the entire thing is so friggin cold. The defrost is set in the control anyway so it's not something you can easily defeat

I had never heard that the fridge had a defrost cycle until I read this thread, but I have noticed, from time to time, that coils and the tank inside the bottom fridge vent cool down (don't seem to be providing refrigeration) for a while, while the flame is still burning in the firebox. (I have the hydrogen Amish cooling unit.) Could this be a defrost cycle? If so it doesn't seem to be adequate to remove the ice from the fins.The only way to do a defrost is to kill the flame... It's either on or its off. The way I see it happen is that I have a pair of wireless thermometers that have high and low limits, and I can see it happen over time

Thanks
Richards probably right with energy usage if all you are doing is adding up btu and assigning a price to it. But in reality it totally depends on how you camp and if you choose to HAVE to run the generator to dry camp. Personally I can't because I stay up till 2am and my evening draw is 20a, so multiply that x hours since the sun went down. For me I choose not to pull another 10a all night for whatever time the fridge needs to stay cold. For our dry camping there is simply no way to do it without running the gen, even with 1/2kw on the roof. Even though I have AGS and its set and I do use it on cloudy days after the second lousy day at the beach, I'd rather not. My 20ah draw x sunset to bedtime simply kills it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphl View Post

Would you be able to send me some numbers on how you arrived at this conclusion? Did you include the energy from the propane. If I could get a residential fridge that used the same amount of electricity as my Norcold 1200, I would certainly buy it.

My problem is that I mostly dry camp, I use (almost) only solar panels, and I hate generators (mine and others). During a 6 week trip this summer, we ran the generator once. Is a residential fridge really a possible solution for me??

Thanks
To answer your first question, my Samsung RF-197 consumes 1800 Watts of energy on average everyday. I determined that by using a Kill-O-Watt meter over a 2-3 month period of time. I did this two different times. Remember that my RF-197 doesn't run continuously unlike a NotSoCold which is running almost constantly. The newer Samsung RF-18 will use more as it uses a new DIC compressor technology which is always running but it will be in idle mode when no cooling is required.

The NotSoCold 1200 which needs both 12 VDC and 120 VAC to run (unless using LPG) is running almost constantly except when the fins are defrosting every 47 hours or so. Not sure exactly how the defrost cycle works as my NotSoCold seemed to be in DEFROST mode constantly! When on 120 VAC it consumes 3.8 Amps/456 Watts VAC plus 1.90 Amps/23 Watts VDC. These values are from the Specs Sticker found on the inside of the 1200 fridge or can be found on page 2 of the 1200 Service Manual. There are two A/C heaters which draw 225 Watts each per hour. When using LPG it is using 2200 BTU's/hour. According to an online conversion web site for ENERGY, 2200 BTU's per hour equals 644 watts/hour.

Do the math.....when using LPG, that's over 15,000 watts per 24 hour period which doesn't include any of the 12 VDC power the fridge requires to power the control board, door heater and interior light.

Either way you look at it the NotSoCold is an energy HOG!

I think with your RV lifestyle a residential would NOT work for you unless you had lots of storage room for extra batteries plus lot's of room for solar. There has been one member of iRV2.com that I know of who has configured his coach with a residential fridge in that fashion but I don't have the room to do that.

When I am off the grid I let my Auto-Start Generator monitor the batteries and when needed the Onan Quiet generator comes on to charge the battery bank back to Float SOC. I always make sure they are at Float SOC before turning in for the night and remove all 120 VAC and 12 VDC draws except for the fridge which ensures that the generator will NOT come on during the night. In the morning we turn the generator on as it's coffee and microwave time anyway. Those devices should NEVER be run on Inverter power or any device such as a toaster, hair dryer or any high amp draw device.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
I am picking up in a couple of weeks a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B. I don't know the model number of the fridge. It is a 2 door model. Does anyone from the info i have tell me if I am in the years of the recall?
Old 09-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda2924x View Post
I am picking up in a couple of weeks a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B. I don't know the model number of the fridge. It is a 2 door model. Does anyone from the info i have tell me if I am in the years of the recall?
2004 is within the recall but AFAIK the recall is only the 1200 series

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda2924x View Post

RV Refrigerator Recall Notice by Norcold | Thetford Corporation

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #83

Read in post #33 that it was a Federal Offense to sell a vehicle that had incomplete recalls. After 4 recalls we traded in our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland to a Ford Dealer who told us they already had it sold. The recalls we're not completed because every time we received the recall letter we called only to be told there are no parts. Why would a dealer take in trade a vehicle with recalls if it was illegal to sell? In May we traded our 2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G to Camping World with a Takata Airbag recall incomplete. Again no parts. What Federal Law?
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post

Read in post #33 that it was a Federal Offense to sell a vehicle that had incomplete recalls. After 4 recalls we traded in our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland to a Ford Dealer who told us they already had it sold. The recalls we're not completed because every time we received the recall letter we called only to be told there are no parts. Why would a dealer take in trade a vehicle with recalls if it was illegal to sell? In May we traded our 2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G to Camping World with a Takata Airbag recall incomplete. Again no parts. What Federal Law?
That only pertains to NEW vehicles. Used vehicles is a different story, however, read THIS article and it should resolve any misinformation about recalls and liability.

THIS is also a good read about recalls and sometimes lack thereof.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall