Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 11 34.38%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
Remind me never to do business with Smitty77.
Now Brad - I do have some good land in Florida. A bit below sea level, but with rubber boots, deet aftershave, and a Smart car with 56" balloon tires - it'd be just a great place to live....
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #86

Ralphl - When I did finally decide we had enough battery bank, and solar panel wattage to go to residential - I looked long and hard for a 1st generation Samsung like Richard mentions.

We do have the bit newer RF18 Samsung, and while it may consume a bit more power then the previous generation - it still is pretty stingy.

If you are contemplating going to residential, and have not done so already, take the time to do an energy audit on what your average daily usage is. (Research many of the threads on how to do this.) Then add some contingency to cover for a few days of bad sunshine, or shade, or restrictions on generator usage. My goal, was to have four days of battery bank vs usage to down to 50% SOC - with zero positive power input into the battery bank over this four day period. That is extreme, and really more then is needed.

Key here, is look at the total usage vs what your system can support. Beef up your battery bank, and add solar as needed. Residential fridges, at least he popular Samsung's, are not that much of hit to boon docking. (We recently did 14 days dry camping at Apgar National Park in West Glacier. Very minimal help from the sun, due to trees and clouds. We never felt we were at risk or running low on battery bank. Our lowest SOC was in the high 60's, and that was because we missed running the generator in the AM, due to an early departure for the day.

And Smack. Hope all is going well for you. This thread, has deviated way beyond input as you were working thru your frustrations with a sick fridge, and Camping World... Probably time to start a new to thread, if other items wish to be discussed!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #87

Richard- for some reason your website links aren't showing up in the post.. they do show up in the email alerts that I got but neither one of them work. Just FYI
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #88

Smitty-
Couldn't be happier with my new, "Not-so-Warm". Its set at 5. Rarely comes on, and The 2/2 gallons of ice cream in the freezer are as hard as a rock.
In my opinion, anyone who bought a preowned coach from a dealer, with a Norcold 1200 series refrigerator that was under recall, and the recall work was not completed before you purchased it, go back to the dealer and make them install a brand-new refrigerator for you (at their expense), because trust me I'm speaking from experience now, if your fridge breaks down on the road you won't be able to get it fixed. Nobody wants to make repairs to a fridge with an open recall, and nobody wants to do the recall work if the fridge isn't working. In the meantime you'll throw away hundreds of dollars worth of food.. You'll be stuck for days in a location that wasn't a planned part of your trip,. You'll have hours of unnecessary aggravation , and you will still have a broken refrigerator.
No dealership wants to be publicly accused of attempted murder, but sending someone out in a coach with an open recall and not doing the work or telling the customer there's an open recall is exactly the same thing. The total on the invoice they gave me was $4,100. A small price to pay, to not have customers going around telling people they were trying to kill you and couldn't care less... Trust me they'll be happy to give you a new refrigerator , just like they did for me.
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
I just went back through my posts and clicked on all of the links that I posted and they all worked for me.

Sorry, I don't have an answer.

Possibly it is the device you are using to view iRV2.com.

I use my laptop 99% of the time and use my Samsung S5 only to read some stuff occasionally.

Possibly one of the moderators reading this thread could address your concern better than I can.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed an Amish unit on our Norcold 1200 about three plus years ago and it has now quit. A tech told me that it has a blockage in the coil and will have to be replaced. It doesn't sit above the furnace so I have a lot of room for a residential unit. I have read this forum and see several suggestions regarding the Samsungs but I'm not sure which one to install. We have an inverter and two strong batteries so I hope the new unit will work from the inverter. Any suggestions?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post

Any suggestions?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sams...earch=irv2.com

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #92

Really think that there's a good solution?
New or used, it's a crap shoot. I've bought used, thought new was the answer, bought new, but the real answer is information and knowledge. People build new and sell used. That's the only real problem.
Old means old problems that have known solutions. New means new problems that have solutions which are yet unknown, new.
Brother in law bought new 42ft 5th wheel from CW. 35 issues CW agreed were defective. Not little things, things like the laminated floor lifted up 2 inches. Left with them, CW for 3 weeks. Nothing done right in the middle of the travel summer season.
My Norcold failed. Took it to one of the good guys that specialized in refrigerators. It was just rust flakes from the heat exchanger falling on the gas pipe. It prevented a flame. Blew it off, and no problems for the past 8 years. Got the 2 recalls done, but they sense the heat way to early. Put a warning temp device on the adjacent wall. Never travel with the propane running. Wind currents are way too dangerous. AC through the generator if at all. 4-5 hours of off will heat the frig about 5 degrees. Ice cream will melt, so eat it all before you take off.
Dig in, get info, don't depend on CW for anything, and spend the saved insurance money on ice cream.
jtmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall