Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who should pay for the new refrigerator?
Thetford 10 32.26%
Camping World / Warranty Co 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 AM   #1

Norcold / Extended Warranty Disaster

I'd like to get some input on how to proceed with my refrigerator nightmare,.

I bought my coach last summer at (don't laugh) Camping World in Vslencia, CA. At the time, Camping World represented to me that they had gone through the entire coach and its systems to ensure that everything was in good working order. Nonetheless, I purchased an extended warranty for several thousand dollars, just for the added piece of mind... I thought.

The day after I took delivery, I discovered that the Norcold refrigerator wasn't working and I returned it to Camping World to be fixed. When I picked it up, the fridge was working and I assumed that the problem had been properly taken care of, until this weekend, when the fridge (model 1210 IM) totally died. I also discovered that it was under a recall so serious, that Thetford demands that it be shut down immediately.

Today, I had a repairman come out to diagnose the problem per the warranty company's instructions. He determined that the cause of the breakdown is a clog in the cooling system, which is causing it not to cool.. He also discovered significant prior heat damage. The drip pan is totally melted and the insulation is charred in places, indicating that there has been an ongoing high temp issue. In diagnostic mode, the panel indicates that there was previously a high temp failure issue and a high voltage incident ( >135v.).among others.

Surely Camping World was aware of the recall, but failed to address it before reselling the coach to me.

When I returned the coach to them to have the fridge repaired, they added a fan, but failed to address the recall for the second time, nor did they tell me about it so I could take care of it myself. Essentially, Camping World knowingly sold me a rolling time bomb with a very short, half burned fuse that was ready to blow at any minute.
Now, to add insult to injury, the warranty company refuses to pay for the needed repairs, until I have the recall issue taken care of ,first (which IS NOT the cause of the breakdown). The recall can't be fixed for a couple of weeks and it will take several more weeks after that, to get the cooling system replaced.

I talked to Thetford today and they agree that in light of the obvious heat damage, the refrigerator is probably not safe to continue using, even with the recall fix.
The warranty company also agrees that the fridge is probably not safe and should be replaced, but neither company can agree on who should pay for it, and I'm stuck in the middle, on the road, with a broken down fridge, that could explode if I use it, and no viable or timely resolution in sight.

Has anyone had to go through anything like this before?

I'm really at my wits end with this crap, which could have been so easily avoided if Camping World wasn't a bunch of negligent crooks and had actually done what they claimed they had done when I bought my coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

I feel your pain. In 2009, I had a fire in my Norcold 1200 LRIM. Fortunately, it did minimal damage to my coach. I had it replaced with the Norcold 1210 IM. I am currently in Ohio having a new residential fridge put in with other work also. When my second Norcold started not cooling correctly, I was in Colorado. I purchased a dorm type fridge from Sears to get me across country for about $150. This will work for you as a temporary fix. By the way, I love the new Samsung I have. No worrying about another fire!

I agree that Camping World should have either fixed this or at least told you about it. Try a call to your attorney General. I don't know if that will work, but maybe. Also start keeping a list of whom you spoke with, what they said, which what you said and the date. Go over to rv.net(owned by Camping World) and see if you can contact Marcus Lemonis (the CEO) and get him involved. Post this same story there, too. I hope you get some satisfaction.

TedToo

Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Google etter vs norcold. You have until August 26 to file a claim. This is a class action lawsuit Norcold has lost
Old 08-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Also I would suggest going with a residential frig. My 1210 was replaced 2 months ago and it is already failing.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You are now a member of the Thetford/Camping World Disaster Club!

Neither of these places will I EVER do business with again.

Norcold 1200 series fridges are the worst fridges ever built and you would be thousands of dollars ahead if you get rid of it soon.

The Good Sam ERS and Extended Warranty programs are simply methods to collect money from unsuspecting consumers BUT they seldom provide the service that the consumers are expecting and should receive as you later discovered.

In my opinion, Camping World, Marcus Lemonis and his wife are scumbags and their business ethics are some of the worst in this country.

Don't believe it? Read THIS article and then come to your own conclusion. This is only one of many articles that provided information to substantiate my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #6

Post 5. Relevance? Really?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

Post 6 relevant yes really? Lol
Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

And NOW I'm pissed!
I just spoke to a combative and aggressive woman named Gail, who is the recall supervisor at Norcold. The first 5 minutes of our conversation was me trying to tell her who I was and why I was calling,. Unfortunately, four minutes and 50 seconds of that five minutes was taken up by Gail rudely trying to tell me who I was and why I was calling. Sadly, she guessed wrong every time and the conversation went downhill (fast) from there .
My biggest concern with the refrigerator now, is that even IF I have the recall work done, with the amount of visible high heat damage already, what else has been damaged that isn't currently visible, but will be later, in the form of a fire or another breakdown?
Here's some of the heat damage. This is/was my drip pan:
I can honestly say now, from my own experience, that if you have a problem with your Norcold refrigerator, don't even bother.contacting them for help, because they are apparently not interested in giving you any. Just call your lawyer and save yourself some time.
Thanks for all the input everyone
Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Thanks Richard. I whole heartedly agree. Camping World and their ilk, are nothing but SCUM.
Sending a customer out with a seriously defective refrigerator that poses a very real fire hazard, without telling the customer or addressing the issue, when they are clearly aware of it, is nothing short of attempted murder. They even have their finger prints all over the trigger.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post

I'd like to get some input on how to proceed with my refrigerator nightmare.

Has anyone had to go through anything like this before?

I'm really at my wits end with this crap, which could have been so easily avoided if Camping World wasn't a bunch of negligent crooks and had actually done what they claimed they had done when I bought my coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post

Post 5. Relevance? Really?
Yes REALLY!

Been there and done that!

I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on crap from Thetford and Camping World. No more.

You can and that's your option, your money and your choice

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #11

OP - Sorry for the problems you're working thru.

Very glad that you did not have a fire, as people have lost their lives, and pets, and possessions due to this specific refrigerator. Each and everyone of the Mickey Mouse Recalls, have been close to a joke.

That being said. You bought a used rig. I'm sure you bought it 'as is'. I do not feel that your Extended Warranty should cover this, as the recalls were not done. Your best opportunity, is Camping World, as they did not ensure that the recall, a safety related recall, was completed before selling the unit to anyone. Surely they're very aware of the recalls related to this specific unit. And any inspection of the unit, would have shown within a 30 second inspection, that the recall was not accomplished.

I would totally forget about calling Norcold. Read up on this some more, and you find that they have a long history of dodging this problem. Class Action suits are in play, and I believe some have been resolved already.

Politely go in to Camping World, and ask them if you buy a residential refrigerator, if they will cover the install as goodwill. Explain that you're more interested in getting the problem resolved, then pointing fingers as to who should have found this problem. If they do not agree to this, then say your next recourse will be to get a residential refrigerator installed elsewhere, and then small claims court for recovery of CW selling you a unit where the recall was not accomplished. And that you had been told as a layman, that the coach had been checked out, and all systems were good. A missed recall, is part of all systems being good.

No, it may not seem fair. But move on. A residential refrigerator will give you more space, and hard ice cream too. The popular install is the Samsung R18 unit. Get it resolved, and move on... And not to kick you when this is going on - you bought a used rig, and I'd bet good money that the contract does indicate 'as is' (Or however the 50+ words of legalize streaming of double talk indicates 'as is'!). So you as a buyer, did have some responsibility to ensure that the coach met your dissed needs as far as condition. Same as with say the age of the tires. If say 5 years old, it is during the purchase that you negotiate for these things.

Get it fixed, get is safe, and go have some fun.
Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

I would think that Thetford needs to step up to the plate here since it's a recall issue. After the cooling unit is replaced AND the recall switch is added, I would go ahead and get the ARP control. It's just like the Norcold switch but has a lower threshold so it is designed to cut power to the refrigerator before any damage is done to the cooling unit. It's true... That thing will only go off after damage is done (pretty useless). Afterall, overheating is the real cause of these Norcold cooling units leaking out in the first place. The one I got has a temperature readout and was really easy to install. If you want some peace of mind, get a safety switch that hasn't had 6+ recalls on it. I got mine from Norcold Guy for $130 and I know you can order from ARP too. Here are the links:

Norcold Safety Switch - from Norcold Guy

Norcold Safety Switch - from ARP
Old 08-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #13

Actually Smitty, you're wrong. This morning Norcold overnighted the parts to take care of the recall and the current breakdown. As far as my due diligence, I relied upon CW's duty as a licensed reseller and their written statement that the coach had been checked out and everything was found to be road worthy and in good working order upon delivery. Christ, that's what they claim they were doing for the week that they had it, after I bought it. As far as the rig being used, that worked out for my needs also. The coach was very well kept and has extremely low milage. I am terminally ill and traveling for what time I have left and won't be needing it for much longer. I apologize if not dumping an extra $20 - $30k down a rat hole to have a brand spanking new rig doesn't meet your high standards, but it met mine just fine and I'd do it again. I'd just make sure next time that I dealt with an honest and reputable dealer, so I wouldn't have to waste so much of the time I have left on somebody else's negligence. And FYI: I did have the coach recarpeted after I bought it. While removing the bench seats for the dinette, we discovered that Fleetwood had actually driven an OEM screw through the Romex for the outlet below the seat and it was shorting out. So, new or not, there will be problems, because why do it right, if you can make the same money doing it wrong?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #14

Smack - Glad to see they came thru on the replacement part. Other then the recall kit, a Mickey Mouse item in my opinion, you were not clear on if they were sending you a new cooling unit too? You will want a new cooling unit. OK to get a free one from them, but the OEM are not as good as many of the aftermarket units. For example the Amish Cooling Unit from RV Pines has more tubing/capacity and a different coolant. These perform much better at keeping the units cool.

If you do decide to retain this Norcold long term. Yes to the ARP mod, and I would also add a SS-30 Halon extinguisher and smoke detector to the back of the fridge in the cabinet. (I had both of these, plus the Amish Cooling Unit. Plus extra cooling fans too. I had bought the ARP to add into the mix too, but then my wife and I decided to go with the Samsung. Yeah, after all that money out our wallet, to be sure we had a better chance of not having a fire, and serving one if it did break out.)

And I'm very sorry to hear what you're working thru on the health front. For sure, this stuff is nothing in compared to getting out and getting going and having a blast!!!

That being said. Sorry, a used rig is a used rig. Legally, I'd still being willing to bet good money that they did not have to do anything for you at all. Buyer beware, unless otherwise written into the sales contract. Sure not trying to be a jerk about this to you, or kick you while your going thru this, and much more. But other people read these threads, and it might help someone else down the road. (And heck, I've been known to be wrong. My wife will attest to that very clearly! So this just my humble opinion!)

Hope it is a quick and successful repair, and your out and on the road again soon. Travel safe, have fun, and my ongoing best thoughts,
Smitty

Tags
extended warranty, norcold, recall