Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #1

Norcold four door fridge, no power 1999 HR Endeavor

This problem is getting the best of me. What I know.

Fridge on/off switch on front above the right lower door will not do anything.
Propane tank is 3/4 full.
MH diesel tank is 1/2 full.
110 volt power to outlet in outside fridge access.
A red light is on on the black box top left of access area.
Batteries are low, but am attached to shore power.
Batteries were left with MH attached to shore power for a year and were very low on water. Filled with water earlier today. Have two new batteries if those don't come up and stay up. Charge controller made a humming noise for an hour or so and voltage went down to 5.5 volts from 8 volts but is now climbing back up and charge controller no longer hums.
Cannot find a circuit breaker or fuse blown.
Microwave/convection oven shows no signs of life and the outlet it should be plugged into has no power.

My thoughts (I'm very new to MH but have some elec knowledge). Just bought MH and the person I bought it from knew next to nothing about it so I'm on my own.
It seems to me that there is a blown fuse somewhere. Looked on right side of bed breaker box and outside driver side front panel. Nothing blown.

Does anyone have an idea where I should look? or what could be wrong? Remember I'm dumb as a rock about this MH but I am really looking forward to living in it full time and meeting some of you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
drbaker48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #2

OK if I am reading between the lines.........
You HAVE 120V AC power at outlet in outside fridge compartment where fridge AC Power cord plugs into....correct?

You have NO lights on upper fridge display panel (no interior fridge light either)...correct?

You have a small black box attached to backside of fridge in outside compartment and it has a RED light ON....correct?

Fridge requires 12V DC Voltage to function ---electric or propane....display panel/interior light etc
RED light on black box (Norcold Recall Box) means that that box has tripped which shuts down ALL DC to fridge.
Recall Box trips for a few reasons:
1) Fridge has overheated (700*F) and that Recall Box did what Norcold intended for it to do.....cooling unit leak (Check down around burner area for any signs of Yellow Residue....LEAK/Cooling Unit Shot

2) Recall Box is faulty......they have gone thru several 'versions' and it should be REV 'E'....look thru opening at circuit bd for REV. If anything other then 'E' it needs to be replaced ----Norcold Authorized Repair only
3) Recall Box got wet from RAIN or from washing RV

What to do.....(If no Yellow Residue)

Check the REV on RECALL BOX
You can 'reset' the box by placing a STRONG magnet on face on box towards top and move it slowly side to side. Magnet will pull reed switch back to Open position
After reset you should have DC Power to fridge....lights inside and on upper display

Try and turn fridge on and let it cool down (at least for 12 HRS). RV needs to be level when operating fridge!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #3

Thank you Old Biscuit. That was very helpful. Tomorrow I have my work cut out for me.

Yes, you are correct. Inside lights do not work.

I don't remember any yellow residue when looking around earlier, but will check again,

I have a feeling you are right about the Recall Box. Will check that tomorrow. I do not know what happened before I got the MH. So who knows. Former owner said that he left the fridge on the last time he used it (a year ago) and it stayed cold until it ran out of propane. It was on a covered concrete slab in Yuma. The last time it rained in Yuma, Adam was a young man. Funny he said it was working until ran out of propane.

Could the poorly maintained batteries have caused the Recall Box to trip?

Again, THANK YOU! It will be great to finally understand this MH. I've about worn out the manuals. Have a great night.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #4

Any luck? You also mentioned the microwave not having power
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Poorly maintained batteries just cause lack of DC for ALL of the RV

Recall Box Trips due to reasons I posted above.
Loss of DC to RV is NOT a cause
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Get an install the ARP controller, soon to be called “fridge defend” asap. https://www.arprv.com. You will want this level of safety.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

Well, it took 7 days and two minutes to fix the fridge. One screw driver to open access panel and one magnet to fix problem. THANK YOU Old Biscuit. You are a life saver. If I ever meet you on the road, dinner is on me.

Rev is D, so I'll have to get Rev E as soon as I can.

I love this forum. You guys and gals are so helpful. Thank you all for responding.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #8

nathaniel, The only thing I've done with the micro oven is check that the outlet is dead and plugged it into an extension cord I know was hot. Still dead. No life at all.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #9

Jake21, will check it out. Thanks.

Tags
1999, door, fridge, norcold, power