Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

The suspense is killing me!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #16

In hot weather I usually plan ahead at least 24 to 32 hours of frig running time and then it is usually OK for food. I also have a little fan for the inside which I point toward the fins. It takes 2 "D" cell batteries. It helps keep the air circulated after you have packed the frig.

Check the exterior fans.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Deucenut, it is true, you need to give the Norcold time to do it's job. It is an excellent refrigerator. Ours ( model # 611T) works exceptionally well. We are very please with it. But i am here to tell you this: Do not overload your refrigerator door or the cheap plastic hinge will break! Please heed this advice because our door hinge broke this past weekend and when I did a Google serch on how to repair it I was amazed at how many folks have experienced the exact same thing!
Our Norcold model 611T is an excellent performing refrigerator, but to manufacture a $1000.00 plus refrigerator and put a hinge on it that is known to fail is unconcionable!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
This is what your fans look like. You cannot see them from the inspection cover, but you should be able to hear them running. Place a piece of tissue near the bottom vent cover and see if air is being drawn inward.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #19

My new samsung is cold in minutes. Sorry, couldn't resist. I hated that it took my norcold 1200 hours before I felt comfortable loading it.

One piece of advice, give it something to cool versus being completely empty, like a gallon jug of water for example.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post

Anyway, does anyone know what is wrong with the fridge?

It's a NotSoCold, that's the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post

My new samsung is cold in minutes. Sorry, couldn't resist. I hated that it took my norcold 1200 hours before I felt comfortable loading it.

Chris
Wow, 1200 hours before feeling comfortable with loading food into the NotSoCold!

That's probably a truer statement than anything else listed on this thread.

Chris, my Samsung residential will chill down a 12 pack of beer in about 4-5 hours. Quicker if I took a 6 pack and put it into the freezer.

Try that with ANY of the absorption fridges! You may have cool beverages in 3-4 days if your are lucky but they will never be cold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #21

While, really a surprise that it took to thread 19 and 20 to mention the Samsung swap out!

OP - More time to cool, and when was the last time the unit was serviced?

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I am going to get something off my chest. Warning, if you are a strong absorption fridge proponent then just pass this post right on by.

I owned a Norcold 1200 absorption fridge for over 9 years. There were some good years but most of them were bad years.

I spent thousands of dollars on "fixes", recalls, fans, thermistors, control boards, broken doors, spoiled milk, spoiled ice cream and food, you name it I've been there and done that.

Am I the exception? I don't think so. If one was to do a search on this forum for Norcold problems, you will find many THOUSANDS of posts. I would bet that if any moderator ever did a survey of what the overall most popular topic discussed since inception of this forum, it would be the Norcold absorption fridge.

Almost everyday I see a "new" post from a member asking for help with their warm Norcold.

Look it folks, if you want information there are thousands of posts documented here that you can read. Let your fingers do the walking and your eyes do the reading.

If you don't want to hear about residential fridges and their advantages over the absorption type fridges then don't read the threads.

If you do a current poll of the number of people who have bailed on their less than useful absorption fridge, you will find some alarming results, trust me.

People are switching by the hundreds and that isn't just the motorcoach people but it's RVer's in general. Why is that?

RV absorption fridges are becoming an option and not what comes standard in the RV. So why is that?

Maybe they know something more that you do!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #23

In a hour the rear walls of the freezer should be at or near freezing however the fridge will need much longer and if you keep checking it the thing will take days to get cold LOL. Here is a tip from a customer of mine when I was in TX take a stem vase ( one of those little tube people put a single stem flower in with a rubber nipple) fill it with water and insert a stem thermometer in it then stick it to the side wall of the fridge near the back. This will let you monitor product temp not air temp. The old cooling performance test was 12 hours on high with a empty fridge other than a glass of water with a thermometer in it. As you look into the fridge the coldest fin will be to the far left on one of the fins near the right is the temp sensor which plugs into a 4 pin connector with the interior light. Unplug the sensor and it will force the fridge to remain in max cooling mode. If it gets colder you may have a thermistor issue. If you move the thermistor to the right on a warmer fin it will also force the unit to run colder. Inspect the area around the burner if you see any yellow powder you have a leaking unit which will also cause it to preform poorly. Next verify air flow in the rear of the fridge air must go thru the coils and not be able to go around them often we have to add baffles to make this happen. Esp in the ones mounted in slide outs. Some of them have really bad air flow. Hope this helps.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am going to get something off my chest. Warning, if you are a strong absorption fridge proponent then just pass this post right on by.

I owned a Norcold 1200 absorption fridge for over 9 years. There were some good years but most of them were bad years.

I spent thousands of dollars on "fixes", recalls, fans, thermistors, control boards, broken doors, spoiled milk, spoiled ice cream and food, you name it I've been there and done that.

Am I the exception? I don't think so. If one was to do a search on this forum for Norcold problems, you will find many THOUSANDS of posts. I would bet that if any moderator ever did a survey of what the overall most popular topic discussed since inception of this forum, it would be the Norcold absorption fridge.

Almost everyday I see a "new" post from a member asking for help with their warm Norcold.

Look it folks, if you want information there are thousands of posts documented here that you can read. Let your fingers do the walking and your eyes do the reading.

If you don't want to hear about residential fridges and their advantages over the absorption type fridges then don't read the threads.

If you do a current poll of the number of people who have bailed on their less than useful absorption fridge, you will find some alarming results, trust me.

People are switching by the hundreds and that isn't just the motorcoach people but it's RVer's in general. Why is that?

RV absorption fridges are becoming an option and not what comes standard in the RV. So why is that?

Maybe they know something more that you do!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'll agree with much of what you say however from my side most of the issues with Norcold and Dometic for that matter are that people do not realize what they have and how it works. Point one it is a absorption refrigerator so no it will not do what your household fridge will do the temps are not the same nor is the cooling capacity. It is however a great system when accepted for what it can do which is keep your food with very little energy needed. The big thing with household units in RV's is they can't travel worth a darn I have already replaced several with issues because of vibration from being shaken on the road. Tell any of them your using it in a RV and watch your warranty fade away. The next issue is winterizing them several of the are a PITA to winterize and often don't get done properly then you have a sprinkler system in the spring if they freeze. A couple of the newer units we have do not even have a access door for them to be winterized so the only way to do them is ruin the filter and pump gallons of antifreeze thru them. The other option is to pull them out and get to the valves in the back either way not gonna be cheap every year.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Norcold fridge...need help

Not true with my 4-Door Norcold refrigerator. it will easily cool down that beer ice cold in 4-5 hours.

Seriously, my Norcold fridge works great, gets ice cold quickly and stays that way. Makes plenty of ice too. I usually run it on '7' on the 1-9 scale. Any higher is just too cold. I love my Norcold fridge and it's ability to quickly and automatically switch from propane to electric and back. I would rather have this than a residential fridge. Winterized in minutes, too.

Cheers.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #26

The Not-So-Cold looks like it is living up to its name. The best place for that frig is in the scrap yard. Mine on a 75deg day the freezer would be -0 and the frig was 52degs after 24hrs and the fans never turned off.
If you are going to keep it put a smoke alarm in the back of it to give you time to get out if it goes up in smoke because the front is sealed up tight.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Oh No! Now you've done it!

The Norcold post cops will be here shortly stating that it now only took 26 posts before someone alluded to the NotSoCold catching on fire.

Plus you will be forever attached to the "fear mongering" group for life.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our Norcold always took a good day or more to cool down. I would be interested to know if the OP unit has finally done so.

The Norcold/residential is a "hot button" topic here. I can see both sides of the issue. After a few years of fooling around with our Norcold we gave up and went the Samsung route. We are very happy with it but I understand how it isn't for everyone. This is not the topic in this thread so I will leave it at that
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, need help, norcold