Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrobin View Post
How about Dometic? are they any better units?
I can say I've never heard of a unit being swollen and filled with water from condensation.. I've replaced many cooling units over the years and Im not quite sure how they could become swollen with water since the entire unit is expanded foam which is formed/blown into the chassis of the unit - there is nothing to absorb water - there are no "pockets" where water could collect... perhaps get a 2nd opinion on the chassis condition.

Nonetheless in response to your question, yes, in my personal opinion, the Dometic units are of a better quality in absorption type refrigerators. The Dometic 2+2 (RM1350) is a direct replacement for the Norcold 1200LRIM. The freezer section is not divided so there is definitely more room for larger items it cools much better not having 2 seperate compartments in the freezer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My Norcold 1200 also works very well, with 35 degree beer and 0-degree ice cream in the freezer. I've installed an ARP fridge boiler controller to hopefully prevent a fire (not foolproof, but improves safety immensely).

Many high end coach owners are replacing with residential units. Many give away working Norcold 1200's, or sell them for a song. And RV dealers get them too, though they usually just trash them.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #17

Thanks for all the replies, This unit is in a 2003 Winnebago journey 34'. When we purchased the unit in 2004, I thought that it seemed like the fridge ran too much, I could hear the burner on propane side when dry camping and even in cooler weather, would run way into the early AM before shutting down. (I am a light sleeper) So I had an Rv place perform service check, which also extended the warrantee for a year, and they gave it an OK, and told me these 4 doors had to run a lot, since they were a bigger size. We have been hard on the coach, 2 trips to Alaska, 2 winters in Baja, down to Cabo, allover the west, many backroads and gravel roads, so expect to have to replace some things, just want to make the best repair for the money we can. I am going to examine the unit on Monday myself, the swelling they described sounds strange to me as well, but my wife did notice a year or so ago that the left freezer compartment inside the door at the top was bowed down, which could have been caused by something in there swelling up, but I will post after an inspection, Thanks all, b
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #18

94 Newmar, Would you be as confident in a new dometic as in a rebuilt nocold with the Amish cooling unit?
Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #19

My BIL has 2014 Fleetwood with Dometic. Been at factory almost 2 weeks. The refer was big issue and they are trying to solve cooling issue. Not sure you would be any better off with Dometic.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrobin View Post
94 Newmar, Would you be as confident in a new dometic as in a rebuilt nocold with the Amish cooling unit?

If you're at that point in your decision making, and a resi fridge does not fit your lifestyle, then yes I would replace the norcold with a dometic hands down. If for nothing else the dometic 1350 freezer section is not divided like the norcold 1200 is which makes a huge difference in both storage and cooling ability.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norcold Fridge replacement

I just sold my Norcold 1200 box w/Amish cooling unit on Craigslist for $600, after replacing it with a Samsung. It was less than I wanted, but it was the only offer I received after two weeks of listing it. There are others like me, so just keep your eyes open.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #22

Went to inspect the fridge today, apparently the cooling unit was replaced before we bought the coach, and the installation was poor, not sealed properly to the back of the fridge allowing fresh air to come into the cooling coils,causing constant condensation, the box is foam, and did not swell, but the foam around the sealed area was deteriorated and soft to the touch, not solid like other areas of the box. the air leak also contributed to the unit not being as cold as it should be, and the burner running excessively, the foam around the burner area was also showing some deterioration.
We are pressed for time on the repair so have decided to bite the bullet and install a new unit. Thanks to all who replied for you info, B
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
When I talked to "Leon" at National RV in Shipshewana he said that the guy who makes the Amish cooling units will only warranty them if he installs the units. The reason was because people were buying them and installing them improperly and because of that they were failing.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #24

For all of you who are so into "residential reefer's" in place of Norcold, we are starting to see a problem with these replacement units failing due to their not being designed to take the pounding of over the road travel. I have talked to a number of motorhomers who are on their second residential unit and others who are on their second compressor. I am confident that the higher priced units will probably handle the rigors of motorhome usage, but it may not be the great solution as it appears at first glance.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a 10 year warranty on my Samsung. I will gladly repair/replace it under warranty if the need arises. Best upgrade I have done to date.

Craig

Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #26
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi View Post
For all of you who are so into "residential reefer's" in place of Norcold, we are starting to see a problem with these replacement units failing due to their not being designed to take the pounding of over the road travel. I have talked to a number of motorhomers who are on their second residential unit and others who are on their second compressor. I am confident that the higher priced units will probably handle the rigors of motorhome usage, but it may not be the great solution as it appears at first glance.
Who's WE?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Who's WE?

I was wondering the same thing...

Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #28
KIX

Gadget Man sine Mississippi's post was 9/30 we (you and I) may never find out who WE is.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold, replace, replacement