Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Norcold frig

Hello...we are new to this blog...joined because we saw a great deal of conversation about the Norcold frig......................

We had decided to install the Samsung FD 197...we already have 3 AGM batteries...and go all electric with our coach...also change from propane cook top to a Kenyon induction cook top

BUT....we have had this coach 7 and 1/2 years...and although we do not do heavy dry camping anymore...we still like to stop along the way here and there.....

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to maintain our ability to stop along the way without being overwhelmed by the generator...which we run whenever we cook.....anyone out there with experience with a residential frig??

We have an 05 country coach allure 470 40 ft w/ 4 slides....we love it....once we took off on our maiden voyage 12/04....we never looked back.

We can't imagine living without this freedom we feel

Thanks D&M
foreverlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
KIX

We have the coach in the sig. and it now has a RF197 Samsung refer and LP cooktop. The battery bank we have had for several years is 3 Optima blue tops (12 volt batts.) Although we have been happy with Optimas the capacity has been lacking. I think the usable AHs are about 85 (batts' discharged to 50%). With every load turned off except for the Samsung running off the inverter we can go 6 hours without the gen to recharge. Although we can actually turn the refer off overnight in cool temps we want more capacity. We too cry camp infrequently.
We are in the process of changing over to four 6 volt Trojan T-105's and expect to boost our usable capacity by almost a factor of 3.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #3

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
My coach as with many that are all electric uses 2 banks of 4, 6v batteries through 2 2800 watt inverters. Don't boondock much, however.
Here is a good post about the swap. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...dq-102210.html
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kix, I installed the Trojan T-145 plus batteries. Paid a little more for them than the T-105, but I am very happy with them. The T-145 plus batteries are about 1 inch taller than the T-105. We just got thru dry camping at Quartzsite for 2 weeks. We would turn the generator on for about 2 hrs per day.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverlost View Post
Hello...we are new to this blog...joined because we saw a great deal of conversation about the Norcold frig......................

We had decided to install the Samsung FD 197...we already have 3 AGM batteries...and go all electric with our coach...also change from propane cook top to a Kenyon induction cook top

BUT....we have had this coach 7 and 1/2 years...and although we do not do heavy dry camping anymore...we still like to stop along the way here and there.....

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to maintain our ability to stop along the way without being overwhelmed by the generator...which we run whenever we cook.....anyone out there with experience with a residential frig??

We have an 05 country coach allure 470 40 ft w/ 4 slides....we love it....once we took off on our maiden voyage 12/04....we never looked back.

We can't imagine living without this freedom we feel

Thanks D&M
Hi foreverlost,

We just installed a Samsung RF197. According to the Energy Guide sticker, this model is supposed to use 445 KWH of electricity a year. This works out to about 1.2 KWH a day.

After giving the Samsung a few days to cool off and stabilize, I put a Kill-a-Watt meter on it and let it run for several more days. I found it uses more like 1.5 to 1.6 KWH per day. This equates to about 125 to 133 amp-hr a day at 12 volts.

I expect the residential refrigerator will use more power in hot weather (it was in the 70s here in Florida when I ran the test), and you will have to add your other electrical usage to get an idea of your overall consumption. I suspect the induction cooktop will use a lot of power.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
Kix, I installed the Trojan T-145 plus batteries. Paid a little more for them than the T-105, but I am very happy with them. The T-145 plus batteries are about 1 inch taller than the T-105. We just got thru dry camping at Quartzsite for 2 weeks. We would turn the generator on for about 2 hrs per day.
Thanks for that info. I wish we had the vertical space for the 145's.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold