Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Norcold not cold enough

Norfold 1200 refer section has been operating fine since 2004.
Now it starts out at 40 degs. In the AM and climbs to 50-55 degs during the PM.
Replaced thermal senser, installed fan system next to upper fins, checked for obstruction in the flue area, installed senser 2ND fin, and made sure of current upgrades (recalls). Freezer is -9 to +5 degs. (Happly zone for me)
Time for a new boiler? Checked Norcold pdf manual...
Help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

Are you running on LP or AC?

Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
Are you running on LP or AC?
Both, indepently.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My system basically is doing the same thing. We were getting ready to go on a trip last week so started the frig on Tuesday afternoon. I put a wireless temp sensor in the freezer and the frig, monitored it until Thursday afternoon and the system finally was cold enough to put food in. The temps rose while loading, food was already cold, I even put frozen freezer blocks in the freezer and the temps went to ~15F in the freezer and climbed to +45F in the frig. The next morning before we were getting ready to leave the temp in the freezer was at -1F and the frig was ~38F. Over the course of the weekend the temps climbed because of the amount the doors were opened with freezer usually at 10F and refrig at ~42-45F.

Over the weekend I ran both on LP and AC to see if it made a difference, it didn't.

I cleaned the burner flue, I already ad extra fan in the back, and I moved the frig sensor toward the end up high hoping it would improve cooling but it is still marginal. I checked the amps on each of the AC heater and they both were making about 225 watt as the spec called for.

Wondering what else I can do.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I am also having the same issue but have not tried the outside fan yet
Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We are installing the amish cooling unit.
Our propane quit cooling the fridge section.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We are installing the amish cooling unit.
Our propane quit cooling the fridge section.
You will love it! Ours work fantastic now.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Over a year after replacing my 1200 with a Sumsung residential unit I cannot imagine why everyone wouldn't want to do this! Only advantage to 1200 is boondocking, and even that is marginal. I get way more room, way better temp control, way better ice quantity and the darn thing even looks better.

If you are going to dump a bunch of money on an amish unit (which is good I hear), consider a residential conversion.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Over a year after replacing my 1200 with a Sumsung residential unit I cannot imagine why everyone wouldn't want to do this! Only advantage to 1200 is boondocking, and even that is marginal. I get way more room, way better temp control, way better ice quantity and the darn thing even looks better.

If you are going to dump a bunch of money on an amish unit (which is good I hear), consider a residential conversion.

Chris
Not sure anyone makes a short enough residential unit, as my furnace is below the refer. Also, for a proper residential install, one would have to add batteries and inverter.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Turned on my Norcold 1200 yesterday. I just checked the temp in the center of the refrigerator section. It was 27.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
harleyjt, That is why I did the Amish unit. I would have also had to move the furnace to fit the residential unit in. I did look very deep into the idea. Decided to stick with what has worked many years for us in the past.
By the way, with Amish unit in the Norcold & set at 5, Refer is 34 degrees and freezer is at -1.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

I've had similar issues with my 1200 off and on especially when it's 100F outside and the sun is shining right on that side of the coach.

Since we aren't full timers, I've just gone to 'helping' out the fridge by freezing some 500ml water bottles and putting a 5 1/4" fan on top of them (the type that takes 2 D cells to run). Batteries on the fan last a couple of days, and with the frozen water (which, as it unfreezes, we drink and replace with bottles frozen in the freezer part of the unit as we go along), even in the ugly conditions mentioned above, I can keep the fridge at 36F without an issue.

It's not as elegant as other solutions, but since the cost for our use pattern is perhaps $30/year (and we don't nearly fill up our entire 1200 when we travel) it's a pretty reasonable solution in my mind.

Steve
Old 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, no matter what your opinion, the Norcold 1200 was a bad design. There are a lucky few who never had issues. We kept ours afloat for 7 years, until I got tired of dealing with it. I don't think posting that you particular unit is running cold helps the OP.

"scotcee".....Not many know this and I found it out by accident. There are two different thermistors for the Norcold 1200. I've had luck replacing the thermistor when the fridge started having cooling issues. One thermistor is for models made somewhere around 2005 and before and for those made after that date. Last time I bought one, I had to search the forum for a long time, before I found someone that had both. They had a spot for a serial number input to determine which one you need. I can't tell you if they are truly different, but when I replaced mine with the correct model it worked okay. I could keep my Norcold working at about 32-36 degrees by running extra exterior fans, interior fans and shutting the unit off every morning to prevent the defroster cycle from coming on. On hot travel days, all bets were off.

At some point, I just had enough and got tired of managing it's operation, fear of fire or quitting on a trip, carefully packing of the refer and opening the doors just enough to grab something so I didn't lose any cold air. Before replacing mine with a residential unit, I looked seriously at the Amish unit. I watched videos where it seemed like the secret to the Amish unit was sealing them well and making sure the rear fans were working properly, but then many of those who installed the Amish units were having just as many failures.

I don't think there is any perfect answer. Many are leery about changing to a residential unit, some don't want to spend the money (even though it can be cheaper than a new Norcold), some don't have the room. Keep in mind, you won't find anyone who regrets a residential refer install or a residential unit in a new coach. It is the future!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

I was just reading that Norcold has a recall on some models. 4 door model 1200-1201, Models 1210 & 1211. Make sure you don't have a recal unit. Those are 4 door units, 2 door units have recalls on models N621 & 641 and 821 & 841. Go online for Norcolds phone and they will tell you if its a recall, they will also need the serial #.