Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

Norcold out of door?

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution 40C. The Norcold 1200 has been repaired so many times that it's worn out.
I was able to find a very good (almost new) Norcold 1210. I've had it running outside the coach and its MUCH better than my 1200.

My question is - has anyone ever moved one thru the door?

I can remove the passenger seat and door to help. And I'll remove the fridge doors. Measurements work but, sometimes they lie when it comes time to move in/out.

I'll need to call in some favors to do it.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Remove the doors from both units in addition to what you had suggested.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2014 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Ecodiesel Toad
2013 Scion XB Toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forumk
Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I removed my old norcold through the door. Remove fridge doors first, and on the coach door pull the stop pin so door will fully open.
I reclined the passenger seat for extra clearance there.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Ront77"....I've done two installs and assisted on a third. All three went through the front door. As stated, disconnect the stop on your front door. This will allow the door to swing all the way forward, giving you the width of the door in extra opening width. Definitely remove the passenger seat. Take some cardboard and tape it to your dash to protect it. Many have used those lifting straps that hook to your arms to lift. On the three I've done, we just used two people to lift them out.

Lastly, go to Harbor Freight and buy one of those rolling wooden furniture dollies with four wheels. Build a frame on it, so it's the same height as your Norcold refer. This way you can slide the old refer onto the dolly and roll it across the coach. Installing the new one is easier with dolly....just roll it up and slide it in.

We put our old Norcold on Ebay and sold it for $300.00, my sister sold hers for $350.00.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #5

Thanks for the confirmation it will work.
I've already removed the fridge doors, mounted it on a rolling platform, removed the passenger seat and I'm going to remove the coach door just to be safe.

I'll report back after its done.

Thanks again
Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
YC1

The Norcold had already been removed. This is the delivery men carrying the new one into place. The X on the mans back is not suspenders. It is a carrying strap that basically allows them to put their hands anywhere necessary and they can move their hands if needed. The straps went under the new refer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	628.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	135031  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

You guys are lucky, had to remove slide window to get ours in and out on our Dutch Star
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can get the old one out cause you can disassemble it. Getting the new one will be tougher unless you do the same.

My coach is essentially identical to yours as far as door and dash area are concerned. I replaced my 1200 with a residential and had to remove the cooling unit from the 1200 to get the carcass out of the door. The residential was physically smaller (exterior) than the 1200, and it just squeaked through the entry door. The main problem was that the overhead tv and center console were in the way, making it necessary to turn the corner before the bottom of the box was all the way through the door.

I removed the passenger seat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
my question is, what are you bringing in?

When we replaced our fridge the problem was the head knocker holding the tv in the front. It didn't allow for the new fridge to come in, so we pulled a window and came in that way.

OR like gary said, pull the passenger seat.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #10

I know it sound crazy that doing all this work and putting a Norcold 1210 back in. I really don't want a residential at this time.

My current unit is just worn out. Especially bad door gaskets and leaking ice maker.
I found an almost new 1210 for $300. I've been running it on electric and gas and it test out fine. So, it's going in.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

RVROAMER

What model residential did you use?

Did you have to upgrade your inverter
Old 08-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be surprised if the head knocker isn't in the way. If so it's a great time to take it out & cut 5" off of it and put in a new TV. I took the cooling unit off to take the Norcold out of my 40C but I had previously shortened the head knocker. I also removed the seat.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
RVROAMER

What model residential did you use?

Did you have to upgrade your inverter
I installed a basic 14.6 cu ft GE top freezer model. Nothing fancy and Energy Star version was only $550, but it's still 20% larger (interior size) than the 1200 was, so a nice bonus. (The non Energy Star model is cheaper yet).

I chose to install a AIMS 1000W pure sine inverter dedicated to the fridge circuit but using the same battery bank as my existing Xantrex RV2500. It has a built-in auto transfer switch, but I also added a manual transfer so I can bypass the inverter completely and turn it off. We mostly park for extended stays these days, so I figured bypassing the inverter is worthwhile. It only cost me about $10 and an extra hour to wire in a simple DPDT switch to do that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Ront77"......no offense, but you probably found an inexpensive 1210 for the same reason your getting rid of yours......it doesn't perform well.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, norcold