Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Norcold Refrigerator

Am really stumped! We have a double door Norcold. Ice maker broke. So called a repair man. He said needed new solenoid,so he put one on. Did not fix,water poured into thru ice tray and into bin. So now have purchased a new Norcold ice maker,installed it. Now the water goes in tray but tray does not dump the ice out. So the next cycle of water flows into ice bib and freezes. Any idea what to do next? Nanaj
NanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure what model you have, but you can take a look at this service manual: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Had enough of the rv refrigerators. They nickel and dime you death. And when you really need it to perform, the temperature is in the high 40's or 50's. Works fine in the warehouse. Checked the power gear leveling with 4 different leveling positions. Made sure the fans were running. Never changed when we went camping. So I removed the Dometic piece of crap and I am in the process of installing a residential 18 cubic foot. The best part is they both will go through the door. So that means I can buy 4 residential for what you would spend for 1 RV refrigerator.
cauffield64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

I went residential 4 years ago, ditched the Not-So-Cold and never looked back plus they paid me to do it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:41 AM   #5

Hey two stroker, who paid you?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #6

There was a Norcold settlement last year.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauffield64 View Post
Had enough of the rv refrigerators. They nickel and dime you death. And when you really need it to perform, the temperature is in the high 40's or 50's. Works fine in the warehouse. Checked the power gear leveling with 4 different leveling positions. Made sure the fans were running. Never changed when we went camping. So I removed the Dometic piece of crap and I am in the process of installing a residential 18 cubic foot. The best part is they both will go through the door. So that means I can buy 4 residential for what you would spend for 1 RV refrigerator.

Every time someone asks for help on their refrigerator, The same comments are made regarding residential units, The comments do not help the OP.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

When I replaced my ice maker (purchased from Lowes) I wired it, mounted and turned on refrigerator and let it cool down (overnight). The next morning I lowered the arm down and turned on water pump.
After a few seconds you should hear the water filling up the ice tray. If it overfills the tray you can adjust the amount of water thats sent to the ice maker.

To adjust the amount of water I removed the ice maker and turned the plastic adjustment screw on the side of ice maker.

Note: I remember that the instructions warned that only small adjustments are required.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

Our Norcold would not dump ice on occasion. The ice maker needs 120 Vac to momentarily warm up the bottom of the ice maker so the rotating dispensing arm can lift the ice out. If something prevented the rotating arm not getting to the new ice (like a piece of ice from last cycle) at the very beginning of the cycle, the ice refreezes to the tray and will not come out. I had to cycle the power from AC to propane for several hours then back to AC so tray heater would go through another cycle.

There might be other ways but that solved my problem.

John
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I went residential 4 years ago, ditched the Not-So-Cold and never looked back plus they paid me to do it.
2 stroker
Love the Norcold. Ours has worked perfectly for 7 years. love having propane and electric. Sorry for your bad luck.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Had enough of the rv refrigerators. They nickel and dime you death.
Agree, but it's not relevant here. The ice maker in an RV fridge is the same as a residential fridge. Literally the same - they are interchangeable parts.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now the water goes in tray but tray does not dump the ice out. So the next cycle of water flows into ice bib and freezes. Any idea what to do next?
That part of the sequence is controlled by the ice maker itself. It warms the ice tray via its built in heater and loosens the cubes in the tray, and then a motor turns the picker arm to push the cubes out and fall into the bin underneath. It appears yours is either not heating the tray or the motor isn't turning the picker. Note that if the tray doesn't get heated to loosen the cubes, the picker can't move them into the bin. Presumably both heater and motor are new in your replacement ice maker unit, so I have to guess something didn't get wired up correctly or got damaged during install.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
Every time someone asks for help on their refrigerator, The same comments are made regarding residential units, The comments do not help the OP.

Although I got rid of my Norcold this yr. I agree and was thinking the same thing as I starting reading the posts the OP is asking for some help.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
TWT

We had a Norcold refrigerator in the '09 Cameo fifth wheel that we traded in for the '05 Itasca Horizon that we have, now. The coach also has a Norcold, a 4-door. The only thing we've had done was the recall that added a safety cutoff. I've had to reset it only once, with a magnet. We have been very happy with the fridge, except for one thing...

I have replaced the ice maker and the solenoid valve; but, quit using it since it always overflowed the tray and froze everything up! I might put a little more effort into it, just to see if it can be made to work.

I won't ever put a household fridge in anything made for camping. That would defeat the purpose of owning a "camper."...

YOMD, but, that's mine.

Tom
TWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator